Stevie Johnson's one handed catch

Ever since this perfectly thrown Fitz pass......I lost the respect I had for SJ. Obviously this post will be deleted but I saw this live and it made me sick. I could have caught this ball. Easily. Hate to be a downer / buzz-kill here but lets face it he's an average receiver.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ever since this perfectly thrown Fitz pass......I lost the respect I had for SJ. Obviously this post will be deleted but I saw this live and it made me sick. I could have caught this ball. Easily. Hate to be a downer / buzz-kill here but lets face it he's an average receiver.

Let me get this straight.

Three years ago in his first full season as a starter, Stevie dropped a game-winning pass in week 12 of a 4-12 season.

And since that time you've lost respect for him in spite of him having two more excellent seasons?

The drop happened at a time when Stevie was a relative unknown in the NFL.

So tell me you're kidding.

I don't like being a downer, but while everyone sees a great catch, I see a really bad throw which, if it were more accurate, would have given Stevie the inside lane to take it up the field.

Not to mention...yes, great catch, but a little more air and that's a pick.

I see a great catch by a great Bills receiver on a bad throw by someone or other who's with some different team now.

Three years ago in his first full season as a starter, Stevie dropped a game-winning pass in week 12 of a 4-12 season.

And since that time you've lost respect for him in spite of him having two more excellent seasons?

Don't worry, there are a lot of people here that will call him an average receiver/lose respect for him until they decide to finally let it go.

**** happens

And I remember the folks around here taking solace in the fact that at least it meant we wouldn't drop in the draft.

Of course our 2009 #1 pick was the fearsome DE from Penn State:

aaron-maybin.jpg

thing is, it was in a blowout, in the middle of the field, in a game that wasnt widely watched.... etc....

it wasnt scoring, it wasnt at a clutch moment.... it was impressive, but ultimately it was meaningless play for a small market team which leads me to believe it wont be at the top of the list.

Actually, you're wrong. The score was 31-17 early in the 3rd and if the Bills score on that drive it's a one-TD game.

Actually, you're wrong. The score was 31-17 early in the 3rd and if the Bills score on that drive it's a one-TD game.

Right but we didnt, and this list has hindsight available and it was merely between the 20s and not a catch to score, and still completely meaningless in a blowout despite being impressive.

The top of the list I expect to be littered with game winners, playoffs, huge yardage and marquee players or marquee teams leaving little room for Stevie getting a short first down at his end of the field in a regular season blowout. This list has the gift of hindsight and can pick other "really good plays" that actually did spark important events over a great one that did nothing.

We will see. It's possible it'll make it but the longer we wait the more skeptical I will become as I don't think it'll be close to very top.

Edited by NoSaint

It' doesn't discredit the acrobatic reception. It merely allows you to see it from a different perspective.

And THAT, ladies and gentlemen, is how it's done in the land of Buffalo Bills Fandom. :lol:

The discussion is about a catch, and in that regard it doesn't matter if it was a good throw or a bad throw, the only thing that matters is the catch itself. Looking at the throw doesn't offer a different perspective of the catch, it's a different subject all together. If someone starts a thread about bad throws, jump right in. But entering a discussion about a great catch and focusing on the throw is just sour grapes.

The discussion is about a catch, and in that regard it doesn't matter if it was a good throw or a bad throw, the only thing that matters is the catch itself. Looking at the throw doesn't offer a different perspective of the catch, it's a different subject all together. If someone starts a thread about bad throws, jump right in. But entering a discussion about a great catch and focusing on the throw is just sour grapes.

Depends who is making the list I suppose. Is it the best individual show of athleticism or best play? Or more so, how you weight those two things against each other. If Aaron Rodgers throws a perfect back shoulder pass into double coverage and the receiver makes a slightly less impressive catch, where do you rank it against this? I'd call that a fair debate in ranking best plays

Yikes. I was just making an observation.

Man, this place is pretty cutthroat.

I'm going back to PPP, where posters are more cordial.

This is how it's done.....nice post SJBF.....snap out of it jaybee Stevie's a stud.

If you don't admire Stevie's footwork when it comes to short yardage routes....then your doing it wrong IMO....he kills most CB's with great moves (fitz has cost him 3 or so td's a year w crap accuracy)

Woods/Stevie/Spiller action all day soon.2014 has me pumped (it's aboooooot time)....no more bumbling gailey and the fitz-gun offense anymore

Stevie does some really nifty stuff , and is very smart with his very personal definitions of route running .

The catch that is the subject matter is pretty crazy good. Will it rank ? naw probably not . But it deserves some respect.

SJ has become our best WR and worked hard to get there considering the cast. Lets hope he gets the competition he deserves with TJ and the new kids . And any one of the QB's lining up today for Bills can chuck the ball deep . Should be a fun year for Steve Johnson and the fans watching him.

This is how it's done.....nice post SJBF.....snap out of it jaybee Stevie's a stud.

If you don't admire Stevie's footwork when it comes to short yardage routes....then your doing it wrong IMO....he kills most CB's with great moves (fitz has cost him 3 or so td's a year w crap accuracy)

Woods/Stevie/Spiller action all day soon.2014 has me pumped (it's aboooooot time)....no more bumbling gailey and the fitz-gun offense anymore

I really cant argue with any of this. That play though...that I posted. Man that one ruined me. I really wanted to see us beat a quality opponent that day and we almost did. I over-did it with that last post of mine. I like Stevie a lot. He's a good Bill. He adds personality to our offense. He's a good player.

With that playing being tops on Sportscenter that week I feel pretty good about its chances. Even if there were 6 plays better every single other week (96 plays) of the season (which of course there weren't) he would still make the list.

Edited by Kirby Jackson

• 3 weeks later...