Terry Pegula GR55 interview

Buftex

Anyone just hear Terry Pegula on GR? The interview just completed, so it is not in their audio vault yet...but just curious of your impressions. I think it is the first time I have heard him being interviewed, as opposed to doing a press conference. I liked some of what he had to say, but was surprised, a little, about how awkward he was communicating. Not a knock, just an observation.

On a hockey note, the most noteworthy thing he said, he wants Vanek and Miller to return, but cautions, the players themselves will have a say in whether they are in a Sabres uniform next season or not.

Also seems as though he is aware of the criticism of others that he "overpays" for players...but it is his team, he will run it as he wants. Also said that some of the players work a lot harder than fans realize, and he is a strong believer in rewarding hard work.

Nothing earth-shattering I realize, just thought it was the first time I had a good feel for the real Terry Pegula, as opposed to a guy waxing poetic about Sabres history.

Many of the questions came from fans, so as you can imagine, some negativity. Pegula seemed most defensive about the decision to keep Darcy.

I will link the interview when it becomes available.

Edited by Buftex

Anyone just hear Terry Pegula on GR? The interview just completed, so it is not in their audio vault yet...but just curious of your impressions. I think it is the first time I have heard him being interviewed, as opposed to doing a press conference. I liked some of what he had to say, but was surprised, a little, about how awkward he was communicating. Not a knock, just an observation.

On a hockey note, the most noteworthy thing he said, he wants Vanek and Miller to return, but cautions, the players themselves will have a say in whether they are in a Sabres uniform next season or not.

Also seems as though he is aware of the criticism of others that he "overpays" for players...but it is his team, he will run it as he wants. Also said that some of the players work a lot harder than fans realize, and he is a strong believer in rewarding hard work.

So Terry isn't cheap but just stupid??? :pirate:

I didn't hear the interview but just going off your points, I'm pretty sure Miller won't be back. He's miserable here. I can see Vanek returning but the problem is he is getting paid like a franchise player. He isn't.

The problem is that the bar got set so high with TP. We all can look at how stupid an owner like Dan Snyder looks by spending like an idiot. However the second we get an owner like that, we go crazy. Fact is, and folks have no patience for it, but teams are built through the draft. Pittsburgh is good because they were terrible for years. Washington changed with the Russian. Toews and Kane were high draft picks. Another reason why Darcy should have been fired years ago is because he isn't a great drafter.

To be clear, I love having an owner like TP. I love the stuff he's doing for the city. But he is still learning on the job and it's goign to take time & I'm sure he's not thrilled either. But this has been a soft team for years. There needs to be a culture change. A guy like Steve Ott is a good start but he's a role player. He's a solid scorer but Vanek shouldn't be the face of your team. We boo guys like Chara and Crosby. When's the last time the Sabres had a guy other teams booed? That's the problem.