Byrd Skipping mandatory mini-camp

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We will not overpay for him, he's a one year wonder on a consistently losing team. If he was consistent on a winning team, he'd have a chance at his contract goal.

He's not a one year wonder, he's a good young player who could be a stalwart at safety for us for the next decade. Whaley better work something out--you simply cannot build a consistent contender by letting young talent go.

He's not a one year wonder, he's a good young player who could be a stalwart at safety for us for the next decade. Whaley better work something out--you simply cannot build a consistent contender by letting young talent go.

Talent is one side of the equation. The willingness to play here is quite another, and it seems that it is lacking on Byrd's part. I'm fine with letting him go.

JMO, but he's truly not that good... Watch a few hours of game tape, and you'll see Jairus standing in the end-zone while numerous touchdowns are scored on us. He's average, at best in coverage, doesn't anticipate well, and lacks flat speed. I say let him go... Wish we could have have taken Swearinger, but Duke Williams will do just fine.

We will not overpay for him, he's a one year wonder on a consistently losing team. If he was consistent on a winning team, he'd have a chance at his contract goal.

We? Don't know who this "We" is but the Bills will probably pay to keep Byrd. Every team overpays.

http://www.buffalorumblings.com/2013/6/10/4415240/jairus-byrd-planning-to-skip-buffalo-bills-mandatory-ota.

"This news isn't remotely surprising, as this minicamp is Byrd's last bit of leverage before a July 15 deadline for the two sides to agree to a long-term deal. If July 15 comes and goes without a contract, Byrd will only be able to sign a one-year deal with the club, and he'll have the option of abstaining from joining the team until as late as November 12."

"Byrd can't be fined for his absence, as he's currently not under contract (he hasn't signed the franchise tender the team put on him in early March). His continued absence will undoubtedly be a disappointment for all parties involved, but again: July 15 is the date to really worry about."

Edited by Jerry Jabber

JMO, but he's truly not that good... Watch a few hours of game tape, and you'll see Jairus standing in the end-zone while numerous touchdowns are scored on us. He's average, at best in coverage, doesn't anticipate well, and lacks flat speed. I say let him go... Wish we could have have taken Swearinger, but Duke Williams will do just fine.

lol absolutely ridiculous. He's led the AFC in INT in 2 of his 4 seasons, but yeah he doesn't anticipate well and he's slow.

I understand and respect your opinion but disagree completely.

You can't build a contender by overpaying players at lower impact positions either.

It has to be a sensible discussion and if ultimately Bryds agent only sees a long term huge money deal, I think the bills will sadly need to set Byrd free.

I speculate the respective positions are along these lines:

Bills- arent sure about doing a top safety long term deal and don't know how Byrd looks in the new D. Great player, just don't know if free safety is where the team needs to spend big long term $. One year deal makes best sense.

Parker: Byrd stock is at an all time high, he is considered a top safety in the game coming off an all pro/Probowl/int leading year. This guy won't set foot on a field until he has a long term deal with top safety money. Singing the RFA one year deal brings risk of a down year impairing market value. Unless he has a HOFer type of year, he can only either retain or reduce his market value.

I could be way off base here but these proposed relative postures seem to make a lot of sense and if on target could result in a protracted process, prior to any resolution.

If Byrd is let go, can we at least consider the notable post-Jauron castoffs before we determine whether or not the FO knows what it's doing:

1. Lee Evans
  2. Andy Levitre
  3. Paul Pozluszny
  4. Donte Whitner
  5. Aaron Maybin

Aside from Lynch, whose complicated situation has been hashed and rehashed to the point of oblivion, and aside from Levitre--whom has yet to play a non-Bills snap--what evidence is there to suggest that the Bills organization doesn't know what they're missing when they let talent walk? Am I missing a player or two?

Because it looks to me that if the Bills don't think he's worth keeping...then he's not worth keeping. To date, their evaluations have shown this to be true.