Byrd Skipping mandatory mini-camp

Or, the player selects an agent, that agent "sells him" that he is the best FS in the league. That he should demand or expect top money. In the end it's in the agents best interest to get the most money he can get for the player because that determines the agents cut.

So why wouldn't an agent, like Parker, who plays hard ball, convince Byrd that he is the best FS and can get top money? Yea, Byrd picked the agent, but I'm sure Parker "sold him" on his abilities and how much money he's worth.

I think water seeks its ground, so Byrd might as well thought he deserved the most money & found an agent to agree with him. We also know how Parker rolled the Bills before, so there's a history there to justify pay the player big or cut him loose. Peters was a great LT at the time & it was proven by the Eagles willingness to pay a high price to obtain him, subsequent to more great play by Peters. If we had to compare where Peters was at his position talent wise at the time versus Byrd at his now, Peters was way ahead. Byrd just needs to get to work & show why he deserves #1 money, not just hire a guy that's justifying withholding services.

Edited by mitchmurraydowntown

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Or, the player selects an agent, that agent "sells him" that he is the best FS in the league. That he should demand or expect top money. In the end it's in the agents best interest to get the most money he can get for the player because that determines the agents cut.

So why wouldn't an agent, like Parker, who plays hard ball, convince Byrd that he is the best FS and can get top money? Yea, Byrd picked the agent, but I'm sure Parker "sold him" on his abilities and how much money he's worth.

You are not giving much credit to the intelligence to the player. Byrd doesn't need Parker to tell him that he is one of the best players at his position. He doesn't need Parker to tell him that he should be one of the highest paid players at his position. It doesn't matter who his agent is Byrd is smart enough to recognize his market worth because the market rate has been set by comparable caliber of players.

People derisively claim that Parker is a hard-ball negotiator. Let me tell you if I was searching for an agent I certainly would not want a soft-ball negotiator. What Parker understands very well is the market value of his clients. He has a good track record of getting it not because he is out smarting the organizations but because he is negotiating a fair deal with them on behalf of his clients.

Parker is a well respected agent in the NFL. Almost all the organizations will acknowledge that he is tough but he is also fair. The organizations argue on their behalf and he argues on his clients behalf. An agreeable deal is usually made. That is how the system is set up and how it works.

You are not giving much credit to the intelligence to the player. Byrd doesn't need Parker to tell him that he is one of the best players at his position. He doesn't need Parker to tell him that he should be one of the highest paid players at his position. It doesn't matter who his agent is Byrd is smart enough to recognize his market worth because the market rate has been set by comparable caliber of players.

People derisively claim that Parker is a hard-ball negotiator. Let me tell you if I was searching for an agent I certainly would not want a soft-ball negotiator. What Parker understands very well is the market value of his clients. He has a good track record of getting it not because he is out smarting the organizations but because he is negotiating a fair deal with them on behalf of his clients.

Parker is a well respected agent in the NFL. Almost all the organizations will acknowledge that he is tough but he is also fair. The organizations argue on their behalf and he argues on his clients behalf. An agreeable deal is usually made. That is how the system is set up and how it works.

Is Byrd worth #1 paid FS money right now ? Does that seem reasonable ? In my mind, Byrd's a top 5 guy & after last season maybe a top 7. Top 5-7 right now don't get paid #1 money, not in this world. If Byrd comes out & lights it on fire like he did his rookie season, I'm all onboard with paying him #1 money.

...Regardless if it is measureable or not I'm confident that this year's defense will be a better defense with him than without him. The organization certainly didn't tender him because he was an inconsequential player. As I stated in prior posts by tendering him the organization acknowledges that he is an upper tier player at his position. This is a team without many upper tier players at their respective position. So there shouldn't be a cavalier attitude at letting those caliber of players leave. Sometimes a departure of a good player can't be prevented, but sometimes a more energetic effort can be made to retain an impactful player. ...

With or without Byrd, it will be a challenge for the defense to be as bad as it's been the last two seasons. So if Byrd ends up not playing and the defense ends up being better, what does that say? I mean other than, "It would just be even better with Byrd."

Cavalier attitude? Is that what the FO has shown here? They haven't been energetic enough? Perhaps if they hadn't thought highly enough to acknowledge his status as one of the best safeties and agreeing to make him the 4th highest paid to boot, I could understand that. Or by "more energetic" do you mean that they just should pay him what he wants?

I have a suspicion that Byrd would be more than OK to take less than highest paid by any another team, but won't play for anything less than that to stay in Buffalo.

GO BILLS!!!

So it's fair if Parker plays hardball, but not for the Bills. Even though the Bills freely acknowledge Byrd's status as one of the best and are willing to pay him as such.

