Michael Jordan is a douche

major

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not saying he's not a douche, cause I don't really care one way or the other...but I think it's pretty clear the supermarket was attempting to use this as a marketing effort, not some "gracious attempt to congratulate MJ". Give me a break.

And what's with the first sentence, lol..." Years ago, Michael Jordan established himself as a dogged competitor that didn’t mind how many bridges he burned or feelings he hurt on his way to getting what he wants." I guess we pretty much know where this guy stands from the get-go :doh:

I couldn't stand Michael Jordan when he was a player.

yes, all that talent, all those clutch shots, mvp awards, championship rings -- what a putz. come to think of it, let's lump him in with Gretzky, Bobby Orr, Wilt and Montana, Walter Payton, Larry Bird and Magic and be done with them. Wooden, too.

i hate success when it comes to sports. rubs me the wrong way.

jw

Edited by john wawrow

yes, all that talent, all those clutch shots, mvp awards, championship rings -- what a putz. come to think of it, let's lump him in with Gretzky, Bobby Orr, Wilt and Montana, Walter Payton, Larry Bird and Magic and be done with them. Wooden, too.

i hate success when it comes to sports. rubs me the wrong way.

jw

such a great post and it is not even 3am... Surprising.

Anyway...Yeah, so, Jordan may be a jerk but so? Who is he in your life?

I couldn't stand Michael Jordan when he was a player. Sounds like he's a douche off the court as well (actually, his induction speech a few years back proved that as well). Here is more proof of air douche: http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nba-ball-dont-lie/federal-judge-calls-michael-jordan-5-million-lawsuit-212003601.html

Using likeness or proprietory names and or images is highly offensive in the retail community. That store was clearly trying to exploit Jordan's name to further their sales with a coupon no less.

Using likeness or proprietory names and or images is highly offensive in the retail community. That store was clearly trying to exploit Jordan's name to further their sales with a coupon no less.

Yeah the grocery chain is at fault for doing that. Stupid move on their part.

But a $5 million dollar lawsuit? Sounds ridiculous to me.

But a $5 million dollar lawsuit? Sounds ridiculous to me.

They call it "sending a message". The next company who tries stuff like this will think twice because a whole bunch of money will be on the table.

Why in the world would anyone be congratulating Michael Jordan in 2009 unless it was for a profit?

Who is he in your life?

Years back our local Chicago area public library was putting out of commission its card catalog. As a fund raiser, they were auctioning off cards signed by authors and what not. Almost all came back returned... Like Eric Clapton... Heck, even John Holecek (grew up in my Illinois town) sent in a bunch of Bills stuff... A leather jacket, football, helmet, etc... Really helped!

The two big Chicago no-show chumps:

Oprah Winfrey

Michael Jordan

They wouldn't even sign a simple card catalog card!

Bums... Stuff was coming in from all over the world... And these two chumps. Practice what they preach? LoL...

Years back our local Chicago area public library was putting out of commission its card catalog. As a fund raiser, they were auctioning off cards signed by authors and what not. Almost all came back returned... Like Eric Clapton... Heck, even John Holecek (grew up in my Illinois town) sent in a bunch of Bills stuff... A leather jacket, football, helmet, etc... Really helped!

The two big Chicago no-show chumps:

Oprah Winfrey

Michael Jordan

They wouldn't even sign a simple card catalog card!

Bums... Stuff was coming in from all over the world... And these two chumps. Practice what they preach? LoL...

They probably never saw the stuff you wanted them to sign. I had the pleasure one weekend in Sonoma to meet a lesser known NASCAR driver that is now a member of the media. He was hanging out in the park with his then crew chief so I struck up a conversation with him. He was really cool and down to earth. Anyway, I asked him what he hated most about being a "celebrity" and his response was signing autographs. He explained to me that walking down the street signing is one thing because you see the person face to face, take what they want signed, sign it and return it to that person. He enjoyed doing that because he was able to have interaction with the person requesting the autograph. What he hated was when he got back to the shop they would have all sorts of posters, die cast cars, cards, pictures, etc. just lined up all over the place and he would spend hours on hours in a room just walking down the line signing things. That's what he didn't like. He also said (and what may actually apply to your case) that most of the time people would send things to him and he would never get it. His manager, PR person, etc. gets those things first and THEY, not him, determines if it is "important" enough to pass on to him. He said that on a few occasions fans would come up and give him grief because he didn't sign something they sent him. My views on autographs changed somewhat with that conversation.

