Byrd Skipping mandatory mini-camp

Peters had fewer cards in 2009 than Byrd does now and Parker still got him paid.

Until we know what the Byrd camp is demanding, it's hard to say one way or another who is completely out of line. But if it's 8M per and the Bills are balking, it's further indication that while faces have changed at OBD, the end result is still that the Bills won't re-sign their own elite talent.

i think the question you have to ask is what would that 8 million per year do to the salary cap landscape over the next few years. there are players that are going to need new contracts as well as possible free agents. but i'm sure there will be cuts and restructures along the way as well. all in all, i would love to find out what the true economic situation of the bills looks like, as well as the true happenings of the byrd contract negotioations.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm sure it's been posted but, Byrd is basically screwed when it comes to trying to force a deal on his worth. These are the options:

1) They come to an agreement to a long term contract this year.

2) Byrd plays this year, at his franchise tag price, in a new system where he might not fit as well as he has in past systems, and we lock him up long term next year.

3) Byrd doesn't play, holds out and still collects his franchise tag money. He is either signed long term, re-franchised, or traded at the end of the season

4) Some team gives up 2 first round draft picks and a player for Byrd

No safety is worth 2 first round picks and a player. That's Franchise Elite QB ransom.

Actually, there is some inaccuracy here.

First, Byrd cannot hold out, not play, and collect his franchise tag money. He has to play to be paid. Also, he has to play before some date in November or he doesn't even get credit for the season as an accrued year of service.

Secondly, he was given a non-exclusive Franchise Tag, which means compensation is a 1st and a 3rd for a team to sign him to an offer sheet that the Bills don't match.

Finally, the Bills could still trade him for whatever compensation they want before July 15th, although the trading team would want to be sure he would sign a long-term deal before then. So it doesn't have to be a 1st and a 3rd if done that way instead.

Mr Buscaglia expressed my opinion very eloquently today.

I reallyreally like Joes perspective on this.

I have been less than pleased with some of you folkses opinions of Jairus as a Bill.

So again i wil say its not my money. sign him. I think he would still get behind the team and continue to improve.

But of course i dont know the Whaley side much less the man who signs the checks these days.

l Losing him will be a setback for a couple years . Keep in mind A Williams sucked. yes he did.

And Duke much less Meeks are unknowns in the NFL.

I think Bills want the trade offer myself for 1 and 3

@AlbertBreer

Eight players were franchised in February/March. None have gotten long-term deals. Looking back, hard to find a year where that happened.

@AlbertBreer

.... So if none of the eight sign by Monday, and all eight guys play on their franchise tenders, it'd be the first o-fer ... maybe ever.

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

@AlbertBreer

Eight players were franchised in February/March. None have gotten long-term deals. Looking back, hard to find a year where that happened.

@AlbertBreer

.... So if none of the eight sign by Monday, and all eight guys play on their franchise tenders, it'd be the first o-fer ... maybe ever.

I bet that rat eugene Parker represents all 8 and is trying to screw over 8 lovable loser small market teams. All will be traded to Philly by week 1.

I think this hold out is going to hurt both sides.

I see Byrd signing right before week one so that he doesn't lose any of the franchise tag $. However, I think that given a new staff and scheme that he is totally unfamiliar with it will be hard for him to play well, which will hurt his bargaining position next season. Obviously that's not good for the Bills either. Also, call me old school, but I believe that completely missing training camp is going to increase his chances of getting hurt- which would be the true nightmare scenario for Byrd.

Edited by vincec

I think this hold out is going to hurt both sides.

I see Byrd signing right before week one so that he doesn't lose any of the franchise tag $. However, think that given a new staff and scheme that he is totally unfamiliar with it will be hard for him to play well, which will hurt his bargaining position next season. Obviously that's not good for the Bills either. Also, call me old school, but I believe that completely missing training camp is going to increase his chances of getting hurt- which would be the true nightmare scenario for Byrd.

I agree that the lose/lose scenario is very possible.

Byrd really has no leverage so he'll stay away as long as he can without missing a paycheck. Then he'll come in just before the season starts.

This course of action alone could definitely end up hurting both he and the team.

In this case, if he signed his franchise tender and got injured, he'd still get his money but it would further reduce his leverage for next year.

I think the Bills on the other hand are prepared to move forward without Byrd anyways. As I said months ago, I expect the Bills to play hardball and simply squat on his rights indefinitely. Maybe a team comes forward with a good trade offer maybe not.

I agree that the lose/lose scenario is very possible.

Byrd really has no leverage so he'll stay away as long as he can without missing a paycheck. Then he'll come in just before the season starts.

This course of action alone could definitely end up hurting both he and the team.

