Any Math Geniuses Out There?

BRAWNDO

Billionaire offers one million dollars to solve math problem.

http://gma.yahoo.com...-153508422.html

I think I read a few months ago that some mathematician published a proof of it. But so far no one's been able to verify it, because no one can understand what the !@#$ he's talking about. They don't disagree with it - they just can't figure out why the proof should work.

Note that "proof" at this level is going to mean about a hundred pages (or more) of excruciatingly formal logic, involving number theory, manifold theory, set theory, and a whole bunch of other extremely arcane and abstract bull ****.

I think I read a few months ago that some mathematician published a proof of it. But so far no one's been able to verify it, because no one can understand what the !@#$ he's talking about. They don't disagree with it - they just can't figure out why the proof should work.

Note that "proof" at this level is going to mean about a hundred pages (or more) of excruciatingly formal logic, involving number theory, manifold theory, set theory, and a whole bunch of other extremely arcane and abstract bull ****.

Those math papers are thrilling. There aren't many places you can publish something without actually writing a single word other than the author list.

I submitted a proof to an unsolved problem to Scientific American Magazine in late 1960's when I used to read it every month. Very carefully wrote out the proof (no computers back then and limited access to typewriters) and mailed it in. I got a letter back from them thanking me for contribution with it stating my proof was shorter and much more elegant than solution provided by two professors but the rules state that they will publish the first received valid proof and thank you for your contribution. It was obvious from the wording they had no idea they were dealing with an eight year old child.

I submitted a proof to an unsolved problem to Scientific American Magazine in late 1960's when I used to read it every month. Very carefully wrote out the proof (no computers back then and limited access to typewriters) and mailed it in. I got a letter back from them thanking me for contribution with it stating my proof was shorter and much more elegant than solution provided by two professors but the rules state that they will publish the first received valid proof and thank you for your contribution. It was obvious from the wording they had no idea they were dealing with an eight year old child.

link for proof?

Snowflakes

2012 Defensive schemes for Bills' linebackers...as you see, they start out in different spots and all rush to the middle of the field.

Nicely done, fellas.

Honestly, when I saw this movie in eighth grade, it is was these cryptic symbols that made me say re:math, ah, !@#$ it.

As I started to read you post I was thinking "whoa, old fart." Then as I read your last sentence I realized I too was 8 years old in the late 60's. :cry: