Byrd Skipping mandatory mini-camp

WRT Byrd holding out till the first day of the season - The Bills would be crazy to play him right away. Look what happened to Derek Jeter who had tried to get into playing shape playing in the minors. First day back - pulled quad. I don't care how Byrd's keeping fit on his own, if he's not in pads and getting smacked around - he's not in football shape and should not see the field in live action for at least 3 weeks. It would be too easy for him to sign, pop a ganubie, not play and collect his coin.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

WRT Byrd holding out till the first day of the season - The Bills would be crazy to play him right away. Look what happened to Derek Jeter who had tried to get into playing shape playing in the minors. First day back - pulled quad. I don't care how Byrd's keeping fit on his own, if he's not in pads and getting smacked around - he's not in football shape and should not see the field in live action for at least 3 weeks. It would be too easy for him to sign, pop a ganubie, not play and collect his coin.

Great points all around. Nothing gets a player in football shape other than football itself. I think it would be irresponsible to put Byrd in that position. While I'm positive he will have no problems with the mental aspects of a new scheme, etc., It will take a few weeks for his body to come around physically. And if A Williams happens to impress in a big way and with impact, Byrd actually might find it hard to get into the lineup so as not to ruin that newly established chemistry on the defense. While I'd be surprised if that happened, stranger things have occurred.

GO BILLS!!!

How unpopular will Byrd be if he signs just before week one to collect his $6.91m contract and then fails to perform due to lack of practice, pre season games and knowledge of the new Playbook ?

And how more unpopular will Byrd be if he holds out until week 10 ?

He might as well sign the $6.91m now and start preparing himself for Training Camp. He stands to gain nothing more by holding out. Only increase the animosity and fury of the fans some of whom would be pleased to earn 1% of the contract Byrd is refusing to sign.

On the other hand become a fans favourite and sign the multi year contract offered by the Bills. Not sure whether any of you guys follow Tennis. Andy Murray has just won Wimbledon and his winners cheque was approx $2.5m. He has donated it ALL to charity which from a PR perspective is a very shrewd move.

How unpopular will Byrd be if he signs just before week one to collect his $6.91m contract and then fails to perform due to lack of practice, pre season games and knowledge of the new Playbook ?

He might as well sign the $6.91m now and start preparing himself for Training Camp. He stands to gain nothing more by holding out. Only increase the animosity and fury of the fans some of whom would be pleased to earn 1% of the contract Byrd is refusing to sign.

On the other hand become a fans favourite and sign the multi year contract offered by the Bills. Not sure whether any of you guys follow Tennis. Andy Murray has just won Wimbledon and his winners cheque was approx $2.5m. He has donated it ALL to charity which from a PR perspective is a very shrewd move.

Peter , its not a contract so much as an insult . A long term contract rewards the player and says " i love you " so many ways.

I dont think it as simple as fans consider it. Such as he is not a team player or not appreciative etc.

Byrd is a very good man from a strong and healthy upbringing from all i have read and paid some attention to over these last couple years. i would prefer us not to consider his character in our opinions about a business deal.

Bills appear to value the safety position as some of you folks do. It has shown with the draft and the hopefullness of switching A Williams. And to me that is attempt to save his career.

many sign have pointed in the direction of " we dont really care about what you did for us Mr Byrd "

Its true. Ralph is cheap.

dammit i thought it was just a running joke

Maybe he needed a write off ?? J/K.

Classy move by Andy, great player & man.

Edited by mitchmurraydowntown

many sign have pointed in the direction of " we dont really care about what you did for us Mr Byrd "

Rambling aside, why should they care? Byrd was compensated for his previous work. The Bills are paying him for the production of years under which the new contract will be signed. If Byrd signs a new megadeal and performs poorly, will he give the money back?

Also, I'm amazed that you are unaware there is a Salary cap which is why they aren't interested in making him the highest paid safety in the game.

Edited by jeremy2020

And it's really not that big a deal to him financially because he pockets millions in appearance fees over the course of the year because every tournament he plays in pays him just to show up.

Rambling aside, why should they care? Byrd was compensated for his previous work. The Bills are paying him for the production of years under which the new contract will be signed. If Byrd signs a new megadeal and performs poorly, will he give the money back?

Also, I'm amazed that you are unaware there is a Salary cap which is why they aren't interested in making him the highest paid safety in the game.

Okay. We have over 18 million right now. I dont want to talk about who needs to be signed next or whether they should be, (Woods )

And no he was not compensated as even a top ten safety. But thats all part of the deal isnt it.

He was at about 15% if you ask Eugene.

i am fairly aware of the details friend.

That's why i have a strong opinion : )

So, I'm assuming no long term deal will get done. Where does that leave us? I'm a bit unclear on the Franchise tag... I saw some stuff about not signing it until November and still getting paid?

If he waited until week 10 he would have missed 9 games and his compensation would be prorated accordingly.

