Tube Travel

BRAWNDO

It will never replace jet travel. Look at a flight map of all the planes in the air sometime. The earth would need to be covered with tubes.

More options for graffiti and infrastructure decay. Not to mention as you are zipping along in one of these things what if there is catastrophic destruction of some part of the tube? Say a good twister blows it apart.... What happens to your speeding little pod then?

This has no chance of happening. The amount of money it would take to just have a tube from NY to LA would be astronomical.

There is a freeway from NYC to LA... They claim that it costs 1/4 of what a freeway costs... And 1/10 of what high speed rail.

A two tube system with active switching would equal a 32 lane freeway.

It will never replace jet travel. Look at a flight map of all the planes in the air sometime. The earth would need to be covered with tubes.

2 tubes = 32 lanes of freeway... What about underground/underwater? Of course more money...

More options for graffiti and infrastructure decay. Not to mention as you are zipping along in one of these things what if there is catastrophic destruction of some part of the tube? Say a good twister blows it apart.... What happens to your speeding little pod then?

Computers in some far off (and safer locale) will advert it?

INJURED??? Call 1-888-BAD-TUBE

I was thinking that... But really... I bet it can be really safe and secure than say rail or plane! Computers would do everything! We thought that way about cars years ago and breakdowns, repairs, tune ups... Look how far they go now without even touching anything. I would think this would be very safe travel even know it looks very vulnerable...

2 tubes = 32 lanes of freeway... What about underground/underwater? Of course more money...

32 lanes all going to and from point A to point B. If I fly from SF to Buff I usually take a plane that stops in Chicago, Detroit, Las Vegas etc and then take a plane from there to Buff. There are no non-stop flights from the west coast to Buffalo. So let's say every trip from the west coast to Buffalo goes to Chicago first. So there is one tube from Chicago to Buffalo. Great, but how many tubes go to Chicago. Well count all the airports west of the Mississippi and there would be at least that many tubes going into Chicago. What an ugly mess that would be.

There is a freeway from NYC to LA... They claim that it costs 1/4 of what a freeway costs... And 1/10 of what high speed rail.

The "freewa from NYC to LA" was built earlier in the 20th century. They say that if America's highways were being built today, they'd never have been finished because of costs.

32 lanes all going to and from point A to point B. If I fly from SF to Buff I usually take a plane that stops in Chicago, Detroit, Las Vegas etc and then take a plane from there to Buff. There are no non-stop flights from the west coast to Buffalo. So let's say every trip from the west coast to Buffalo goes to Chicago first. So there is one tube from Chicago to Buffalo. Great, but how many tubes go to Chicago. Well count all the airports west of the Mississippi and there would be at least that many tubes going into Chicago. What an ugly mess that would be.

Get the tubes to follow existing freeways. I am not really pro or con... But it has to be better than rail? Heck, it is the same principle... Instead of laying track, they laying tubes.