Hey JW, some 'Mats 'reunion' info

The Poojer

that's awesome. I wish they were coming a bit closer to me, i can hold out hope that they will add more dates...

i got mine.

can't hardly wait.

(and i'd like to thank both the 'Mats and the NFL scheduler for having the Toronto show on Aug 25, a day in which the Bills will be off (following their game at Washington), and thus i will be as well. as it should be.)

jw

that's awesome. I wish they were coming a bit closer to me, i can hold out hope that they will add more dates...

well, you can ask, and hopefully, your post will be read. i just discovered the person involved in putting this series together happens to be a Bills fan and just might also be a member of this board. ... i kid you not.

jw

I don't know one song by them, and never even heard of them until the last 5-10 years. I looked up why - their biggest US hit went to #79.

Why are they called the Mats? Wouldn't it be the Ments?

I don't know one song by them, and never even heard of them until the last 5-10 years. I looked up why - their biggest US hit went to #79.

Why are they called the Mats? Wouldn't it be the Ments?

the evolution -- or perhaps devolution -- to 'Mats was spurred from fans lovingly calling them "The Placemats," in part because it was shorter than Replacements, and also a nod to their never-can-win, doormat luck. it's from there that the 'Mats' name came to be and stuck.

it's funny, having to explain this, because 'Mats nation is fully accustomed to the short-form nickname, and it sometimes befuddles us kool-aid drinkers that others -- outside the club -- wouldn't know that. i don't mean harm with that, but it's just weird how wired us fans are, oblivious to those who aren't familiar with the band.

start with "Tim" and then go from there, back to the beginning up to the fall-apart end to get an appreciation for their sound. perhaps, a little under-rated, but that might, of course be for another thread ... ;)

jw

Edited by john wawrow

Thanks for the explanation............I've definitely seen a lot of 'Mats tweets and such the last few days.

big buffalo contingent seems to be going. the 716 shall represent. ...

funny, i'm not a fan of the Bills or Sabres, it's not part of the job title, and it wouldn't be fair to my employer, my profession or to the one or two readers i might have.

but when it comes to my love -- yes love -- of the 'Mats, i get it. i get the blood on the sleeve rooting fascination you folks have. and the connection between The Replacements and the Bills is not as loose as one might think. i've always compared this town, that team and the 'Mats as being similar in have being the ones who nearly did, beautiful losers, who aspired to greatness and stumbled.

and the drinking part of both cultures helps. :beer:

jw

Edited by john wawrow

A friend of mine posted about the Chicago show, and was really excited, but then says "only trouble is, it seems like there are 15-20 other bands I want to see, playing at the same time"...my response, which made him pause and think "name 15-20 bands you would rather see than the Replacements! Really think about that"

A friend of mine posted about the Chicago show, and was really excited, but then says "only trouble is, it seems like there are 15-20 other bands I want to see, playing at the same time"...my response, which made him pause and think "name 15-20 bands you would rather see than the Replacements! Really think about that"

having already seen the 'Mats twice, and shook hands with Stinson down at the Mohawk, i'd pay to see Jesus (small club/temple only, maybe a mount), Johnny Cash, Joe Strummer and Hank Williams first. after that, the list thins pretty quickly. ;)

jw

Edited by john wawrow

Its funny you mention the Buffalo contingent. I saw the concert info on Philly's WXPN Facebook page and the story was accompanied by a concert poster from Pastimes in Buffalo, December 1984

big buffalo contingent seems to be going. the 716 shall represent. ...

funny, i'm not a fan of the Bills or Sabres, it's not part of the job title, and it wouldn't be fair to my employer, my profession or to the one or two readers i might have.

but when it comes to my love -- yes love -- of the 'Mats, i get it. i get the blood on the sleeve rooting fascination you folks have. and the connection between The Replacements and the Bills is not as loose as one might think. i've always compared this town, that team and the 'Mats as being similar in have being the ones who nearly did, beautiful losers, who aspired to greatness and stumbled.

and the drinking part of both cultures helps. :beer:

jw

I know the 'Mats but never got big into them. But it's funny how a bunch of bands from that era are touring again. Just saw the Stranglers. Going to see OMD next month. Then I will see Pere Ubu in September. Sadly I had to miss Robyn Hitchcock when he played in Boston.

