Syracuse Names Robinson Orange Football Coach

JarHeadJim

Veteran gridiron coach Greg Robinson brings a resume filled with success to take the reigns of the Syracuse University football program. SU Director of Athletics Daryl Gross introduced the Orange’s 27th head football coach today. The co-defensive coordinator at the University of Texas in 2004, Robinson was the mastermind behind the Longhorns defensive unit for the 11-1 squad that beat Michigan in the 2005 Rose Bowl.

“Greg Robinson brings a winning attitude and championship football tradition to our program,” Gross said. “He has had nothing but success in postseason games with four Rose Bowl rings, eight overall bowl victories in eight appearances and seven NFL postseason wins, including two Super Bowls.”

Robinson assumes the leadership for the Orange program that has a 663-436-49 record in its 115 years of existence. Syracuse is 12th on the all-time Division I record list for wins with 663. The 2005 Orange squad is slated to have 15 returning starters, including six on offense and nine on defense.

Robinson’s Texas defense finished the season ranked 18th in scoring defense (17.92), 16th in rushing defense (107.42) and 23rd in total defense (320.08) in the country. The Longhorns held six of Texas’ 12 opponents to 14 points or less. In addition, the defense was also able to hold two of the countries top scoring teams, Oklahoma and Texas Tech, 23 points and 14 points below their season averages, respectively.

“In the five years in New York with the Jets, I developed a lot of strong relationships with people and from the time I left New York, it never left us,” Robinson said of his coaching stint with the New York Jets. “It was part of our family. I had relationships with some outstanding young people, who were football players I had the opportunity to coach with the Jets, in Paul Frase, Rob Moore and Art Monk. They are fine people, as well as excellent football players. I know a lot about Syracuse, so when the opportunity was out there, I went after it very hard. To me the thought of coming back to New York and being at Syracuse University with the tradition that it has, is very exciting.”

The Syracuse post is Robinson’s first as a head coach. A veteran of 14 seasons coaching in the NFL, including 10 as a defensive coordinator, Robinson has coached for 30 years either at the NFL or college level. He spent his first 15 seasons as a college coach.

“It has been a long time coming,” Robinson said of his first head coaching position. “It is funny how your blessings come, but I am really glad that the opportunity is coming now in my career. I am so much better than I was a number of years ago. I left college football 15 years ago and went off to professional football for 14 years, but I am glad that I was able to come back to college football to the University of Texas and to get back and realize how much I missed about the college experience. I saw how much better prepared I was to take on whatever the world was going to be, as a defensive coordinator or a head coach eventually. I had experienced so much during the 14 years prior to coming to the University of Texas that I can see now that I was ready to go. Right now I feel that I am prepared and ready to go hit the ground running.”

Under Robinson’s mentoring, the 2004 UT defense produced two first-team All-Big 12 selections and five others who have earned recognition among the All-Big 12 second, third and honorable mention teams.

“First of all it is about a staff ,” Robinson said of his priorities for the Orange program. “I am going to put together a staff that is going to be high energy people who are enthusiastic and on the move. They are going to be a group of people who are highly intelligent with great integrity. This begins with talking with the coaches who are still at Syracuse.

“My next thought is recruiting. The first thing I want to do is make sure the first job in recruiting is those football players who are there in that program, specifically the guys who are going to be seniors. I want to make sure that I am in touch with them immediately to let them know about me. I want them to know that they are on my mind and that my intent for them is to make sure that we are not looking way down the road, we are looking to win football games next year and we are going to need their leadership.

“From that point on it will be hitting the high school recruiting trail and talking with the young men who have made commitments to Syracuse to let them know that I am on my way after I take care of the student-athletes who are here.”

Defensive System Dominates

Prior to joining the Longhorns in January, 2004, Robinson spent three seasons as the defensive coordinator for the Kansas City Chiefs, where he helped turn around a team that was 7-9 in 2000, the year before he arrived, into a unit that posted the second-best record in the NFL in 2003 (13-3). As defensive coordinator, Robinson’s aggressive, attacking Chiefs’ units produced 70 sacks and forced 68 turnovers (43 interceptions/25 fumble recoveries) in 2002 and 2003. During that time, Kansas City posted a 21-11 record.

In 2003, Robinson’s Chiefs’ defense produced 36 sacks (T-6th/AFC), 25 interceptions (2nd AFC/3rd NFL) and forced 37 turnovers (T-3rd AFC/5th NFL). Kansas City led the NFL in turnover margin with a +19 advantage in that category. In 2001, the Chiefs registered 34 sacks, 18 interceptions and forced 31 turnovers. They led the AFC and ranked third in the NFL in turnover margin that year.

