Hey JW, some 'Mats 'reunion' info

The Poojer

I remember Septembers but don't remember Pastimes at all. And, in December 1984, I was still alive.

Huh...don't know why, but I remember it as Septembers...my memory is **** these days. But, that was the show. So, I guess it was Pastimes. Being a Stones fan, I remember them doing a sloppy, sloppy version (Chef would have hated it! :lol: Sloppy does sloppy ) of "Start Me Up"...that set-list from Pastimes looks right. Somewhere, I have used to keep a list of every band I went to see, the date, the opener, etc etc I gave up about 15 years ago...but it was a long list.

I actually remember exact dates of almost all of the big shows that I've seen. That Dec 4th date was always a big one for me. Various things happened on that day, including my first Who show in 1979 and my first Springsteen show in 1980.

Septembers was a pretty big bar out by the airport.

It was tiny. That was the show I went to. Tiny bar that was maybe half full. I stood against the back wall and was no more than 20 feet from the stage, which was at floor level. I knew it was on Grant Street but for the life of me could not remember the name. The owner of Home of the Hits on Elmwood self promoted that show. I still remember her telling me, "if you want to see The Replacements on me, here's your one and only chance". Admission was no more than $5.

Jeez...I probably know you!

Was it possible the place was called, either officially, or unofficially September's Pastime Cafe?

Buffalo still is: Jason Isbell's playing in Buffalo. that's big.

jw

enjoy the show, but i wouldnt call it a big get for the city. im one of his biggest fans, and hes a small venue small town kind of performer still. i think hes angered enough music folks along the way that he hasnt gotten the support to get to the next level. every time ive seen him has been smaller than small, and still had trouble gathering a crowd despite probably being among the best writers of the generation, and being very well decorated with awards.

that said - get his new album - its FANTASTIC.

Edited by NoSaint

they have named the replacement guitarist....interesting sounding dude

http://www.spin.com/...-reunion-shows/

naw, that appears to have proven to be a joke.

enjoy the show, but i wouldnt call it a big get for the city. im one of his biggest fans, and hes a small venue small town kind of performer still. i think hes angered enough music folks along the way that he hasnt gotten the support to get to the next level. every time ive seen him has been smaller than small, and still had trouble gathering a crowd despite probably being among the best writers of the generation, and being very well decorated with awards.

that said - get his new album - its FANTASTIC.

i was half-kidding in light of some of the hasbeens and nobody's they're parading through town for much of this summer, and hyping them as great. many are hardly relevant anymore, and too many are hasbeens, including axl.

Isbell is at least current and talented. and he's playing a small club, which should add to the intimacy. too bad Patterson Hood didn't make Buffalo a stop. he played Ithaca last week, and i was unable to make it. to me, Isbell is more than a better consolation prize, given that i've seen Hood front the DBTs a few times already.

and yes, Isbell's new album is on my get list. now i just got to get around to getting it.

jw

Edited by john wawrow

naw, that appears to have proven to be a joke.

i was half-kidding in light of some of the hasbeens and nobody's they're parading through town for much of this summer, and hyping them as great. many are hardly relevant anymore, and too many are hasbeens, including axl.

Isbell is at least current and talented. and he's playing a small club, which should add to the intimacy. too bad Patterson Hood didn't make Buffalo a stop. he played Ithaca last week, and i was unable to make it. to me, Isbell is more than a better consolation prize, given that i've seen Hood front the DBTs a few times already.

and yes, Isbell's new album is on my get list. now i just got to get around to getting it.

jw

Definitely do it. Best album he's put out yet. Focused, clear vision, layered and personal.... Really super 8 is the only track that sticks out like a sore thumb, but its a good song, just way different vibe/sound. Some of his best writing since DBT- I posted a thread linking to a free stream of the entire thing, if you'd like to hear before you buy, just search his name, the threads only 2-3 weeks old.

Definitely do it. Best album he's put out yet. Focused, clear vision, layered and personal.... Really super 8 is the only track that sticks out like a sore thumb, but its a good song, just way different vibe/sound. Some of his best writing since DBT- I posted a thread linking to a free stream of the entire thing, if you'd like to hear before you buy, just search his name, the threads only 2-3 weeks old.

i was a huge fan of his previous release. "Alabama Pines," was in my head for weeks after i put the CD down. and i've heard from numerous people about this release to convince me to buy ear unheard.

jw

i was a huge fan of his previous release. "Alabama Pines," was in my head for weeks after i put the CD down. and i've heard from numerous people about this release to convince me to buy ear unheard.

jw

I heard a bunch of it on NPR and didn't even know it was Isbell. Sounded great. To be honest, some of his solo stuff has sounded a bit too polished / MOR for me, so I was excited to hear that this material had a bit more depth.

Back on the 'Mats, I haven't waded too deeply through the thread, but there is a great WTF episode with Tommy Stinson on it from last week. He seems like a pretty gracious guy.

http://www.wtfpod.com/podcast/episodes/episode_395_-_tommy_stinson