Byrd Skipping mandatory mini-camp

Obviously but I don't think that is quite the process you think it is

What process do you think it involves?

Byrd has an agent, they talk to him not Byrd until Byrd signs.

They could go through Parker, or they could use their contact information and leave a message on his answer machine. Doesn't matter which as long as he gets the message.

I doubt that this concerns Byrd much. He will be able to avoid injury early on and work himself into shape all while earning an all-star salary. And he will undoubtedly play the last dozen games or so to show his stuff for next season's suitors. Works out great for him.

Possibly, but what if his replacement is playing so well they don't want to remove him from the starting line? What if he struggles because he's missed too much time? What if he gets injured because he didn't train well enough?

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bottom line.. He doesn`t want to be here. The Bills are not being cheap. They have taken a Pittsburgh type of stand on this. If you don`t like it here , Bye. Trade him. Get a pick,whatever. Letting players run the ship,won`t happen . They must not value him as much as his agent.

Bottom line.. He doesn`t want to be here. The Bills are not being cheap. They have taken a Pittsburgh type of stand on this. If you don`t like it here , Bye. Trade him. Get a pick,whatever. Letting players run the ship,won`t happen . They must not value him as much as his agent.

Finally, we're at the point in this where fans start claiming--without any evidence whatsoever--that the player doesn't want to be here.

It's not about being here; it's about money. Period.

I don't know why some fans don't understand that when these situations occur.

Finally, we're at the point in this where fans start claiming--without any evidence whatsoever--that the player doesn't want to be here.

It's not about being here; it's about money. Period.

I don't know why some fans don't understand that when these situations occur.

question ?....is there any evidence that Byrd DOES want to be here ?

has Byrd ever said anything positive towards signing long term with the Bills ?

I agree with you that it's mostly about the money, in particular the GUARANTEED money, but my sense is that Byrd really doesn't want to be here, hence why I think this is going to get ugly, before it is finally resolved one way or the other.

It is not about this year, it is about next year and the year after. Next year will be a very painful year cap wise. A lot of tough decisions will have to be made, and a lot of decent players will be faced with being dumped as cap casualties. This year an excessive contract would not hurt the team, but that same contract could cripple the team next year and beyond. This year only those who really are drunk on the Kool-aide think we have a real chance this year. But next year, if a few more pieces are added in FA and the draft, and a few players finally reach their potential, Buffalo could finally be competitive for the first time in decades. Crippling the team with the cap because of excessive contacts like he is demanding could destroy that opportunity.

Right. agreed its balancing a long term budget.

But calculating investments into infrastructure, and weighing that value over the next 5 years is something i dont understand in regard to the Bills , or the nfl. And its gotta be a guessing game for the team .

I do understand Bills can only afford so many elite players balanced against rookie wages etc.

Not that Byrd IS elite but it seems as if Eugene wants him to be paid like one .

Bandit i did not consider your point till now about Gholdson .

This does look very simiilar.

Simple man you have called me out in regard to the kool aid fairly enough

Tough business this

Ah... The smell of being right. Where are all the people that were saying "don't worry, he'll get a new contract, don't worry, he'll sign his franchise tag" I know there's still a few days left here, but things are not looking good on the Byrd/contract front.

I'm just sitting back enjoying the show. Watching TBD rip itself apart over this topic. I'm really not sure why anyone expected anything but this, but some of you really thought this was going to end nicely.

So far were almost at 1,000 posts of people arguing over a friggin safety. A really good safety, but still, just a safety. He wants LT money, WR money, CB money, even lower end QB money.

Not to be the bearer of bad news, but we don't really need him at that cost. He's very good. Probably worthy of making the most for his position in the league. But I still don't want the Bulls paying that. But what the hell, it's not my money. Why should I care? Well, I don't really. But as I've said before, it's looking like Byrd either wants to be paid the highest, or wants to be on a team that will give him the best opportunity to win.

Nothing wrong with that. But if you can even get a 2nd round pick for the guy, you take it and run.

This whole thing is going to get worse before it gets better. I'm still holding out hope he resigns (only if its long term because a one year tag is pointless IMO) but I'm still betting he doesn't sign his tag until about 2 weeks before the season starts. Maybe later. If that's the case, I have a feeling he will be shopped heavily and because we are in a position of weakness, probably get a 3rd rounder at best for him. Well see though.

