NASCAR coming to Fort Erie?

At this point to get a Sprint Cup race, some other track will have to lose a race. And the grandstand seems small compared to the big tracks, only 65,000 seats to start. They could get a Nationwide race or truck race.

http://www.cdnmotors...y.com/index.php

That might be a positive today. These huge tracks can't come close to selling out anymore..........Bristol used to be such a hard ticket to get for the March race. You had to win a lottery and hope people died basically............Now they can't even sell out the much more popular August night race.

Supply and demand might be in favor for a 65K track.

There is much more to this track then just an oval track race course, theres an additional road course and motocross parts IIRC from the last time I had seen the designs.

Right now the only affiliation it has with nascar is that Jeff Gordon and his company are a part of it and its design. The hope is that once built it will get a Nascar race. Nascar fans always seem to travel well to races, and since I believe this would hold the only Nascar event in Canada, it will provide Canadian fans a chance to see races without having to cross the border.

The location of the track will only be less then 5 minutes from the end of the Peace Bridge, and not long of a drive down the QEW from Niagara falls and their boarder crossing. Throw in the new Outlet Mall thats going to include a large Bass Pro about 25 minutes down teh QEW from the site in Niagara On The Lake, along with Niagara Falls being close by and this can make for alot more to do if your coming down then just seeing a car race

do they even have motorized cars up in canada yet?

There is much more to this track then just an oval track race course, theres an additional road course and motocross parts IIRC from the last time I had seen the designs.

Right now the only affiliation it has with nascar is that Jeff Gordon and his company are a part of it and its design. The hope is that once built it will get a Nascar race. Nascar fans always seem to travel well to races, and since I believe this would hold the only Nascar event in Canada, it will provide Canadian fans a chance to see races without having to cross the border.

The location of the track will only be less then 5 minutes from the end of the Peace Bridge, and not long of a drive down the QEW from Niagara falls and their boarder crossing. Throw in the new Outlet Mall thats going to include a large Bass Pro about 25 minutes down teh QEW from the site in Niagara On The Lake, along with Niagara Falls being close by and this can make for alot more to do if your coming down then just seeing a car race

The problem is not with the tracks, it is with the track ownership. The big group (cannot remember off the top of my head) that owns the majority of tracks has a monopoly. They are the ones that closed the other tracks to get a large audience across the nation. Of course, Bill France and crew, and everyone in NASCAR is crocked as a politician, and they closed tracks like North Wilkesboro. They bought the track from someone else, then closed it ASAP. This caused racing fans who want to see a race have to choose between nearby Bristol and Charlotte Motor Speedway. They they moved the race to a track they owned somewhere else - Texas or Cali or somewhere? It's been the standard practice for a while. Closing Loudon, NW, Rockingham, etc.

Loudon hasn't been closed. They still hold two races a year there. I know what ownership group you're talking about, but it's mainly Humpy Wheeler. I would love to see tracks like North Wilksboro make a comeback. And I wish they would stop screwing with Bristol. I like the single lane short track racing where to pass someone they had to do the bump and run. It's all about getting fans to the races but the only problem is that it's way too expensive to go to a race anymore. The stands are mostly empty now. It's a shame. NASCAR is a great event.

In the 17-page document released shortly after 11 a.m. Thursday, the OMB decision states the environmental group Preservation of Agricultural Lands Society "has not made out a convincing and compelling case — or, indeed, any case — that (OMB vice-chair Susan de Avellar) Schiller violated the rules of natural justice and procedural fairness

WTF is that?

In the 17-page document released shortly after 11 a.m. Thursday, the OMB decision states the environmental group Preservation of Agricultural Lands Society "has not made out a convincing and compelling case — or, indeed, any case — that (OMB vice-chair Susan de Avellar) Schiller violated the rules of natural justice and procedural fairness

WTF is that?

Must have found the pics of Susan and the horse!

Hmmm.

Sounds like a good design with multiple tracks allowing them to host multiple events and secure multiple revenue streams.

Jeff Gordon's involvement certainly has to be seen as a plus to any fledgling motorsports organization. It gives them instant credibility.

I remember a proposal to build a NASCAR-capable track near the Niagara Falls Air Force base not too many years ago.

The Sprint Cup runs at Watkins Glen in mid-August. Wouldn't be too much of a stretch to someday add the Fort Erie date within one week of Watkins Glen.

I've seen dirt races at Humberstone in Fort Colborne so I know there are lots of motorsports fans in Southern Ontario.

Hmmm.

Sounds like a good design with multiple tracks allowing them to host multiple events and secure multiple revenue streams.

Jeff Gordon's involvement certainly has to be seen as a plus to any fledgling motorsports organization. It gives them instant credibility.

I remember a proposal to build a NASCAR-capable track near the Niagara Falls Air Force base not too many years ago.

The Sprint Cup runs at Watkins Glen in mid-August. Wouldn't be too much of a stretch to someday add the Fort Erie date within one week of Watkins Glen.

I've seen dirt races at Humberstone in Fort Colborne so I know there are lots of motorsports fans in Southern Ontario.

There is Humberstone in Port Colborne, Merrittville Speedway seems the more popular/bigger races on Saturdays in the Summer in Thorold too, Then theres also one in Cayuga. Lots of race fans in Southern Ontario.

Theres still a few smaller hurdles to get through, but its becoming much more likely that this is definitly going to happen now that the legal issues with the appeals to the OMB are over.