Anyway, sorry for the long post here. Douche or not he is still the best to play the game hands down. I just hope there is a reason why he didn't sign them.

They probably never saw the stuff you wanted them to sign. I had the pleasure one weekend in Sonoma to meet a lesser known NASCAR driver that is now a member of the media. He was hanging out in the park with his then crew chief so I struck up a conversation with him. He was really cool and down to earth. Anyway, I asked him what he hated most about being a "celebrity" and his response was signing autographs. He explained to me that walking down the street signing is one thing because you see the person face to face, take what they want signed, sign it and return it to that person. He enjoyed doing that because he was able to have interaction with the person requesting the autograph. What he hated was when he got back to the shop they would have all sorts of posters, die cast cars, cards, pictures, etc. just lined up all over the place and he would spend hours on hours in a room just walking down the line signing things. That's what he didn't like. He also said (and what may actually apply to your case) that most of the time people would send things to him and he would never get it. His manager, PR person, etc. gets those things first and THEY, not him, determines if it is "important" enough to pass on to him. He said that on a few occasions fans would come up and give him grief because he didn't sign something they sent him. My views on autographs changed somewhat with that conversation.

Anyway, sorry for the long post here. Douche or not he is still the best to play the game hands down. I just hope there is a reason why he didn't sign them.

I hear you and realize that... They (whoever works for them) sent replies back "that they do not stuff like that" Huh? Again, I understand it is a real pain in the butt... But come on, how many miles are we from fans that were paying Jordan's bills? Oprah and her "book push"... Not asking for anything hard... Just a little local love.

One time/shot deal here with card catalogs... Then get tossed... Artists took time and drew on them...

Like Kevin said, it was probably somebody deciding for them they don't sign things like that, I have to believe anything related to a library fund raiser, had it gotten directly to the intended parties would have been returned, probably with extra stuff. It's a shame, but when you are that big, you lose that personal touch.

I hear you and realize that... They (whoever works for them) sent replies back "that they do not stuff like that" Huh? Again, I understand it is a real pain in the butt... But come on, how many miles are we from fans that were paying Jordan's bills? Oprah and her "book push"... Not asking for anything hard... Just a little local love.

Like Kevin said, it was probably somebody deciding for them they don't sign things like that, I have to believe anything related to a library fund raiser, had it gotten directly to the intended parties would have been returned, probably with extra stuff. It's a shame, but when you are that big, you lose that personal touch.

That is what you would think... It wasn't like every person that wrote a book or star with a book... Mostly local people... Two biggest was Winfrey and Jordan. You would think Winfrey would promote a library within 20 miles of the city? Like I said, Clapton sent a card from England. I forget some of the names, got them on floppy disk (that is how long it has been)... LoL... Oh well...

Holecek really threw w/extra some stuff too... Signed picture of him sacking Dan Marino... We should have asked Dan to sign a card and offered it as a set.

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

Here is why I think Jordan is a douche: he used to beat my Knicks all of the time (not a great reason), his arrogant diatribe during his induction speech that bordered on slander towards a few folks, he didn't give back much to his community during his playing years-Charles Barkley said Jordan is as cheap as they come, he is a horrible gm/owner that has brought down his franchise, he could have made a huge difference in the lives of other people across our world with all of his influence- instead he focused on selling shoes, he has a gambling problem that led to his first retirement that the nba swept under the rug to protect their biggest ambassador, etc...

$5 million doesn't sound all that cheap when you consider what the price and process to legitimately obtain rights to his likeness would have been. It would be weeks, probably months of negotiations.

But because they didn't go through all that (as they law clearly states they should have) it's going to cost them...and then some.

And as AD pointed out that "some" will be a "sum" to scare off the next band of bozos who tries to pull the same crap.

It's ludicrous for the judge to call this "greedy." I'm not sure what message that was meant to send other than, "oh you're Michael Jordan, what do you care?" Awfully presumptuous on his part...

$5 million doesn't sound all that cheap when you consider what the price and process to legitimately obtain rights to his likeness would have been. It would be weeks, probably months of negotiations.

But because they didn't go through all that (as they law clearly states they should have) it's going to cost them...and then some.

And as AD pointed out that "some" will be a "sum" to scare off the next band of bozos who tries to pull the same crap.

It's ludicrous for the judge to call this "greedy." I'm not sure what message that was meant to send other than, "oh you're Michael Jordan, what do you care?" Awfully presumptuous on his part...

FWIW, I think the same judge ruled in MJ's favor in a previous case??

Exactly. Jordan is 100% right in this case.