Robinson established his reputation as a tremendous defensive coordinator in Denver, where he transformed a struggling defense into a Super Bowl Championship unit, serving as the architect of a defense that led the Broncos to back-to-back Super Bowl victories in 1997 and ’98. After inheriting a club that ranked last in total defense in 1994, Robinson made an immediate impact in his first season with the team, as the Broncos finished the 1995 campaign ranked 15th in the same category. By 1996, he had turned Denver into the league’s fourth-rated defensive unit, and by season number three in ‘97, the Broncos were on their way to the first of two straight Super Bowl titles.

During his stellar six-season stay in Denver, the Broncos made four playoff appearances and claimed back-to-back World Championships with wins in Super Bowls XXXII and XXXIII, making them just one of six franchises in NFL history to accomplish a Super Bowl repeat. During that six-year span, the Broncos compiled a 64-32 (.667) regular-season record.

The Broncos ranked in the NFL’s top 10 in total defense during three of Robinson’s six seasons at the club’s defensive helm, finishing seventh in ‘99 (297.1 ypg), fifth in ‘97 (291.9 ypg) and fourth in ‘96 (279.4 ypg). Denver’s defenses were also stingy in the scoring column during his reign with the Broncos, producing three top 10 rankings in scoring defense — eighth in ‘98 (19.3 ppg), sixth in ‘97 (17.9 ppg) and seventh in ‘96 (17.2 ppg). The team’s pass defense ranked among the league’s top 10 in four of his six seasons with Denver, finishing eighth in ‘99 (188.5 ypg), fifth in ‘97 (179.3 ypg), 10th in ‘96 (196.2 ypg) and ninth in ‘95 (206.1 ypg). Denver’s run defense ranked in the league’s top 10 three times during Robinson’s tenure. The run defense was highlighted when Denver led the NFL (83.2 ypg) in ‘97 and ranked third in 1998 (80.4 ypg).

The performance of Robinson’s defense throughout the ‘98 playoffs was paramount to Denver’s quest for a second straight title. The Broncos allowed opponents just 53.0 rushing yards per game in the postseason and forced a remarkable 13 turnovers in just three games. Denver allowed just 25 total points during that stretch.

Robinson joined the Broncos after a five-year stint with the New York Jets (1990-94). He coached the defensive line from 1990-93 and served as defensive coordinator in ‘94 when the Jets ranked eighth in the league by permitting just 20.0 points per game. Forcing turnovers and a stingy run defense were also a staple of Robinson’s defenses in New York. During his last four years with the Jets, the defense forced 151 turnovers, most in the AFC and second most in the NFL during that span. They improved from 27th in the league in total defense in ‘89 to eighth in ‘93. New York’s rush defense showed significant improvement, jumping to a fifth-place ranking (92.1 ypg) after allowing 133.5 yards per game in ‘89.

Excellence Began in College Ranks

The Los Angeles native spent his first 15 years of coaching in the collegiate ranks and entered the NFL after an eight-year stint at UCLA (1982-89). Robinson was the Bruins defensive line coach from 1982-88 before switching sides of the ball to serve as offensive coordinator in 1989. He was a member of three Rose Bowl Champion squads during his tenure with the Bruins, following the 1982, ‘83 and ‘85 seasons. He had been promoted to assistant head coach at UCLA for the 1990 season, but opted to join the Jets instead.

A 1975 graduate of the University of the Pacific with a degree in political science, Robinson began his coaching career as a graduate assistant at Pacific in 1975-76. He made stops at Cal State Fullerton (1977-79) and North Carolina State (1980-81) before moving to UCLA in 1982.

Robinson began his collegiate playing career as a linebacker at Bakersfield Community College from 1970-71 before moving on to play center, tight end and linebacker at the University of the Pacific in 1975-76.

He and his wife, Laura, have three children, Dominic, Lindsay and Leslie Ann.

Greg Robinson At A Glance

Hometown Los Angeles, Calif.

High school Garces (Bakersfield, Calif.)

