Today's lessons learned

http://www.buffalonews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20130618/BUSINESS/130619106

1. You need a four-year degree, and be on the Dean's list, to apply for a call-center job.
  2. You need a four-year degree, and be on the Dean's list, for a job that pays $34,000/year.
  3. Call-center jobs get tax breaks and low-cost electricity from NYS.
  4. NYS gives tax breaks to call centers, but wouldn't give any tax breaks to Wilson Greatbatch when they moved their headquarters to Dallas last year for tax reasons.

http://www.buffalone...INESS/130619106

1. You need a four-year degree, and be on the Dean's list, to apply for a call-center job.

2. You need a four-year degree, and be on the Dean's list, for a job that pays $34,000/year.

3. Call-center jobs get tax breaks and low-cost electricity from NYS.

4. NYS gives tax breaks to call centers, but wouldn't give any tax breaks to Wilson Greatbatch when they moved their headquarters to Dallas last year for tax reasons.

I guess I need to put a disclaimer in here.... I TEACH people skills and product knowledge to call centers for a major company (not Yahoo) that always ranks highly for outstanding customer service...

1 and 2... Yeah, those qualifications I can't say I agree with, but with such a depressed labor force, I see more and more companies doing this same thing, setting requirements well beyond anything that are normally set. We actually did that for a while too, but the with the turnover, I finally convinced them to lower the bar, and we now hire people with a focus more on Soft Skills than hard skills like degrees and education... I thought we were loosing out on some major quality people because of this, and that doing away with this requirement, actually gave us a way to chose people that would be happy in a career in a call center...

Back to the turnover a minute though... The vast majority of the turnover we experienced, was due to promotion within our own company, gaining jobs in other departments and fields.... A fantastic thing, I'm proud of every single one of them for achieving.... I could see these Yahoo jobs being similar, in a depressed job market, becoming a foot in the door type scenario for the ones hired, and the requirements make me think that is exactly what they have in mind...

3 and 4.... This is our beloved Western NY right?? Where taxes are too high already, and sure to go up? On companies and the people?? And we're going to complain because FINALLY, someone realizes this problem, and gives a tax break to lure jobs???

I left "home" many years ago, because of the taxes and lack of opportunity, and I know, there are many here who have done the same... Maybe it's about time to make some changes, heck, if they made enough, I could finally come home....

Wondering if Yahoo needs a trainer too.... have to add a 1 somewhere in those first 3 digits though...

Finally, personally, I hate calling customer service for almost anything, because I know how terrible it's going to be from most companies. I won't mention names, but my cable company always ranks as one of the worst.. Is there really a problem with trying to find highly qualified people in order to provide that special service people should be able to expect?