In this case, if he signed his franchise tender and got injured, he'd still get his money but it would further reduce his leverage for next year.

I think the Bills on the other hand are prepared to move forward without Byrd anyways. As I said months ago, I expect the Bills to play hardball and simply squat on his rights indefinitely. Maybe a team comes forward with a good trade offer maybe not.

He'll sign a week before the season starts to collect his check.

Especially if it's a serious injury where the chances of him coming back in one season are slim. That's where that multi-year contract would have really come in handy...

I don't think it's black and white based on this mostly-numerical analysis, But the 8-8.5 mil per range (with the difference being front-load vs back-load) seems like a worthwhile risk for the Bills.

http://www.wgr550.co...Bills-/16784046

Great piece. It's sad that the Buffalo News doesn't do this. The fact that a genuinely bad radio station publishes better stuff than the local paper of record speaks volumes. Btw, he's right about the changing nature of positional overpaying. Byrd is an elite player, and it seems crushingly obvious to me.

The last 3 seasons Byrd averages THREE interceptions a year. That's approx 1 every 5 games. Byrd is good but lets not get carried away with thinking he is irreplaceable. For the Ravens even they can move on from Ed Reed. I'm thinking that whoever plays at Safety for the Bills this season will get close or even exceed a 3 INT number. I would prefer Byrd but do not want the Bills to concede one dollar more than they want to in contract negotiations with Parker.

So who is irreplaceable on the team? No one is irreplaceable. There is no Tom Brady on the Bills team.

Right on... Everyone is replaceable particularly on a d that bad.

Favre, and Manning are canton bound and were adequately replaced... Yes the Bills have failed here, but I assert in full confidence until they gain the ability to build a roster, they will continue to fail. Paying top $ to Levitre yielded identical arguments to the one you correctly challenge, but if the bills have to pay top dollar at less critical positions, the'll never get where we all want thm to go.

I for one look forward to the days when we barely know the name of the free safety because the other 10 guys are making the play first.

Enuf w all this Jairus Byrd nonsense. He was a decent player on one of the ALLTIME WORST defenses in NFL history. And he thinks he should be one of, if not the highest paid safety in the league. That is absolutely laughable. Do you all think that whether we have Byrd or not on this team will be the deciding factor in how well we play this year? He plays safety. We will be fine w/o him. paying him 8 mill/year is utterly ridiculous. The fact that he has not signed the

Franchise tag leads me to believe that he does not want to be here anyways.

Look at free agency this year. Not a lot of big contracts given out. How many teams wanted the supposed best DB in the league? One, Tampa Bay. There was no market for the Jets to stir up. And Revis is a much better player than Byrd. Teams are not paying the huge deals, unless it is for top QB's. The salary cap is flat this year from last year. No team is going to pay Byrd 8-9 mill/year. Teams would rather pay the Donte Witners of the world 1-2 mill to play safety. It is an interchangeable position. We will be fine w whoever we have back there, because defense is scheme based much more than player based in today's NFL.

So lets get excited about EJ Manuel, Robert Woods and Kiko Alonso, and move on from a free safety who really was not that great in coverage if you really watch the film.

Any team can still sign him to an offer sheet. Bills would get a 1st and a 3rd if they didn't match. So he is probably worth a 1st and a 3rd in trade. If I were the Bills and he doesn't sign and holds out until November, I'd franchise tag him every year for the rest of his career.

Isn't it two firsts?

Peters had fewer cards in 2009 than Byrd does now and Parker still got him paid.

Until we know what the Byrd camp is demanding, it's hard to say one way or another who is completely out of line. But if it's 8M per and the Bills are balking, it's further indication that while faces have changed at OBD, the end result is still that the Bills won't re-sign their own elite talent.

You keep hiding behind this "we don't know what they're demanding" argument to avoid staking out a position -- which of course leaves the door open to your usual bashing regardless of the outcome. Do you think the Bills should pay Byrd between 8-9M per season on a 4-5 year deal or not? Simple question.

You keep hiding behind this "we don't know what they're demanding" argument to avoid staking out a position -- which of course leaves the door open to your usual bashing regardless of the outcome. Do you think the Bills should pay Byrd between 8-9M per season on a 4-5 year deal or not? Simple question.

$9m over 5 years !! You are joking me.

$8m over 4 years is closer to the ballpark but still seems too rich.

How about a figure starting with $7 ?

So looks like its $6.91m for one year with Bills retaining option to tag again in 2014.

Obviously...I'm sure that's why the team drafted two safeties this year and moved Aaron Williams over there

Ya but you think that they are satisfied with a former CB turned safety and a 4th and 5th round pick?

Obviously if we do well enough this eyar then that will change but I cant see them passing on a top safety if one is there when we pick

CBF

I do.