Byrd Skipping mandatory mini-camp

Well, it's generally reckoned that Troy Polamalu has the highest average salary at $9.1million, and I do believe quotes have been noted that Byrd wants to be the highest paid Safety in the League. So if he isn't the most talented Safety in the League, what is it that Parker is going after - if not for him being "underpaid" during his rookie contract. That's how I see it.

At this point, I hope he sits out till week 10, comes in for six weeks pay, and they tag him again. If he shows up like Peters did, he might not even see the field at all this year. Maybe they could put him on IR, or PUP him for four weeks. Rock meet Hammer.

He needs to play if he's there, he's a really good player & has a really over-reaching agent. Nobody deserves #1 pay from that defense last year, anyone thinking even close to that belongs in an asylum.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He needs to play if he's there, he's a really good player & has a really over-reaching agent. Nobody deserves #1 pay from that defense last year, anyone thinking even close to that belongs in an asylum.

Not if he isn't in game playing shape he doesn't. In fact it would be foolish to play him in that scenario till he's practiced with the team - whatever shape that is at that point in the season, it isn't what and who he's been playing in and with for the past four years.

You're not understanding their negotiation position.

Them: Byrd was underpaid for the production he performed his first four years.

Bills: He's not the top Safety in The League. We'll offer him the average of the top 5 Safeties, and you can shop his services around The League and we'll take draft picks if he gets a deal elsewhere that we won't match.

Them: We reject that. Byrd needs to be paid with the highest contract of all Safeties in The League to make up for you slighting him in his rookie contract.

Bills: Glad you think that. We're not going to pay him anything more than what we think he's worth - today.

Not if he isn't in game playing shape he doesn't. In fact it would be foolish to play him in that scenario till he's practiced with the team - whatever shape that is at that point in the season, it isn't what and who he's been playing in and with for the past four years.

You're not understanding their negotiation position.

Them: Byrd was underpaid for the production he performed his first four years.

Bills: He's not the top Safety in The League. We'll offer him the average of the top 5 Safeties, and you can shop his services around The League and we'll take draft picks if he gets a deal elsewhere that we won't match.

Them: We reject that. Byrd needs to be paid with the highest contract of all Safeties in The League to make up for you slighting him in his rookie contract.

Bills: Glad you think that. We're not going to pay him anything more than what we think he's worth - today.

Them: I think I'll more as a grocery store clerk or I can sign this piece of paper making me an official multi-millionaire.

I find the concept of "retro" pay interesting. It's a complete crock, but interesting none the less.

GO BILLS!!!

The retro-thing can cut either way, did anyone really earn their money on the Bills defense last season ?? Let's collect some of that back for poor performances & see if the players like the tables turned.

I find the concept of "retro" pay interesting. It's a complete crock, but interesting none the less.

GO BILLS!!!

I do too. But I do think that is their position. I think we can all agree that The Bills got the better end of his rookie contract/performance ratio. But that's the breaks. I really think that is the big stumbling block in Parker's head. He wants top dog money for his man NOW because he was under paid previously.

I do too. But I do think that is their position. I think we can all agree that The Bills got the better end of his rookie contract/performance ratio. But that's the breaks. I really think that is the big stumbling block in Parker's head. He wants top dog money for his man NOW because he was under paid previously.

His last 3 season INT's total equaled his 1st season, so how far back do we go ??

We've discussed Parker's comments and the idea that they could be construed as wanting retroactive pay. They also could be interpreted differently.

Byrd got paid commensurate with his draft position. He was slotted as are virtually every player drafted into the NFL.

I sure hope this isn't Parker's mindset because if it is, it would blow the whole idea of him being "fair" completely out of the water. The idea of retroactive pay is delusional at best.

We've discussed Parker's comments and the idea that they could be construed as wanting retroactive pay. They also could be interpreted differently.

Byrd got paid commensurate with his draft position. He was slotted as are virtually every player drafted into the NFL.

I sure hope this isn't Parker's mindset because if it is, it would blow the whole idea of him being "fair" completely out of the water. The idea of retroactive pay is delusional at best.

That seems to be Parker's position, though.

Byrd has earned a better deal given his performance. That puts the issue of "retro" pay to bed. At least it should. But Parker comes across as someone trying to right a great wrong. To strike a blow for justice! It's great that Byrd proved himself worthy of top 5 money for his position. But he played for EXACTLY what he AGREED to play for and, unless the Bills didn't pay him the amount agreed to, he COULDN'T have been underpaid.

