June 6 1944 Normandy Invasion

Soldiers, Sailors, and Airmen of the Allied Expeditionary Force! You are about to embark upon the Great Crusade toward which we have striven these many months.

Thank You boys.

Thank You Uncle Ray 4th Armored Cavalry

Sideshow. The total casualties of D-Day where the equivalent of one HOUR on the Russian front.

without that 'sideshow' could the Russians have prevailed?

and how can you diminish the Allies sacrifice on D-Day?

Sideshow. The total casualties of D-Day where the equivalent of one HOUR on the Russian front.

You have to factor in the relative value of human life.

Also, does the magnitude of loss on the Russian side in some way diminish the sacrifice made in Northern France?

Exactly...I spent a good part of a year in Ukraine during their rembrance of the "great patriotic war" Remember the invasion took place in June of 1944 and the European war ended in April of 1945. The Russians carried most of the water (and did most of the dying) in this process.

Can't diminish D-Day. The Russians however had already turned the tide of the war. Of course with D Day the Germans had to fight a war on 2 fronts, so that closed the war quicker. I understand like 22m Russians died in WW2, like 40-50% of all deaths

Stalin's work diminishes what happened at the Russian front. And that was against his own people!

Daniel Simpson Day, whereabouts unknown.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7R5A0pg4oN8

NSFW

Never seen that edition before. I love Bush giving the finger! Thanks for posting.

Actually the Russians might have prevailed, but certainly Western Europe would probably have ended up Communist, as well as significant countries such as Turkey and Greece. Further I don't think the Russians could have prevailed without very significant American economic and arms contributions. But as to D-Day, with our British and Canadian allies and the battle for Europe...we were a second front...DC Tom is right.

Can't diminish D-Day. The Russians however had already turned the tide of the war. Of course with D Day the Germans had to fight a war on 2 fronts, so that closed the war quicker. I understand like 22m Russians died in WW2, like 40-50% of all deaths

The Russian winter and Hitler's ego turned the tide of the war, you mean.

I find comparisons of the Russian front and D day ridiculous. Of course The Russians fought what choice did they have? The Germans where at the front door, pounding them with artillery and starving them to death. The Americans at D day where secure in the US, yet they chose to fight a enemy that meant nothing to them.

I find comparisons of the Russian front and D day ridiculous. Of course The Russians fought what choice did they have? The Germans where at the front door, pounding them with artillery and starving them to death. The Americans at D day where secure in the US, yet they chose to fight a enemy that meant nothing to them.

The Russians had an ally that the Germans were clearly not prepared for, Mother Nature.

The Germans were however, well prepared for the Normandy invasion and had been preparing for years for that invasion. Bunkers, beach obstacles and well positioned machine gun nests with artillery and mortars to back them up versus an amphibious assault in daylight hours. Not to mention the paratroopers being scattered all over the French countryside spelled disaster for the allies. But they pulled it out.

I find the comparisons ridiculous because the Russians destroyed 70% of the German\ military over four years, while the Western Allies came in at the end and claimed victory.