GO BILLS!!!

Lets say Byrd thinks he's one of the best. Fine. That's a far cry from THE best. On his own, Byrd could certainly think he's top-5 and would settle for top-5 money. Whereas Parker tells his client your #1 and shouldn't accept anything less. Agents, in the end are just as much sales people as they are agents.

Of course your scenario could be the way it really played out. Who knows? In the end, the Bills see Byrd as top-5, per reports, and not the #1 safety.

I am going to laugh my ass off if

a. Williams ends up being a crackerjack safety (which is where he was projected in the pros to begin with)

or

b Duke Williams (who frankly looks like a nasty hard hitting monster safety who can cover to me) ends up shining

Then the board will be screaming to try and get a 1st round pick out of Byrd

In the end, the Bills see Byrd as top-5, per reports, and not the #1 safety.

The tag the Bills' placed on him speaks volumes towards that being the case, one would think the Bills brought more to the table with a long-term deal but it was rejected.

a. Williams ends up being a crackerjack safety (which is where he was projected in the pros to begin with)

or

b Duke Williams (who frankly looks like a nasty hard hitting monster safety who can cover to me) ends up shining

If Duke steps up, Byrd is gone.

Lets say Byrd thinks he's one of the best. Fine. That's a far cry from THE best. On his own, Byrd could certainly think he's top-5 and would settle for top-5 money. Whereas Parker tells his client your #1 and shouldn't accept anything less. Agents, in the end are just as much sales people as they are agents.

Of course your scenario could be the way it really played out. Who knows? In the end, the Bills see Byrd as top-5, per reports, and not the #1 safety.

Well, he's certainly not willing to settle for top 4 money. That's for sure.

GO BILLS!!!

With or without Byrd, it will be a challenge for the defense to be as bad as it's been the last two seasons. So if Byrd ends up not playing and the defense ends up being better, what does that say? I mean other than, "It would just be even better with Byrd."

That is exactly what I am saying. Losing teams should be focused on getting better, not satisfied with the status quo of systemic mediocrity.

I have a suspicion that Byrd would be more than OK to take less than highest paid by any another team, but won't play for anything less than that to stay in Buffalo.

I agree with your suspicions. Being on a losing team can wear you down where you would prefer a change of scenery to a more positive environment. The Bills signed Mario to a contract that no other team would have made because this lowly franchise had no other choice. Mario acted in its best interest, and so did the team. In my estimation Mario is overpayed. I have no problem with that inflated expenditure by the organization. It was the right thing to do.

So it's fair if Parker plays hardball, but not for the Bills. Even though the Bills freely acknowledge Byrd's status as one of the best and are willing to pay him as such.

I have no problem with each side taking a tough stance. Why would you believe that I think otherwise? There comes a point where the organizatiion has to act on getting better. The figures that are in play are actually not that far apart. A 7 million tender is not that far off the annual rate he wants on an extended deal. If the Bills have to pay a little more than they want then so what is the big deal? They overpayed for Mario but at least they got a talent. They overpayed for Anderson and later cut him. They overpayed for Kelsay. They overpayed for Fitz. What is the point of hardbaling a talent when you losen your pockets for mediocre talent?

The Bills have not been a successful team for a generation. It isn't because they have an abundance of talent!

And just how will this loss of credibility manifest itself? Less ticket sales? Mass exodus of the coaching and personnel staffs? More posts from you telling us all how they have lost credibility?

If Byrd ends up not playing another game for the Bills, the impact of his loss won't be confirmed until tangible results of his loss are seen on the field. It's all noise until then.

But given how historically poor our defense has been the last couple seasons, we are going to be hard pressed to see a worse defense with other players in the lineup.

GO BILLS!!!

You tend to lose credibility when you don't win. And Jairus Byrd helps the Bills win on the field and off. Case in point: Take Jairus Byrd away from the Arizona game last year and tell me if the Bills win that one.

But the team chose to only tender the player and couldn't come to terms. If you view the Byrd negotiations in a vacuum, well, yeah the team proved their point. But you can be sure fellow agents of potential UFA's and players developed by the Bills will remember this situation if their player gets good like Byrd did. Why do fans worry so much what players are being paid and less about overall roster talent?

And what's laughable is the common tactic on TBD that when a unit is horrible (2010-12 defense or 2007-08 offense) and one player wants to get paid we marginalize the player by citing collective failure of that side of the ball.

You tend to lose credibility when you don't win. And Jairus Byrd helps the Bills win on the field and off. Case in point: Take Jairus Byrd away from the Arizona game last year and tell me if the Bills win that one.