College University of the Pacific ‘75

Years in coaching 30

Robinson’s Coaching Career

2004 Co-Defensive Coordinator/LBs Texas

2001-03 Defensive Coordinator Kansas City Chiefs

1995-2000 Defensive Coordinator Denver Broncos

1994 Defensive Coordinator New York Jets

1990-93 Assistant Coach/Defensive Line New York Jets

1989 Offensive Coordinator UCLA

1982-88 Assistant Coach/Defensive Line UCLA

1980-81 Assistant Coach North Carolina State

1977-79 Assistant Coach Cal State Fullerton

1975-76 Assistant Coach Pacific

National Football League Postseason/College Bowl Experience

2005 Rose Bowl Texas

2003 Playoffs Kansas City Chiefs

2000 Playoffs Denver Broncos

1998 Super Bowl Denver Broncos

1997 Super Bowl Denver Broncos

1996 Playoffs Denver Broncos

1991 Playoffs New York Jets

1989 Cotton Bowl UCLA

1987 Aloha Bowl UCLA

1986 Freedom Bowl UCLA

1986 Rose Bowl UCLA

1985 Fiesta Bowl UCLA

1984 Rose Bowl UCLA

1983 Rose Bowl UCLA

What They Are Saying About Greg Robinson

"Greg Robinson came in and did a tremendous job in the year we were fortunate enough to have him at Texas. He's an outstanding football coach and an even better person and leader. Greg is a really upbeat guy who has been both an offensive and defensive coordinator and will bring a world of experience to the Syracuse program. He's won championships, been involved as an assistant in four Rose Bowls and was the defensive coordinator for two Super Bowl Championship teams. He brings with him a lot of coaching experience at the highest levels. I can think of no one better to head up the Syracuse program than Greg Robinson. Paul Pasqualoni is a great football coach and person who did things the right way for a long time. He left a solid foundation at Syracuse and Greg will build on that. We're really proud for Greg and Syracuse is lucky to have him."

- Texas head coach Mack Brown

“I’m very, very pleased, both for Greg and Syracuse University. I’ve known Greg a long time, and we had a great working relationship for three years. I have lots of respect for Greg. This is long overdue. He’s always wanted to be a head coach at the Division I level For him to get that opportunity at Syracuse is very rewarding for both sides.”

-Kansas City Chiefs head coach Dick Vermeil

“Syracuse hired a talented individual. Greg is an experienced football coach, and I regard him as one of the top guys in the industry. He has lots of experience at the college and pro levels. He has a very strong football background, and he’s an excellent people person. He was clearly one of the top recruiters I had at UCLA. There isn’t going to be many areas that Greg isn’t very strong in. He has a wonderful family and he’ll really fit into the Syracuse community.”

-Former San Francisco 49ers general manager and UCLA head coach Terry Donahue

“Coach Robinson will make a great head coach. He's a really intense guy who is a lot of fun to be around and brings out the best in his players. As a player, that's what you really want in a coach, a guy who can bring out the best in you and your teammates and Coach Robinson definitely will do that. He works so hard to get you prepared and gets right in there with you each and every day so when the game comes around you can't help but love playing for him. I owe him a huge debt of gratitude because he helped me a lot both as a player and a person this year. But I wasn't the only one. He had a big impact on a lot of guys and not just the defensive players. He's a great guy who I guarantee everyone at Syracuse will enjoy being around.”

- Texas LB Derrick Johnson, 2004 Nagurski Trophy/Butkus Award winner/unanimous All-American

“Coach Robinson is awesome. He'll do a great job as a head coach because he's a guy who has unbelievable experience and knowledge but also relates well to everyone on the team. I feel fortunate that I had a chance to be around him this year.”

- Texas RB Cedric Benson, 2004 Doak Walker Award winner

...of interest will be what staff Robinson will assemble.

Saw where DeLeone bolted to Ole Miss.  For him, the handwriting was on the wall when P was let go.  Will any of P's assistants stay?

201893[/snapback]

David Walker went to Pitt, Chris White is definatly staying, I'm hopeing coach Bush stays. All the rest can go IMHO.

I wish we would have keep David Walker, sh-- on Pitt

...one thing's certain. Robinson certainly has the experience that Gross was looking for. His success in his one season as Texas DC was a factor in his favor, and I hear he got a very good recommendation from Fredo (Pete Carroll).

I wish him well. The Big East will be very competitive next season with Louisville and Cincinnati coming in and UConn on the rise.

From afar I guess I would say it's an ok choice, but Syracuse should have went after someone else.  They had other choices (Jerry Gray would have been better for Syracus).

Robinson is 58 I believe?  By the time he gets Syracuse turned around he will be retiring.

202231[/snapback]

Well that's not as bad.

I think I would have went with Jerry Gray if I were Syracuse.

202283[/snapback]

Why? Because he's younger? Maybe they took into account more criteria than that. Perhaps the coach they hired has access to more successful assistants and recruiters than the guy who wasn't in college FB last season?

Well that's not as bad.

I think I would have went with Jerry Gray if I were Syracuse.

202283[/snapback]

Gerry Gray wants to be a head coach in the NFL and stated so durring his interview. Dr Groos didn't want a coach that was going to use Syracuse as a stepping stone.

I like the hire, plus as a Bills fan we get to keep Gray for now.