Sources: Bills' Byrd looking for Weddle, Goldson money

http://www.wgr550.co...dson-m/16801007

Good story and i think it is the right approach for both Byrd and the Bills.

Just under $7mil is not crazy money for this year. See how he plays and fits in the system. IF he stands out and has a great year, i bet the Bills would pay 5 years $40mil for him. IF the coaches decide that Byrd was not a big impact after the season, let him walk and spend money in another pressing area.

That WGR article kind of shows how screwed up the franchise tag is as a device for keeping salaries in check. On one hand, it's effective, but it comes at the cost of upper-tier players not being on the field, or not being at their best due to estranged relations with the team. It seems kind of needless when all is said and done. It is not, as is mentioned, really used on "franchise" players like a HOF caliber QB because these players already get re-signed by teams that want to keep them.

I'm not sure that it's the best way to reach the desired result. I think anyone who is faulting either side in this negotiation for behaving the way they are, is ignoring that this is really just the way that the system makes it play out. Byrd (and really, Parker) would be foolish to not base his negotiation strategy on what similar players are earning. The Bills, OTOH, have to be careful about giving that kind of money to a safety.

Personally, I hope the Bills cave because they are better with Byrd and don't appear to be in cap trouble, but there are questions about precedent and keeping other players in the fold. And it makes sense to ask those questions.

Hope it works out with Jairus staying here.

That WGR article kind of shows how screwed up the franchise tag is as a device for keeping salaries in check. On one hand, it's effective, but it comes at the cost of upper-tier players not being on the field, or not being at their best due to estranged relations with the team. It seems kind of needless when all is said and done. It is not, as is mentioned, really used on "franchise" players like a HOF caliber QB because these players already get re-signed by teams that want to keep them.

I'm not sure that it's the best way to reach the desired result. I think anyone who is faulting either side in this negotiation for behaving the way they are, is ignoring that this is really just the way that the system makes it play out. Byrd (and really, Parker) would be foolish to not base his negotiation strategy on what similar players are earning. The Bills, OTOH, have to be careful about giving that kind of money to a safety.

Personally, I hope the Bills cave because they are better with Byrd and don't appear to be in cap trouble, but there are questions about precedent and keeping other players in the fold. And it makes sense to ask those questions.

Hope it works out with Jairus staying here.

This brings up a much better point about FA / RFA, there needs to be a better plan. If there's a structure of compensation in place, why does the player get the option to hold out ?? Does a draftee get the option of not being drafted in a certain spot ?? There needs to be a simple mechanism of high pay (which for Byrd this is) & the ability for the team to be able to do this if you won't come along reasonably. If you can offer a guy a huge amount of money & they can get greedy, why can't you offer to tag the guy if they can't be reasonable ??

This brings up a much better point about FA / RFA, there needs to be a better plan. If there's a structure of compensation in place, why does the player get the option to hold out ?? Does a draftee get the option of not being drafted in a certain spot ?? There needs to be a simple mechanism of high pay (which for Byrd this is) & the ability for the team to be able to do this if you won't come along reasonably. If you can offer a guy a huge amount of money & they can get greedy, why can't you offer to tag the guy if they can't be reasonable ??

I think the solution (as I see it) could be some kind of slotting for franchise tagged players to sign a short multiyear (3 year, maybe guaranteed, but no bonus?) deal. If there is some option of a kind of by-the-book solution that could give the player a little more security without committing the team to five years, it might make things a little more flexible for both players and teams.

Obviously something that would have to be approved in a new CBA, and probably not realistic for a host of reasons.

I tend to agree. B-)

Ah... The smell of being right. Where are all the people that were saying "don't worry, he'll get a new contract, don't worry, he'll sign his franchise tag" I know there's still a few days left here, but things are not looking good on the Byrd/contract front.

I'm just sitting back enjoying the show. Watching TBD rip itself apart over this topic. I'm really not sure why anyone expected anything but this, but some of you really thought this was going to end nicely.

So far were almost at 1,000 posts of people arguing over a friggin safety. A really good safety, but still, just a safety. He wants LT money, WR money, CB money, even lower end QB money.