But the team chose to only tender the player and couldn't come to terms. If you view the Byrd negotiations in a vacuum, well, yeah the team proved their point. But you can be sure fellow agents of potential UFA's and players developed by the Bills will remember this situation if their player gets good like Byrd did. Why do fans worry so much what players are being paid and less about overall roster talent?

And what's laughable is the common tactic on TBD that when a unit is horrible (2010-12 defense or 2007-08 offense) and one player wants to get paid we marginalize the player by citing collective failure of that side of the ball.

All good points, remember the thinking once they inked Mario that other FA's would start rushing to play with the Bills? Crapping on homegrown talent(s) doesn't make future contracts with current players or solid FA's any easier. It's doubtful a single Bills player is siding with managements dealing with Byrd. Quite the opposite, their most likely hoping they never get tagged so they can bailout when their contract is up.

If Byrd (or his agent) was a brighter guy, he would understand his precarious position. He can't say for sure that he is the Bills best option at safety, given that more than one guy was drafted at that spot and their skill is yet unknown.

Every day he holds out on camp and preseason gives the team an opportunity to get used to life without him and to see how expendable he may be (at a far lower price).

It should be clear that the Bills aren't going to budge so what is he thinking?

or

Methinks thats what the Bills are weighing heavily into the formula of , how they are playing this one out.

if i had to pick i would suggest A is more likely. But being a reasonable fan i am fine with both A and B coming true.

and since we are wishing

C } Leodis can all of a sudden find the ball and deflect it.

So if I understand the thinking around here, if the Bills just give Byrd what he wants and make him the highest paid safety in the history of football, the team attains instant "credibility" and no other free agent player will ever want to leave the team again, while hordes of other free agents will rush to be the first to sign on. Brilliance. Sheer brilliance. Absolutely NO insight or understanding about building a team in the salary cap age, but brilliant none the less.

GO BILLS!!!

So if I understand the thinking around here, if the Bills just give Byrd what he wants and make him the highest paid safety in the history of football, the team attains instant "credibility" and no other free agent player will ever want to leave the team again, while hordes of other free agents will rush to be the first to sign on. Brilliance. Sheer brilliance. Absolutely NO insight or understanding about building a team in the salary cap age, but brilliant none the less.

GO BILLS!!!

please enlighten the masses with your brilliant salary cap and team building skills. Using today's FO management. The one's that sell off home games for the bottom line profit. It's doubtful if Byrd will be the highest paid FS "In the history of Football".

Is dumpster diving for scrubs and mediocre talent the way to build a team in the modern cap era? Using of course the very pedestrian O-Lineman they signed today as examples. To plug holes. One thing for sure they do meet the model for cheap talent. The Bills have maybe 90% mediocre players or rookies and maybe 10% good ones but I am with you let ALL those good players walk, overpay for DE's, back up QB's and then wonder why the team sucks year after year...... At least the Bills are well below the cap and that's what's important apparently.

Yes, the Bills except for the super bowl teams have always had problems attracting free agents, and rightfully so. They are one of the worst run franchises in all professional sports. Unless players like TO so hard up for work will accept the outrageously generous contract for a one year rental. No one wants to play here. Mario has 100 million reasons, what other good FA or pro bowl caliber player has signed here recently?

please enlighten the masses with your brilliant salary cap and team building skills. Using today's FO management. The one's that sell off home games for the bottom line profit. It's doubtful if Byrd will be the highest paid FS "In the history of Football".

Is dumpster diving for scrubs and mediocre talent the way to build a team in the modern cap era? Using of course the very pedestrian O-Lineman they signed today as examples. To plug holes. One thing for sure they do meet the model for cheap talent. The Bills have maybe 90% mediocre players or rookies and maybe 10% good ones but I am with you let ALL those good players walk, overpay for DE's, back up QB's and then wonder why the team sucks year after year...... At least the Bills are well below the cap and that's what's important apparently.

Yes, the Bills except for the super bowl teams have always had problems attracting free agents, and rightfully so. They are one of the worst run franchises in all professional sports. Unless players like TO so hard up for work will accept the outrageously generous contract for a one year rental. No one wants to play here. Mario has 100 million reasons, what other good FA or pro bowl caliber player has signed here recently?

If Byrd becomes the highest paid safety, he will indeed become the highest paid safety in the history of football. The record would previously have been held by Polamalu. Don't know why that's hard to understand.

I've done a complete 180 on this. I think the Bills should just pay ALL future free agents exactly what they're asking for. It's the best strategy for establishing and maintaining that all important "credibility" around the league. Why, Whaley will have to beat them away with a stick as One Bills Drive becomes known as football shangri la, the Mecca of the NFL.

GO BILLS!!!