If you find youths vandalizing your home....

do not lock them in a closet until police arrive.....

Upstate NY man charged after confining in closet 4 boys caught vandalizing home

CLYDE, N.Y. (AP) -- A man who says he caught four boys vandalizing his father-in-law's home has been charged with child endangerment after corralling them in a closet until police arrived.

The guy's lucky. He could just as easily have been charged with unlawful inprisonment, which would require him to register as a sex offender.

Wait, unlawful imprisonment gets you a sex offender charge, even if you didn't touch the kid(s)? WTF!

Better article - http://www.waynetime...-police-arrived

The parents of the boys, according to police, insisted upon the charges against Daniels, admitting their kids had perhaps caused the damage, but that the Clyde businessman went too far in threatening the boys.

and video - http://www.13wham.co...55zIqqGToA.cspx

There are as many ways to handle this situation as there are for parents to control their children. Parents should call it a draw, pay the damages, respond to whatever charges remain and call it a day in which expensive lessons were learned.

Any parent who backs his child in the commission of blatantly criminal behavior like this is setting a horrible precedent and reinforcing the absolute wrong things.

I'd have thanked the guy, written him a check, and there would have been additional hell to pay.

Let me guess: the parents will end up suing for emotional distress. :rolleyes:

Actually, that's the gist of the charges.

A person is guilty of endangering the welfare of a child when:

1. He or she knowingly acts in a manner likely to be injurious to the

physical, mental or moral welfare of a child less than seventeen years

old or directs or authorizes such child to engage in an occupation

involving a substantial risk of danger to his or her life or health;

Everything else in the statute relates to parental neglect, and it doesn't sound like he was injurious to their physical welfare, nor does it sound like the vandalous little bastards had much more welfare to be injured.

Any parent who backs his child in the commission of blatantly criminal behavior like this is setting a horrible precedent and reinforcing the absolute wrong things.

I'd have thanked the guy, written him a check, and there would have been additional hell to pay.

....and my kids would be mowing that guys lawn and washing his car under my supervision for years.

....and my kids would be mowing that guys lawn and washing his car under my supervision for years.

I'd be putting the handcuffs on my son by myself. And as a side note, if this were me at 8, 9, or 10, by the time my old man got done with me, I'd have been begging to be kept captive in a freaking closet by a hammer-wielding neighbor.

No way should he have sent the kids home and then called the cops. In my experience the stories change when kids relate the incident to parents w/o the victim/police in the same room. The guy did the right thing--keep the kids there until police and parents arrive and then have all hear the incident first hand. Saves a lot of backing and filling later.

I'd be putting the handcuffs on my son by myself. And as a side note, if this were me at 8, 9, or 10, by the time my old man got done with me, I'd have been begging to be kept captive in a freaking closet by a hammer-wielding neighbor.

That's a high quality one liner. :lol: Seriously, though, I would have been in the same boat as you. I rarely 'got it' from my dad...but when I did... I deserved it and I learned from it. Looking at the damages to that house, I suspect this would have been one of the times I would have remembered.

Back to TYTT's original point....what kind of precedent is this parent setting? Everyone gets a trophy in that house.

I thought you guys were going a little overboard until I read the article. $40k in damages? Those little ***** are lucky to still have teeth. And that one dad quoted in the story need look no further than the mirror to find out how his son turned out the way he has. I'd like to prosecute those little bastards.