I'm more excited seeing these bands in small clubs than seeing the Stones or McCartney in stadiums.

On a side note, I'm disappointed many of these bands skip Buffalo as a tour stop. We used to be a pretty hip music town.

Edited by PromoTheRobot

I know the 'Mats but never got big into them. But it's funny how a bunch of bands from that era are touring again. Just saw the Stranglers. Going to see OMD next month. Then I will see Pere Ubu in September. Sadly I had to miss Robyn Hitchcock when he played in Boston.

I'm more excited seeing these bands in small clubs than seeing the Stones or McCartney in stadiums.

On a side note, I'm disappointed many of these bands skip Buffalo as a tour stop. We used to be a pretty hip music town.

Buffalo still is: Jason Isbell's playing in Buffalo. that's big.

Black Keys are playing Canalside. that's big, too.

though, Buffalo might be on the less beaten track, it's place geographically can't be beat. there's enough big cities within a 3 hour drive to easily see essentially anyone and everyone that's touring. heck, last year, my wife and i made a weekend road trip to see the Truckers and Lucinda Williams play outside of Baltimore.

i understand your point, but there's enough going on to satisfy everyone's needs, i think. and looking forward to experiencing what this new Waiting Room is all about after getting tickets for Isbell.

i'm not a huge fan of big-venue shows, and had no interest in seeing the Stones this, the last or the last after that time around. i missed them when they were truly relevant rockers and won't overpay to see them in some big stadium setting. i did that for GnR back in the day, only because i figured it might be the last time to catch them as a whole -- and it was.

and i still contend Buffalo is a hip town. ... the Hip, in fact, are playing later this summer Canalside. ;)

jw

having already seen the 'Mats twice, and shook hands with Stinson down at the Mohawk, i'd pay to see Jesus (small club/temple only, maybe a mount), Johnny Cash, Joe Strummer and Hank Williams first. after that, the list thins pretty quickly. ;)

jw

I saw them at Septembers' Cafe back in Buffalo, when "Color Me Impressed" was their "big hit"...still maybe my favorite Replacements song. Saw them a year or two later in Rochester, as some converted church (very odd, very cool show...very drunk band on the alter)...then I saw them open for Keith Richards and the X-Pensive Winos at the Brendan Byrne Arena in New Jersey...awful venue, but Keith and the 'Mats overcame! Had killer seats, which always helps in a hockey arena.

Yeah, I saw the setlist on line, too. Maybe Septembers got changed to Pastimes in the Fall of 84? I played volleyball there in the summer of 84 and it was still Septembers. But that place has had a lot of names, and maybe Pastimes is one I forgot.

Yeah, I saw the setlist on line, too. Maybe Septembers got changed to Pastimes in the Fall of 84? I played volleyball there in the summer of 84 and it was still Septembers. But that place has had a lot of names, and maybe Pastimes is one I forgot.

A little googling and it sounds like it was a Buff State bar on Grant Street. Some people mention it in here. How small must this bar have been?!?

http://www.pbase.com/kjosker/buffalo_bars&page=1

A little googling and it sounds like it was a Buff State bar on Grant Street. Some people mention it in here. How small must this bar have been?!?

http://www.pbase.com...alo_bars&page=1

It was tiny. That was the show I went to. Tiny bar that was maybe half full. I stood against the back wall and was no more than 20 feet from the stage, which was at floor level. I knew it was on Grant Street but for the life of me could not remember the name. The owner of Home of the Hits on Elmwood self promoted that show. I still remember her telling me, "if you want to see The Replacements on me, here's your one and only chance". Admission was no more than $5.

It was tiny. That was the show I went to. Tiny bar that was maybe half full. I stood against the back wall and was no more than 20 feet from the stage, which was at floor level. I knew it was on Grant Street but for the life of me could not remember the name. The owner of Home of the Hits on Elmwood self promoted that show. I still remember her telling me, "if you want to see The Replacements on me, here's your one and only chance". Admission was no more than $5.

Wow - that's insane!