Let's not confuse "outperforming your previous deal" with being underpaid. Parker seems to have done that.

GO BILLS!!!

My take on the agent thing is that Byrd is a grown man...And by this time, if he REALLY wanted to be in Buffalo, he could easily nudge his agent in that direction...And he would absolutely, at bare minimum, sign the tag in time to be in Camp starting Sunday...That's why...and it's only my opinion...but that's why I feel Byrd is all but done in Buffalo...I don't think he wants to be here...And IF that is the case I don't care if he ever sees the field again in a Bills uniform...Even if that means the Bills D is not as good...If I'm right, and Byrd does not want to be here unless he's the top paid safety...well...I'm completely, 100%, done with him... B-)

My take on the agent thing is that Byrd is a grown man...And by this time, if he REALLY wanted to be in Buffalo, he could easily nudge his agent in that direction...And he would absolutely, at bare minimum, sign the tag in time to be in Camp starting Sunday...That's why...and it's only my opinion...but that's why I feel Byrd is all but done in Buffalo...I don't think he wants to be here...And IF that is the case I don't care if he ever sees the field again in a Bills uniform...Even if that means the Bills D is not as good...If I'm right, and Byrd does not want to be here unless he's the top paid safety...well...I'm completely, 100%, done with him... B-)

There is also nothing to preclude Parker from finding a team that is willing to pay Byrd what he wants. I just wonder why he hasn't done that yet. I've heard in these parts it's because no team wants to pay Byrd what he wants AND give up draft picks. I'm sure the Bills would settle for a first rounder. Surely, a proven All Pro safety is worth the price of a first round pick with no more than potential, no?

GO BILLS!!!

There is also nothing to preclude Parker from finding a team that is willing to pay Byrd what he wants. I just wonder why he hasn't done that yet. I've heard in these parts it's because no team wants to pay Byrd what he wants AND give up draft picks. I'm sure the Bills would settle for a first rounder. Surely, a proven All Pro safety is worth the price of a first round pick with no more than potential, no?

GO BILLS!!!

No reason to give up a proven asset without the proper compensation, 2 first round picks.

No reason to give up a proven asset without the proper compensation, 2 first round picks.

Well, by that standard, Byrd would actually have to be as good as everyone around here thinks he is.

GO BILLS!!!

Whaley: "We've been in contact with Byrd"

"Bills GM Doug Whaley spoke to the media at training camp Saturday and when asked about progress on the Jairus Byrd front said the following.

'We have been in contact with Jairus and his people,' said Whaley. 'The lines of communication remain open.'

When asked for details on those discussions
Whaley stated that the team will not negotiate publicly through the media. (They leave that to the fans on TBD.)
"

Okay, so I exaggerated a little. :lol:

Of the 8 players that where franchised, Byrd is the only one who has not signed his tag tender or negotiated a long term deal.

Did Parker represent any of the other 8? Or did he represent any other players who came up for FA this offseason and resigned with their teams?

I wonder if Parker does indeed have some type of notion about Buffalo and thus does not want his players playing there unless they get paid top dollar?

conspiracy theory? Maybe.

I wonder if Parker does indeed have some type of notion about Buffalo and thus does not want his players playing there unless they get paid top dollar?

conspiracy theory? Maybe.

Parker was Cornelius Bennett's agent in 1992 when the player signed an extension just before the regular season. Of course, Bill Polian was the GM back then.

http://www.buffalonews.com/20130602/high_stakes_hardball.html

I'm disappointed the Byrd was not signed to an extension, but I think that not overpaying is important. Now that we are past that point, I don't think he helps himself or us by staying gone long, and I expect him to come pretty soon, play a great season, and sign an extension after the season. But that is the best case scenario, and he could go the Peters route instead, which would be a great disappointment.

Surely, a proven All Pro safety is worth the price of a first round pick with no more than potential, no?

GO BILLS!!!

In the real world he probably is worth a first.

In this thread, some feel he is worthless and lucky to be even offered the tag.

One has to think that Whaley has to have received at least once call as to a sign and trade when that was possible. So, is this scenario possible? We (the FO) won't pay him top 3 at his position. But if you want him, then we want compensation based on him being the best FS in 2012.

i wonder how much the FO is to blame for this. a lot of people on this board are blaming byrd and his agent but why is the FO not getting some of this blame. im bummed he did not get signed to a long term deal but im not gonna blame him for not signing a deal that none of us know the details too. i hope he gets a long term deal done with the bills at some point to keep him here. but im not gonna blame him any more than the FO