Byrd Skipping mandatory mini-camp

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The title of this thread makes this issue into something that it is not. Byrd is a restricted free agent, and not under contract. He's not skipping anything. In fact the NFL rules would prohibit him from participating in OTA's even if he wanted to. Let's see where we are on July 28th when training camp is scheduled to open, before we blow a gasket in early June. Until he either signs his tender or signs a new contract with the team, he CANNOT attend any of the mini-camps or anything else. He's not skipping anything, so much as he's prohibited.

Really? Then why was his GM (less than 18 months after giving Fitz that deal) crying to another GM that that new contract was crippling said GM's ability to sign other players?

In fact, he said "We just can't afford to pay that kind of money for a guy who's fighting for probably a backup job."

This was after Fitz had a year (2012) at least as good as in 2010, when Buddy rewarded him with that contract.

Good man, you answered your own question!!

"for a guy who's fighting for probably a backup job"

He looked a lot like a longer term solution when the deal was done. He was a top 15 qb in the league as I recall through week 5 or 7. The second half was a disaster.

A year and half later it was clear the progress, improvement and development had arrested and strategically it was going to need to be fixed with a new entrant.

The whinning to the tampa GM, may be how buddy fishes for interest or ideas....

With a big roster bonus looming he simply said "he's going to have to do something, or we're going to have to do something".

They did. To me is seems like a pretty pedestrian business transaction. No huge gaffe on either side, just a little case of unrealized hopes and and expectations with a clear exit strategy, which was executed.

1. Byrd is a great player, interceptions and forced fumbles are gold and he gets a lot of them, he lacks great speed but is a very solid tackler and has good technique across the board.

2. While the above is true that doesn't mean the Bills wouldn't want to trade him if the deal was right, IMO one of the reasons for this is Aaron Williams, because even though he was a disappointment at CB he has the chance of becoming a very very good free safety. So a good deal for Byrd would help the Bills three ways- getting Aaron Williams in his best position, extra 2014 draft picks, and salary cap room.

3. The problem for the Bills is that of the teams who really need a safety they come in two flavors - 2 playoff contenders who have very little cap space and 2-3 other teams where Safety is just one of many needs and they probably would be loath to give up high draft picks.

What all this means in the long run is a long hold out while the Bills get a chance to look at Aaron Williams and other safety prospects, if some of these prospects come through expect Byrd to be traded for less than you'd think, if the prospects are disappointing expect the Bills to make a significant offer increase to attempt to sign Byrd .

Every team overpays? You know who doesnt overpay? The Steelers. You know where our GM came from? The Steelers.

Bingo. And he isn't going to overpay for a safety period. I would ship Byrds ass outta here as soon as I got a decent draft pick offer for the guy.

I could give a crap about his season stats. When you watch the guy play, he's average to good. Not great, and not nearly disruptive enough for my liking. Byrd had a great rookie year. -Fell flat the next. With the exception of a few lucky breaks, he's pretty much worked his way back to the middle.

He can be upgraded....I'd welcome a trade with open arms.

Fell flat the next? He had his best year last year. He didn't allow a single TD in coverage, and as QB's shied away from him (only 21 targets), he still managed to pick off 5 balls and change the outcome of at least 1 game (maybe 2). He's the best coverage free safety in the league, and aside from an aging Ed Reed the best free safety in the league period. If you indeed watched his play last year and considered it average, you either a) don't know the difference between a strong safety and a free safety, or b) need to cut back on your liquor intake during these games. There wasn't a better free safety on the field last year, and I'm not just saying that as some blindly-devoted Bills' homer.

If you want to make the argument that a safety isn't worth $8M+, okay, that discussion has legs. But to say he's average and can be upgraded is laughable.

If Parker is asking too much, all the bills can do is get Byrd under contract even the franchise tag , and trade him if the cost is too high. We can't let him walk without a trade like Levitre. The bills have more good players to re-sign yet like CJ and Eric Woods

The Bills got rid of TJax which was a 1.75 million dollar cap savings and they still have Brad Smith's 2.75 million and I think Brad is a likely cut given the dog fight that sixth WR is going to be. So if worst comes to worse and the Bills have to over pay a little they are still in good shape.