He would play 7/16ths of the schedule and thus would get 7/16ths of $6.91 million.

That works out to a bit over $3 million.

The writing has been on the wall for sometime. Byrd is going to sign the franchise tender before week one to collect his full salary. Whether he plays or not early in the season will be up to the team but I doubt it.

Edited by vincec

The writing has been on the wall for sometime. Byrd is going to sign the franchise tender before week one to collect his full salary. Whether he plays or not early in the season will be up to the team but I doubt it.

I'm sure the team has informed Byrd that if he waits until just before the season starts, he can expect to sit on the bench until he's in game shape and knows his assignments.

I'm sure the team has informed Byrd that if he waits until just before the season starts, he can expect to sit on the bench until he's in game shape and knows his assignments.

Obviously but I don't think that is quite the process you think it is

I doubt that this concerns Byrd much. He will be able to avoid injury early on and work himself into shape all while earning an all-star salary. And he will undoubtedly play the last dozen games or so to show his stuff for next season's suitors. Works out great for him.

I think the Bills have the upper hand and can slow play this (which it appears is exactly what they are doing).

the hammer being they can essentially franchise tag him 3 years in a row.

2013 is $6.9 mil (1st time)

2014 is $8.3 mil (120% increase, 2nd time)

2015 is $11.9 mil (144% increase, 3rd time)

this averages out to $9 mil/year which is probably less than Byrd is initially asking for and about what he would probably settle for. no way the bills agree to NOT tag him next year. the benefit to the Bills is it gives them time to evaluate him in Pettine's defense. it protects the Bills long term should Byrd get injured or not play at a Pro Bowl level and the Bills want out after any season. gives them plenty of time to seek a trade to our benefit. once he looks at the Bills options, it might force him to accept a more reasonable long term deal.

I think the Bills have the upper hand and can slow play this (which it appears is exactly what they are doing).

the hammer being they can essentially franchise tag him 3 years in a row.

2013 is $6.9 mil (1st time)

2014 is $8.3 mil (120% increase, 2nd time)

2015 is $11.9 mil (144% increase, 3rd time)

this averages out to $9 mil/year which is probably less than Byrd is initially asking for and about what he would probably settle for. no way the bills agree to NOT tag him next year. the benefit to the Bills is it gives them time to evaluate him in Pettine's defense. it protects the Bills long term should Byrd get injured or not play at a Pro Bowl level and the Bills want out after any season. gives them plenty of time to seek a trade to our benefit. once he looks at the Bills options, it might force him to accept a more reasonable long term deal.

The article today implied that Byrd was looking for around $8m per year for 5 years, so $9m per year probably sounds pretty good for him. If the Bills would be willing to give him a $9m average over 3 years then they would probably sign him to a long term deal right now. I agree that they will franchise him again next season but no way they do it for season three. I think that the Bills will be looking to move Byrd if a deal can't be reached before next summer.

Okay. We have over 18 million right now. I dont want to talk about who needs to be signed next or whether they should be, (Woods )

And no he was not compensated as even a top ten safety. But thats all part of the deal isnt it.

He was at about 15% if you ask Eugene.

i am fairly aware of the details friend.

That's why i have a strong opinion : )

except you don't seem to understand how the salary cap works. Every season a player plays, he will count against the cap for a certain amount.

Peter , its not a contract so much as an insult . A long term contract rewards the player and says " i love you " so many ways.

I dont think it as simple as fans consider it. Such as he is not a team player or not appreciative etc.

Byrd is a very good man from a strong and healthy upbringing from all i have read and paid some attention to over these last couple years. i would prefer us not to consider his character in our opinions about a business deal.

Bills appear to value the safety position as some of you folks do. It has shown with the draft and the hopefullness of switching A Williams. And to me that is attempt to save his career.

Putting aside the fact that Ralph isn't running the team, this isn't about "cheapness". If it were, they never would've franchised Byrd; it's much cheaper to let him walk...they didn't.

This is about the team an player having different opinions regarding the player's value; that's why holdouts happen. It's the exact--EXACT--same situation as Goldson had in SF last season. They tagged him and let his play determine if he was worth what he would get on the open market. Thy decides he wasn't, so they let him go, and he got his contract in TB.

From the looks of things, this will play out in very similar fashion.

It is not about this year, it is about next year and the year after. Next year will be a very painful year cap wise. A lot of tough decisions will have to be made, and a lot of decent players will be faced with being dumped as cap casualties. This year an excessive contract would not hurt the team, but that same contract could cripple the team next year and beyond. This year only those who really are drunk on the Kool-aide think we have a real chance this year. But next year, if a few more pieces are added in FA and the draft, and a few players finally reach their potential, Buffalo could finally be competitive for the first time in decades. Crippling the team with the cap because of excessive contacts like he is demanding could destroy that opportunity.