Don't tell me that this league isn't all about talent!

Thirty-two teams. Fifty-three players on each team. 1.696 football players in the NFL.

To say 97% were "decent guys," would mean 50 players across the league were, "bad guys."

That's a lot of players and I'm not sure there are even 50 "bad guys," across the league.

I don't think the "bad character" problem is a serious one. And it's non-existent on the Bills, in my opinion.

What's confusing to me still is the linky thingy the OP put in his first post. It's an article talking about a Bungle who got tossed off the team for being a turd. They've had plenty of turds in Sin-Sin-atty recently - more than their "fair share" of them in fact. It looks like Pete-chops-hands-to-the-throat-Carroll is giving Marvelous Marvin Lewis a run for the title of sleaziest collection of reprobates and hooligans in the league.

It seems to me that this is more of an issue on certain teams. Frankly, The Bills don't have to be 100% choir boys and eagle scouts IMHO, but I don't want OBD to turn into a budding penal colony either.

Thirty-two teams. Fifty-three players on each team. 1.696 football players in the NFL.

To say 97% were "decent guys," would mean 50 players across the league were, "bad guys."

That's a lot of players and I'm not sure there are even 50 "bad guys," across the league.

I don't think the "bad character" problem is a serious one. And it's non-existent on the Bills, in my opinion.

excellent point. now here is where we can examine ourselves as a society. it seems that the small percentage of questionable character guys get the majority of the media attention. charities and acts of kindness in general get almost no exposure but knuckleheads doing stupid things get prolonged exposure, especially if it ends in a tragedy. and look at tim tebow, he's a good guy but the majority of the exposure and coverage that he generates is in relation to how big a dumpster fire the circus can be surrounding whatever team he lands with.

i can think of plenty of d-bags and low-lifes that i encounter in my daily work routine, but nobody cares because they do not help generate billions of dollars for the nations most popular form of entertainment.

What's confusing to me still is the linky thingy the OP put in his first post. It's an article talking about a Bungle who got tossed off the team for being a turd. They've had plenty of turds in Sin-Sin-atty recently - more than their "fair share" of them in fact. It looks like Pete-chops-hands-to-the-throat-Carroll is giving Marvelous Marvin Lewis a run for the title of sleaziest collection of reprobates and hooligans in the league.

It seems to me that this is more of an issue on certain teams. Frankly, The Bills don't have to be 100% choir boys and eagle scouts IMHO, but I don't want OBD to turn into a budding penal colony either.

buffalo actually seems like the perfect team to take in a couple of these guys with "checkered pasts" because of the strong core of veterans they have with strong character. some of these kids may be able to see a different way of doing things and make better choices with a strong support group.

buffalo actually seems like the perfect team to take in a couple of these guys with "checkered pasts" because of the strong core of veterans they have with strong character. some of these kids may be able to see a different way of doing things and make better choices with a strong support group.

Keyword ... KIDS.

At 22-years-old, not a damn one of them is prepared for the money, fame and pressure. It's all about the support group. On the team and off.

The days about justice, equality and fairness is all in the past and unfortunately that's where it will stay! I guess that that I'm just an old nostalgic dinosaur but the the double standards from time to time really galls me. I for one was always an advocate for "character" guys but it's sadly apparent to me that if I want my favorite team/franchise to be successful and competitive than I have to abandon my values and principles. What a sad state of affairs this world/league has come too! It's things like this that takes away the luster of football for me, either I have to change and accept or be left behind. If I have to compromise too many times, accepting Super Bowls and franchises on foreign soil, than the choice might be made for me and be an easier one to make, I'll choose to stay where I am!

http://profootballta...e-robert-sands/

You don't have to abandon anything. But I don't think the days of justice, equality and fairness ever existed like you make it out to be. This world has been corrupt for thousands of years. And there are various groups of people, throughout history and geographical location, who could legitimately argue your justice, equality and fairness viewpoint.

And when I hear fans complain about today's players I never understand it. You take the few players you hear about and forget about the hundreds who do nothing but go to work and not get into trouble. It's like those players don't exist. There are many more of them than the other types. That being said, in ANY industry in this world, talent is given a longer leash. The ability to perform, i.e. make someone money, is not taken lightly by CEO's, managers, supervisors, etc. End of day, especially in a capitalist society, those that produce money will get extra chances that someone, who might be a "good" person, but unproductive in comparison, would not get.

Look at Mickey Mantle. If he were Mickey Mantle playing today he would be all over the cover of blogs, newspapers and cable news. Babe Ruth too and probably many athletes who folks look at as being products of a "better" time. There's just more scrutiny today so you hear about things now that journalists left to the private lives of those involved back in the day.

Edited by purple haze

The days about justice, equality and fairness is all in the past and unfortunately that's where it will stay! I guess that that I'm just an old nostalgic dinosaur but the the double standards from time to time really galls me. I for one was always an advocate for "character" guys but it's sadly apparent to me that if I want my favorite team/franchise to be successful and competitive than I have to abandon my values and principles. What a sad state of affairs this world/league has come too! It's things like this that takes away the luster of football for me, either I have to change and accept or be left behind. If I have to compromise too many times, accepting Super Bowls and franchises on foreign soil, than the choice might be made for me and be an easier one to make, I'll choose to stay where I am!

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/06/12/bengals-waive-robert-sands/

I don't get it, must be missing something. The article states they cut him...so I don't follow your rant. Seems like you're saying its all about talent with no consequences, yet this guy just got cut as a consequence in the article you linked...so huh?

Edited by Alphadawg7

http://profootballta...e-robert-sands/

Good luck trying to get the Commisioner to buy this view. He's taken a lot of flak for his zero tolerance of off field shenanigans and IMO, he is on a personal crusade that goes above the expectations of his position. Personally, I'm a big fan of his.

I agree with you about the commish. He definitely is on a crusade.

Edited by CodeMonkey

Don't know why the op is freaking out. The biggest talent in the NFL are still just about all high character players. The same % of troublemakers are in the league. The only thing that has changed is times and media. Cops used to let you go if you had a few beers or had a fight, not anymore. Media wasn't big enough to cover every player in the NFL, they are now. That's all that has changed.

You not remember the old Cowboys? The old talk of how many can you count that didn't get arrested. Lol

Edited by EJ3

The only difference between today and say, 10-15 years ago, is social media. You're hearing more of what used to not get reported.

Guess you weren't a fan of the Bills team that went to 4 Superbowls? Some guys on that team would certainly make you blush...

Exactly

If twitter and cell phones with cams on them were around back when the Bills were on da run of glory there would be a whole lot more to the notion that they were the Party Bills.