Geno Smith to have sub-package?

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Translation: We think both our QBs suck and we didn't learn anything from last year about having two QBs with their own packages

Mark Sanchez single handedly led them to back to back championship games!!! Since he is the QB, he must be really good because QBs win or lose games by themselves!!

Mark Sanchez single handedly led them to back to back championship games!!! Since he is the QB, he must be really good because QBs win or lose games by themselves!!

Yes, and Ryan Nassib beat the crap out of Geno Smith!

If Geno went to any other team besides a division rival, I'd root for him. I've never seen a kid who was so productive in college who has never been in trouble get so much hate. Now that he is on the Jets, I hope for the worst. And I've never seen a garbage 6-10 team get more media coverage. It's beyond awful.

I can think of another one...an ex-Jets player in fact...he who shall not be named.

I can think of another one...an ex-Jets player in fact...he who shall not be named.

Why can't you say Mark Gastineau's name?

Edited by Fig Newtons

:lol: ... Don't want lightning to strike me if I invoke his name but The Early Bird Owns Worms

Oh, he doesn't get hate as much as people like to point out that he sucks at football and is on a self-serving mission from God.

I don't know about the Marrone/Genius statement but otherwise Code Monkey is right. I don't think Rex is planning on making Geno into Tebow II (not that Rex did much with Tebow I). I think this is all about grooming Geno for an eventual starting job. Rex is apparently thinking Geno won't be ready to be the starter by Week 1, but maybe with more time and some game experience, he might beat out Sanchez later.

Obviously, there's some risk for Rex here as I'm sure he knows. If players (or fans) see more good in Geno than in Sanchez, they might begin calling for him to start before Rex thinks the time is right. QB controversies are never a good thing.

I'm not defending Rex, but other coaches have done similar things to develop a young QB. It's not entirely idiotic.

Remind me of the other starting qbs that split time within a game to get their feet wet?

If Sanchez is named the week one starter, Geno Smith may still make it into the game in certain sub packages. Is NY serious? To me, this is Tebow 2.0. They will under-mind their starter's confidence and fluency by doing this with Geno. I am clearly opposed to this but is anyone in favor? Would anyone like to see the Bills incorporate Kolb as the starter with EJ rotating in for certain packages?

Food for thought on a rainy Thursday...

Linky:

http://profootballta...s-not-starting/

Isn't this essentially what the 49ers did with Smith/Kaepernick prior to making the full switch?

Seems to have garnered some success for them.

Isn't this essentially what the 49ers did with Smith/Kaepernick prior to making the full switch?

Seems to have garnered some success for them.

His rookie year kaepernick was active in 3 games threw 5 passes and had 2 rushes.

In 2013 he had 9 passes (7 in one game) before taking over.

Edited by NoSaint

Remember the old saying, "When you have two QBs you really have none"

Yep. I've been working on the lyrics to a song by that name using the melody from "Me and Bobby McGee."

Translation: We think both our QBs suck and we didn't learn anything from last year about having two QBs with their own packages

Or possibly, "Geno's picking things up pretty slowly and isn't processing the entire playbook so we have to slow things down for him."

Just a theory.

Remind me of the other starting qbs that split time within a game to get their feet wet?

The one that comes to mind for me is Randall Cunningham. He was actually used as a 3rd-down QB and I think it was at an unhappy Ron Jaworski's expense.

Back to the Jets, I haven't seen it posted but there's a whole other drama regarding "Jets West," the informal passing camp that Sanchez has hosted in the past with his receivers (similar to "Camp Fitz" last year).

It's not clear if Geno Smith was invited or not. Both Sanchez and Smith have been very vague in answering questions about it.

Yep. I've been working on the lyrics to a song by that name using the melody from "Me and Bobby McGee."

Or possibly, "Geno's picking things up pretty slowly and isn't processing the entire playbook so we have to slow things down for him."

Just a theory.

The one that comes to mind for me is Randall Cunningham. He was actually used as a 3rd-down QB and I think it was at an unhappy Ron Jaworski's expense.

Back to the Jets, I haven't seen it posted but there's a whole other drama regarding "Jets West," the informal passing camp that Sanchez has hosted in the past with his receivers (similar to "Camp Fitz" last year).

It's not clear if Geno Smith was invited or not. Both Sanchez and Smith have been very vague in answering questions about it.

Yea I thought it was closer to decades than years for the discussion....

If geno wasn't invited (or declined) that would be a great sign of drama to come

How are Bob Griffin and Andrew Luck "rare exceptional talents?" They played one year and Griffin was less accurate than Fitzpatrick. And as far as letting the rookie sit and learn ... that's fine when you have a Brett Favre or one of the Manning boys ... but do you really expect EJ Manuel or Geno Smith to sit and learn from .. chuckle .. Kevin Kolb and Mark Sanchez?? Hail no.

You don't draft a QB in the top 10 to sit on the bench. Give EJ Manuel the ball yesterday.

Ok, We know Fig does not agree with a majority of football pros. He thinks Luck and RGIII are not exceptional talent.

Who says you learn from the starting QB. You learn from the coaching staff who's job it is to teach you and coach you.Who are supposed to help you overcome your weaknesses and build from your strengths.

And we all know that you will ruin a QB if he does not start immediately after he is drafted, look how it ruined Brady and Rodgers to be a backup.

In what alternate reality was EJ drafted in the top 10? We know how well some people are rooted in reality. I just hope the Bills are more firmly based in the real world and not in some fantasy universe.

How did subbing Colin Kaepernick for Alex Smith work out for the Niners?

Yea b.c the Jets are the Niners. Come on now...

You could have put Fitz on the Niners and he would have done good.

Edited by EJ3