OLB/DE Jamie Blatnick - Could be the surprise of camp.

OLB/DE Jamie Blatnick is flying under the radar. Most fans don't even know that he's on the Bills' current roster. Blatnick is currently 6'-3" 253 lbs down from 273 lbs a year ago when he played for the Broncos as a first year player from Oklahoma State. He was viewed as a "tweener" coming out of college (i.e. too big to play OLB, too small to play DE in the NFL) so he had been thrown to the scrap heap. At his current height and weight he has the ideal size to play in Pettine's hybrid defense as an OLB/DE. He is quicker and more agile at the lesser weight as well. See some of his college highlights below. He has been a standout in OTAs thus far with the Bills and just may be a very pleasant surprise for the defense. The link:

http://footballsfuture.com/2012/combine/de.html

Decent measurables although he has short arms which is surprising because he uses his hands well based on the OP's highlight package.

Based on that same video, Blatnick's got some nice push-pull pass rush moves and a strong inside counter.

As a run defender he seems to understand leverages and holds the point very well and seems like a smart and instinctive player who always knows where the ball is. Of course these are highlights so we haven't seen the not-so-good plays.

According to the piece in BB.com yesterday, Blatnick describes himself as "a technique player" although he appears to also be a decent athlete.

http://www.buffalobills.com/news/article-2/DE-Jamie-Blatnick-campaigning-for-roster-spot/2653e13f-d1fd-42a6-bc89-b78368c3f918

Every year, we see hype such as this with someone coming in out of nowhere to wow and amaze, only to fall flat on their face when the bullets really fly. Let's see where he is in late August....

Edited by Kipers Hair

Every year, we see hype such as this with someone coming in our of nowhere to wow and amaze, only to fall flat on their face when the bullets really fly. Let's see where he is in late August....

I seem to agree here. However, the OP never said he's going to be a pro-bowler (we can only hope :rolleyes: )!

He'll be competing for snaps with Mark Anderson, Jerry Hughes, Manny Lawson, and Arthur Moats.

Marcus Dowtin is also an OLB for us, after playing inside as the dime linebacker for the Jets, according to Pettine. I think Pettine likes this kid and moving him outside gives him a better chance at holding up vs. the run, and earning more snaps.

I hope we find a way to develop him and keep him on Jamie seems to be football smart and intuitive . Moats is on the bubble i would guess and Anderson we have no idea if he is a busted FA .

Mario will be designated DE i would guess ? Maybe Anderson too .

Boy it's some nice competition this year even though we only had OTAs

I really just wanted people to known that Blatnick is not a camp fodder player. He can play. In the right defensive scheme he can contribute as a pass rusher and as a player who can set the edge. He's competing against MW, Anderson, Lawson, Hughes, Pough. I see Dowtin and Moats being used as ILB primarly, although both can play OLB. Moats has always seemed to me to be a good pass rusher, but the Bills seem to prefer him inside. Blatnick is obviously not going to beat out MW, Lawson or even Hughes, but he could beat out Anderson (if not full recovered) and certainly Pough who doesn't set the edge quite as well as Blatnick.

OLB/DE Jamie Blatnick is flying under the radar. Most fans don't even know that he's on the Bills' current roster. Blatnick is currently 6'-3" 253 lbs down from 273 lbs a year ago when he played for the Broncos as a first year player from Oklahoma State. He was viewed as a "tweener" coming out of college (i.e. too big to play OLB, too small to play DE in the NFL) so he had been thrown to the scrap heap. At his current height and weight he has the ideal size to play in Pettine's hybrid defense as an OLB/DE. He is quicker and more agile at the lesser weight as well. See some of his college highlights below. He has been a standout in OTAs thus far with the Bills and just may be a very pleasant surprise for the defense. The link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=uDGLOejONNQ.

he was a bull in college so hopefully he can turn it around here.

I liked Blatnick when he left Ok. State. I was hoping we would draft him. I remember watching him man-handle Jonathan Martin (Miami Dolphins' current LT) when they played Stanford in their bowl game. Here's to seeing more of that this coming season. :beer: