Byrd Skipping mandatory mini-camp

Im lost as to why EVERYONE thinks he has to okay. He doesn't have to do anything. He can save some years and sit out if he has to and then take a deal. He, IMO is doing this as a way to force a trade. Either pay him money that makes him the top paid safety in the league, or trade him to a winner. It's that simple.

Agree you are lost. Not EVERYONE (your emphasis) agrees with this including you and Parker, his agent. He is NOT worth top paid safety in the league money IMO. If he WAS there would be offers from other teams agent would be leaking to press. it appears your goal is to 'trade him to a winner' (meaning non-Bills) which is not surprising given your previous posts on the Bills.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

His refusal to pay comes at a huge loss of pay, so it's a tough pill to swallow. Who pays a guy that say out a few years in a row as well, that'd be fiscal / career suicide.

like I have always said, it's his game to force a trade. He means nothing to this team for just 1 season.

Agree you are lost. Not EVERYONE (your emphasis) agrees with this including you and Parker, his agent. He is NOT worth top paid safety in the league money IMO. If he WAS there would be offers from other teams agent would be leaking to press. it appears your goal is to 'trade him to a winner' (meaning non-Bills) which is not surprising given your previous posts on the Bills.

apparently you haven't followed my previous months of Byrd posts. I want him here. I personally don't think right now he's worth the best safety in the league money, but he's young and getting better. He will be worth it in another year or 2. He wants it now. We want to get him for less money. That part is simple.

Apparently the new bills defense puts little premium on safeties, so they're rolling the dice with guys that have never started at the position and some rookies. Doesn't seem smart.

Byrd is not asking for an outlandish contract. He is asking for a market-rate contract. From what I understand the organizatioin is willing to pay him a reasonable price but not willing to reach a little more to keep him. That makes little sense to me. If you spend a little more than you want for a talented and productive player you end up with a productive player on a roster lacking that echelon of a player. Does anyone think that the Bills didn't overpay for Mario Williams? It certainly did. But to their credit the organization did what it had to do to get an impactful defensive player.

What is frustrating with the Byrd situatiion is that this franchise made a good draft selectiion who ended up playing at a high level. Look at our paltry draft record. He is a success story and he is the type of player and person you would want to keep. For a losing franchise it is better to build on what you already have instead of repeating the cycle of replacing what you gave up.

Apparently the new bills defense puts little premium on safeties, so they're rolling the dice with guys that have never started at the position and some rookies. Doesn't seem smart.

You'd think with the huge letdown last season, players who've been held over for this season would realize this isn't the year to be asking for all the money without seeing how they can play in this system. Kinda like that Eddie Murphy joke about throwing the starving guy a cracker, best darn cracker he ever had.

Byrd is not asking for an outlandish contract. He is asking for a market-rate contract. From what I understand the organizatioin is willing to pay him a reasonable price but not willing to reach a little more to keep him. That makes little sense to me. If you spend a little more than you want for a talented and productive player you end up with a productive player on a roster lacking that echelon of a player. Does anyone think that the Bills didn't overpay for Mario Williams? It certainly did. But to their credit the organization did what it had to do to get an impactful defensive player.

What is frustrating with the Byrd situatiion is that this franchise made a good draft selectiion who ended up playing at a high level. Look at our paltry draft record. He is a success story and he is the type of player and person you would want to keep. For a losing franchise it is better to build on what you already have instead of repeating the cycle of replacing what you gave up.

It's all about positioning who we have in our new system, Byrd's asking for all the money at the wrong time for his position.

Edited by mitchmurraydowntown

It's all about positioning who we have in our new system, Byrd's asking for all the money at the wrong time for his position.

It doesn't matter what the new defensive system is Bryd is demonstrably better than any player on this roster who would take his place. There isn't a defensive scheme that couldn't use an instinctive DB who has a facility for intercepting passes. As I stated before I would rather spend a little more for a good player than over spend for a pedestrian and replaceable player. If you want your lackluster team to get better you add talent, not subtract it.

It doesn't matter what the new defensive system is Bryd is demonstrably better than any player on this roster who would take his place. There isn't a defensive scheme that couldn't use an instinctive DB who has a facility for intercepting passes. As I stated before I would rather spend a little more for a good player than over spend for a pedestrian and replaceable player. If you want your lackluster team to get better you add talent, not subtract it.

Does this demo happen before the system is in place? Can you demo a car without somewhere to drive it ?? If you look at the last 3 seasons, he's not worth #1 money at his position & that's why he isn't holding a new long-term contract.

Does this demo happen before the system is in place? Can you demo a car without somewhere to drive it ?? If you look at the last 3 seasons, he's not worth #1 money at his position & that's why he isn't holding a new long-term contract.