Not to be the bearer of bad news, but we don't really need him at that cost. He's very good. Probably worthy of making the most for his position in the league. But I still don't want the Bulls paying that. But what the hell, it's not my money. Why should I care? Well, I don't really. But as I've said before, it's looking like Byrd either wants to be paid the highest, or wants to be on a team that will give him the best opportunity to win.

Nothing wrong with that. But if you can even get a 2nd round pick for the guy, you take it and run.

This whole thing is going to get worse before it gets better. I'm still holding out hope he resigns (only if its long term because a one year tag is pointless IMO) but I'm still betting he doesn't sign his tag until about 2 weeks before the season starts. Maybe later. If that's the case, I have a feeling he will be shopped heavily and because we are in a position of weakness, probably get a 3rd rounder at best for him. Well see though.

Agree with almost all of this mrags. But consider the Bills Front Office is in a position of strength as they have the option to own Byrd for the next 2 years. If the Bills choose he can't play for anyone else in that time. No thanks to an offer of a 3rd rounder. I would prefer to keep him on the bench, watching Aaron Williams.

Agree with almost all of this mrags. But consider the Bills Front Office is in a position of strength as they have the option to own Byrd for the next 2 years. If the Bills choose he can't play for anyone else in that time. No thanks to an offer of a 3rd rounder. I would prefer to keep him on the bench, watching Aaron Williams.

If we're paying him that type of money, he better be on the field.

I think the solution (as I see it) could be some kind of slotting for franchise tagged players to sign a short multiyear (3 year, maybe guaranteed, but no bonus?) deal. If there is some option of a kind of by-the-book solution that could give the player a little more security without committing the team to five years, it might make things a little more flexible for both players and teams.

Is baseball's arbitration a potential model (something I know next to nothing about)?

and I see it as the other way around. Byrd has the opportunity to completely hold out and refuse to play for the Bills or for a meaningless one year deal 2 years in a row.

Half empty, half full kind of glass I suppose.

Bills also can force issue when he comes back putting him in conditioning and other tests and if he fails declare him not fit to play if he waits too long IF they want to play hardball. Not fit to play - no year.

and I see it as the other way around. Byrd has the opportunity to completely hold out and refuse to play for the Bills or for a meaningless one year deal 2 years in a row.

Half empty, half full kind of glass I suppose.

Somebody pointed it out to me that if we tag Byrd 2 years in a row, his average salary is about ~$7.5 Million. Which is a much smaller risk than giving him $8 Million with many years guaranteed, plus the Bills have leverage. This pretty much completely puts Byrd in a box & the Bills would be wise to not overpay.

Somebody pointed it out to me that if we tag Byrd 2 years in a row, his average salary is about ~$7.5 Million. Which is a much smaller risk than giving him $8 Million with many years guaranteed, plus the Bills have leverage. This pretty much completely puts Byrd in a box & the Bills would be wise to not overpay.

yeah, but Byrd can just say "F%#K YOU!" And refuse to play. Or he can take things very easy so that he doesn't get any injuries, much like Jason Peters and how he would click out and go the "nagging injury" route as soon as we were out of playoff contention, which was always right around game 12-13 for us at the time.

Im lost as to why EVERYONE thinks he has to okay. He doesn't have to do anything. He can save some years and sit out if he has to and then take a deal. He, IMO is doing this as a way to force a trade. Either pay him money that makes him the top paid safety in the league, or trade him to a winner. It's that simple.

yeah, but Byrd can just say "F%#K YOU!" And refuse to play. Or he can take things very easy so that he doesn't get any injuries, much like Jason Peters and how he would click out and go the "nagging injury" route as soon as we were out of playoff contention, which was always right around game 12-13 for us at the time.

Im lost as to why EVERYONE thinks he has to okay. He doesn't have to do anything. He can save some years and sit out if he has to and then take a deal. He, IMO is doing this as a way to force a trade. Either pay him money that makes him the top paid safety in the league, or trade him to a winner. It's that simple.

His refusal to pay comes at a huge loss of pay, so it's a tough pill to swallow. Who pays a guy that say out a few years in a row as well, that'd be fiscal / career suicide.