Why are Lawson and Branch missing?

We really need someone to start a photoshop meme of Branch and Lawson on a rollercoaster, Branch and Lawson whitewater rafting, Branch and Lawson at the Eiffel Tower, Branch and Lawson drinking from coconuts on the beach, etc.

:thumbsup:

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So it's the word "voluntary" that you're struggling with right? It has to be. Nobody is under any contractual obligation to be there. If Lawson wants to spend this time with his newborn, good for him. He'll be here for mandatory minicamp, training camp, preseason, etc. He'll have plenty of time to catch up, and I'm sure these guys who haven't been here have been at least in the playbook. Stop comparing this to the real world.

Or will they .....

Again, for those of you accusing Lawson and Branch of skipping out on voluntary workouts:

http://www.buffalone.../130529830/1003

The one line from the article: “They have things going on personally, and good situations for them, where they have to be supportive of their families,” coach Doug Marrone said this week. “Again it is a situation where these workouts are voluntary.”

The one line from the article: “They have things going on personally, and good situations for them, where they have to be supportive of their families,” coach Doug Marrone said this week. “Again it is a situation where these workouts are voluntary.”

Yes but that article is from May 21st. I don't know if Marrone would be saying the same thing today, after they missed all three sessions of OTA's.

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah, nobody else in this world has to work for 6 weeks after they have a baby. Oh wait....

So if you recently had a baby and going to work was not mandatory.. I assume you'd be there? Gimme a break..

having children is womans work. Its what they do . geesh. they all get together and have parties and then tell stories.

Same thing as men getting together and drinking beer.

Thes two are kitties. sensitive kitties . I would tell them both in person , but i am busy that weekend.

congrats you two sensitive sissie Dads !

The horror. Shameful.

I hope they cut one and leave the other as a reminder of what could happen.

Thats the attitude !

we need more men like you here N S.

Darn kids and their Moms getting in the way of our playoff run . the nerve .

aw shucks..

On a side note i am interested to find out if Branch lines up over the center at all and plays space eater for a play or two. i think he has the best potential because of size and weight imo and exp over Troupe. He said he played the 3-4 nose previously( no link )back he first signed on . M Lawson hopes to do well with an expanded role in Buffalo , seems like a lot of potential for him and Pettine. looking forward

Edited by 3rdand12

Outside linebacker Manny Lawson, the Buffalo Bills' first free-agent signing, was on the second-team defense today. He missed 10 voluntary workouts and must climb the depth chart.

Free-agent defensive tackle Alan Branch also missed voluntary workouts. He was on the third unit today.

"It's definitely not a position I want to be in," Lawson said after the opening of mandatory minicamp. "Anybody that's competitive, you don't want to be on the second team. You want to be a starter. That's what I'm going to strive for, getting that starting position back."

What you should know about Lawson and Branch's absences is that they came with coach Doug Marrone's blessing. Lawson and Branch were with their wives, who delivered babies.

Lawson's son was his first child. Branch's daughter was his second.

It's interesting.

On one hand, their absences came with "Marrone's blessings" and certainly the birth of a child is a pretty legit reason for skipping workouts.

On the other hand, they've been (at least ceremonially) buried on the depth chart and will have to fight their way back up again.

I wonder how much if any, these scenarios were discussed at the time of their signings?

Outside linebacker Manny Lawson, the Buffalo Bills' first free-agent signing, was on the second-team defense today. He missed 10 voluntary workouts and must climb the depth chart.

Free-agent defensive tackle Alan Branch also missed voluntary workouts. He was on the third unit today.

"It's definitely not a position I want to be in," Lawson said after the opening of mandatory minicamp. "Anybody that's competitive, you don't want to be on the second team. You want to be a starter. That's what I'm going to strive for, getting that starting position back."

What you should know about Lawson and Branch's absences is that they came with coach Doug Marrone's blessing. Lawson and Branch were with their wives, who delivered babies.

It's interesting.

On one hand, their absences came with "Marrone's blessings" and certainly the birth of a child is a pretty legit reason for skipping workouts.

On the other hand, they've been (at least ceremonially) buried on the depth chart and will have to fight their way back up again.

I wonder how much if any, these scenarios were discussed at the time of their signings?

Nice touch by Marrone. You never want to diminish the work of the guys who were there sweating by letting two no-shows just waltz in and line-up with the starters. Yeah, it's only volunteer workouts, but it's nice to reward guys for putting the work in, regardless. And that's how I see it; a tip of the hat to the guys who showed up. And it's nice that Lawson and Branch know the meaning of the word "mandatory" as well.

GO BILLS!!!

It's interesting.

In theory he can't punish them for missing, but in theory, learning a new system it makes sense to give them a couple days to acclimate. I'd guess both were atleast touched upon when they visited before signing.

Edited by NoSaint

Branch is nowhere near playing shape, not even sure about practice shape. In the brief clip of day 1 he did not look like he was moving well. Plenty of time for him to get into shape.

I'm all for Marrone letting them take care of their family obligations and I'm all for them having to earn their spots in the rotation. There is no way that they have as good of a grasp of the defense as those who were at all OTA's. You do a disservice if you just plug them in there.

Going off topic...this brings up some interesting scenarios assuming that Byrd is signed at some point. Is he immediately plugged into the starting line-up? I think not.

Branch is nowhere near playing shape, not even sure about practice shape. In the brief clip of day 1 he did not look like he was moving well. Plenty of time for him to get into shape.

I'm all for Marrone letting them take care of their family obligations and I'm all for them having to earn their spots in the rotation. There is no way that they have as good of a grasp of the defense as those who were at all OTA's. You do a disservice if you just plug them in there.

Going off topic...this brings up some interesting scenarios assuming that Byrd is signed at some point. Is he immediately plugged into the starting line-up? I think not.

Right on all counts there o' sphere o' beer!

I caught that clip too, and his saying, (from the transcript on bb.c) was a flag:

“This tempo is something,” said Alan Branch following practice. “I don’t think no matter how hard I trained at home, there was no way I was going to be ready for what we just did and only thing you can do is go out there and practice and get yourself into the shape and get used to the tempo that they have on offense.”

Translation - he's way behind and unfit (literally) to be with the 2s. That said, he does have time to get into shape, but he's behind the 8 ball right now. Time to get to work and do the work.

Yeah, nobody else in this world has to work for 6 weeks after they have a baby. Oh wait....

Yeah, most peopl DON'T, actually have to work out of state, for a new organization with a 6 week old baby who haven't had the chance to move to the area and settle in with a newborn...You are correct.

No shows so far.

No big deal, heck SJ doesn't even work out in the offseason, he's done alright.

Technically they only missed voluntary OTA's, so Marrone didn't "let" them do anything, he didn't have a choice in the matter.

Of course since they are new guys, they may very well be considered behind and down on the depth chart when they do show up.

Edited by Turbosrrgood

Just a hunch, but these excused absences from voluntary workouts may well find them unemployed by final cut down. New team with a new coaching staff? They'd have to be exceptional players to overcome their voluntary absence. I don't think they are..

Just a hunch..

Technically they only missed voluntary OTA's, so Marrone didn't "let" them do anything, he didn't have a choice in the matter.

Of course since they are new guys, they may very well be considered behind and down on the depth chart when they do show up.

Does it make you feel better if I say that they did it with Marrone's blessing?