If you are retarded it really doesn't matter what your opinion is. If looking at stats is your only knowledge of how good a player is then you are just a dumb ass.

Byrd created 9 turnovers last year alone. He has more interceptions in the past 4 years than the entire Bills team.

Edited by cantankerous

Just saw this on twitter. If this is what he is really what he is asking for and we are unwilling to pay it then this is inexcusable. We are treating this like he is asking for $80 million. There is no reason why they can't pay this kind of contract.

@nfldraftbites# Bills Eugene Parker seeking 4 Year deal for Jarius Byrd worth 30-32 Millon. Bills to forfeit right to Franchise Tag at deal conclusion12:12pm - 12 Jul 13

Just saw this on twitter. If this is what he is really what he is asking for and we are unwilling to pay it then this is inexcusable. We are treating this like he is asking for $80 million. There is no reason why they can't pay this kind of contract.

@nfldraftbites# Bills Eugene Parker seeking 4 Year deal for Jarius Byrd worth 30-32 Millon. Bills to forfeit right to Franchise Tag at deal conclusion12:12pm - 12 Jul 13

You write the check then because the Bills won't.

If you are retarded it really doesn't matter what your opinion is. If looking at stats is your only knowledge of how good a player is then you are just a dumb ass.

Byrd created 9 turnovers last year alone. He has more interceptions in the past 4 years than the entire Bills team.

Our team's defense sucked & he performed better than horrible before him, so lets just pay him the most, talk about logic. We changed defenses now, he's not the most important piece of a piece a crap defense. How's that for logic or reality? Can other people getting this picture ?

question ?....is there any evidence that Byrd DOES want to be here ?

has Byrd ever said anything positive towards signing long term with the Bills ?

I agree with you that it's mostly about the money, in particular the GUARANTEED money, but my sense is that Byrd really doesn't want to be here, hence why I think this is going to get ugly, before it is finally resolved one way or the other.

Not to my knowledge, which is why you've never heard me state definitively that "he obviously wants to be here". Unlike the other poster, who stated definitively, that he obviously doesn't.

4 yrs / $30m = $7.5m pa. I could live with that, if true.

My over riding concerns have been tying up too much money on a personnel group that has proven they can't get the job done (Mario, Kyle, Jairus, Dareus, Anderson, McKelvin) = $39m on 6 players on a Defense where we still have glaring holes. Just hope that the Pettine scheme + Alonzo + Branch + Lawson can be the missing links this year.

In Week 1 Brady will provide a stiff test to McKelvin, the nickel back and the run straight up the gut where safety support will be required.

my first choice would be trading Byrd for equivalent draft picks - a 2014 1st or 2nd and 3rd- my second choice would be keep a happy Byrd

btw not over paying a player only helps the team, if they then take that saved money and use it to help the team acquire or retain talent, it hasn't been my experience that Buffalo does that all the time.

yeah, but Byrd can just say "F%#K YOU!" And refuse to play. Or he can take things very easy so that he doesn't get any injuries, much like Jason Peters and how he would click out and go the "nagging injury" route as soon as we were out of playoff contention, which was always right around game 12-13 for us at the time.

Im lost as to why EVERYONE thinks he has to okay. He doesn't have to do anything. He can save some years and sit out if he has to and then take a deal. He, IMO is doing this as a way to force a trade. Either pay him money that makes him the top paid safety in the league, or trade him to a winner. It's that simple.

Agreed.

Now there's some irony right there folks. :ph34r::lol:

@nfldraftbites# Bills Eugene Parker seeking 4 Year deal for Jarius Byrd worth 30-32 Millon. Bills to forfeit right to Franchise Tag at deal conclusion12:12pm - 12 Jul 13

Is there anyone here who disagrees with this? I can't believe it isn't going to get done if this is what they're asking for. It's inexcusable indeed. This is a roster without playmakers. Come on.

Sorry can, that's wrong. He hasn't even led the Bills in INTs all 4 of his years.

Is there anyone here who disagrees with this? I can't believe it isn't going to get done if this is what they're asking for. It's inexcusable indeed. This is a roster without playmakers. Come on.

The short length and lack of tag must be a sticking point. In 4 years they don't want to be staring down certain unrestricted free agency if they are paying 8 per is my guess.

The short length and lack of tag must be a sticking point. In 4 years they don't want to be staring down certain unrestricted free agency if they are paying 8 per is my guess.

In four years Byrd will be what, 30? How many 30 year-old safeties get tagged? If he has become so dominant at his position that he's worth tagging at age 30, then the Bills' investment will have paid off. They're wayyyyy over-thinking this.