Fell flat the next? He had his best year last year. He didn't allow a single TD in coverage, and as QB's shied away from him (only 21 targets), he still managed to pick off 5 balls and change the outcome of at least 1 game (maybe 2). He's the best coverage free safety in the league, and aside from an aging Ed Reed the best free safety in the league period. If you indeed watched his play last year and considered it average, you either a) don't know the difference between a strong safety and a free safety, or b) need to cut back on your liquor intake during these games. There wasn't a better free safety on the field last year, and I'm not just saying that as some blindly-devoted Bills' homer.

If you want to make the argument that a safety isn't worth $8M+, okay, that discussion has legs. But to say he's average and can be upgraded is laughable.

I've taken issue with this in other threads and I will again. There were at least two TDs, both when Gilmore was in man coverage, and Byrd was WAY late in getting over to his side to help. That's his responsibility when he has deep half responsibility and he flat out couldn't get there because he's just not fast enough. There were other long completions to his half as well that didn't end up as TDs but were big plays none the less. Perhaps QBs didn't target his side as much because George Wilson was even WORSE in his coverage assignments all year.

Byrd's got great instincts and a nose for the ball, but he's far from perfect due to his physical limitations on the field.

GO BILLS!!!

I've taken issue with this in other threads and I will again. There were at least two TDs, both when Gilmore was in man coverage, and Byrd was WAY late in getting over to his side to help. That's his responsibility when he has deep half responsibility and he flat out couldn't get there because he's just not fast enough. There were other long completions to his half as well that didn't end up as TDs but were big plays none the less. Perhaps QBs didn't target his side as much because George Wilson was even WORSE in his coverage assignments all year.

Byrd's got great instincts and a nose for the ball, but he's far from perfect due to his physical limitations on the field.

GO BILLS!!!

i dont recall the plays off hand - are you sure that it was truly his spot and he wasnt actually pulled to another receiver and then late to get back to cover up gilmores mistake?

i cant say either way, but to just say his side, his job is a common mistake evaluating. could be 100% accurate though, and i do trust your take more than many so dont take it as me saying your wrong - mostly curious to see the play in question.

i dont recall the plays off hand - are you sure that it was truly his spot and he wasnt actually pulled to another receiver and then late to get back to cover up gilmores mistake?

i cant say either way, but to just say his side, his job is a common mistake evaluating. could be 100% accurate though, and i do trust your take more than many so dont take it as me saying your wrong - mostly curious to see the play in question.

Positive. TD pass against Gilmore vs. Cleveland and again vs. SF. On both, Byrd has deep cover responsibility. I can cut him some slack for the one against SF because he was playing centerfield in a cover-1, was caught cheating towards Rogers' side, and Alex Smith made a good read and throw when he saw that. But the point is, Byrd has been slow in coverage since he entered the league. It's his one fault and he's been beaten because of it.

GO BILLS!!!

It's not mandatory for him since he didn't sign his tender and isn't under contract...if he signed his tender the Bills could fine him, but since he hasn't he has every right not to be there...wouldn't be my choice with a new coaching staff, but I'm sure his agent is instructing him what to do...

PFF rated him as either the best or 2nd best safety in the NFL...he is far from average...

Positive. TD pass against Gilmore vs. Cleveland and again vs. SF. On both, Byrd has deep cover responsibility. I can cut him some slack for the one against SF because he was playing centerfield in a cover-1, was caught cheating towards Rogers' side, and Alex Smith made a good read and throw when he saw that. But the point is, Byrd has been slow in coverage since he entered the league. It's his one fault and he's been beaten because of it.

GO BILLS!!!

Byrd wasn't even on the field for the Cleveland TD, it was Wilson, Rogers and Gilmore on that side. So.....yeah, your memory needs some refreshing. He has no man assignment in a zone cover-1, so you can't lay the blame squarely on him. He was the best coverage free safety in the league last year. Maybe you've been confusing him with Justin Rogers all these years?