soccer - USMNT update

Another round of games coming up. First a couple of warm-up friendlies...

vs. Belgium Wed. 5/29 at 8pm ET (live on ESPN)

vs. Germany Sun. 6/2 at 2:30 pm ET (live on ESPN2)

Belgium is actually the more interesting game. They are very much on the rise and are expected to have their full A-squad for this one. Germany will be without a bunch of their stars. Both will be a good test for the USA though.

Then three more Wold Cup Quallifiers...

6/7 at Jamaica

6/11 vs. Panama

6/18 vs. Honduras

These are all crucial games. USA enters a somewhat easier phase of their hexagonal qualifying. Gotta win at least two of these, right?

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We're starting to get to the point where Klinsmann's cultural shock should be past the adjustment phase and starting to enter the "taking hold" phase. Hopefully anyone who felt the need to whine like a little 6 y.o. French girl has gotten it out of their system and has put their big girl panties on. Not worried at all about Donovan not being around...we'll play better TEAM futbal without him, IMO.

Time for this team to start reaping what Klinsi's been sowing!

We're starting to get to the point where Klinsmann's cultural shock should be past the adjustment phase and starting to enter the "taking hold" phase. Hopefully anyone who felt the need to whine like a little 6 y.o. French girl has gotten it out of their system and has put their big girl panties on. Not worried at all about Donovan not being around...we'll play better TEAM futbal without him, IMO.

Time for this team to start reaping what Klinsi's been sowing!

Happy birthday you crazy kraut!

Ha! I clicked in here to write:

Dont mean to hijack the thread but HAPPY BIRTHDAY AJ!

But I see you guys beat me to it. And frankly, I think more people in the US care about AJ's birthday than soccer anyways :thumbsup:

:lol: Thanks Dr.D!!

4-2 Belgium.

USA looked in over their heads. Belgium is a top team and they looked sharp. Clarence Goodson looked like a buffoon in central defense. Omar Gonzalez turned in a crap performance too--he should know better. When Demarcus Beasley is a bright spot for your team, you got problems. I though Jermaine Jones was solid over all, but he had a very bad tackle late that got him a yellow card. Jozy Altidore was lazy and uninterested. He left after half time and was not seen on the sideline. Speculation that maybe there's an injury situation there. Brad Davis...blah. Graham Zusi...blah. Compared to the polished Belgium side, the US looked like high school kids struggling with bad touches, terrible passes, overall weak skill.

About the only positive: Stuart Holden subbed in late and looked energetic and competent. Man, if this guy could return to his old form...he could really make this a better team. And the sooner Donovan is back in the mix, the better. I'm tired of this debate. Nobody else is bringing any quality forward motion from the wings of from anywhere in the midfield.

Also: Besler was a second half sub and looked ok. I don't know why he didn't start. I think the pairing of Gonzalez and Besler in central defense should get as much time together as possible. This seems to be the future.

I'm trying to be patient and reserve judgement for the games that really matter and when the US squad is complete, but goddamm, this team doesn't seem to want to make that step from above average CONCACAF nation to a true contender. It's frustrating.

Interesting showing yesterday. USA 4, Germany 3.

The attacking flow was much much better. A great goal from Altidore and two great ones from Dempsey. Germany had an own goal that was a slapstick masterpiece which ended being the difference in this weird, wide open game.

The attacking play was very good, but still a mess of defending. Germany had some really inept finishing—otherwise it could have been a 5 or 6 goal disaster. I guess I’ll reserve judgement for the games that count and grant the last shreds of the benefit of the doubt to Klinsmann for now.

We’ll see how they look Friday in Jamaica. Three points in this one will put everying in a favorable light.

Big win for team USA! Altidore with 2nd goal in two matches, but looks like he'll be out for at least the next one due to a hammy. Nice win for the good guys!

What I can't figure out is how we're winning games without Prima Donovan? 0:)

It would be nice if Donovan were available for tomorrow night vs. Panama. USA is dangerously thin at the wings. Graham Zusi has been doing well on the right, but he's suspended for this one. Brek Shea would be nice, but he's out of the squad for an injury. The options at this point are Eddie Johnson, Fabian Johnson, Demarcus Beasley, Sasha Klejstan, Brad Davis, Joe Corona. These guys don't inspire a ton of confidence. My guess is that Klinsmann will bring Demarcus Beasley up from left back into a more attacking left wing position, with F. Johnson taking that spot on the back line. On the right wing, probably Joe Corona will get a chance.

By the way, Altidore is not hurt. He is expected to play tomorrow night.

It would be nice if Donovan were available for tomorrow night vs. Panama. USA is dangerously thin at the wings. Graham Zusi has been doing well on the right, but he's suspended for this one. Brek Shea would be nice, but he's out of the squad for an injury. The options at this point are Eddie Johnson, Fabian Johnson, Demarcus Beasley, Sasha Klejstan, Brad Davis, Joe Corona. These guys don't inspire a ton of confidence. My guess is that Klinsmann will bring Demarcus Beasley up from left back into a more attacking left wing position, with F. Johnson taking that spot on the back line. On the right wing, probably Joe Corona will get a chance.

By the way, Altidore is not hurt. He is expected to play tomorrow night.

Oh good, that's great news about Jozy...I think he's taking his game to another level here as of late. I hope he continues with his growth. He has a high ceiling.

Oh good, that's great news about Jozy...I think he's taking his game to another level here as of late. I hope he continues with his growth. He has a high ceiling.

Jozy has been very good lately. Tomorrow will be a good test for him too, because Panama on the road will be looking to crowd their own 18 and bunker in for a draw.

Jermaine Jones has a concussion and is out. He has been really great in central midfield the last couple games. His pairing with Bradley is about the only consistent thing going for this team. His replacement will probably be Geoff Cameron moving up from his regular back line position. I guess he did well there late in Jamaica the other night although I didn't get to see it (damn you to hell BeIn Sports for hijacking the TV rights!). It's also possible that Stuart Holden could get that spot next to Bradley. If it is Holden, I think USMNT fans will have a collective orgasm in their pants.

Cameron playing really well...USA up 2-0!

Let's go boys!!!

Fans singing "we are going to Braziillllllll...."

Edited by ajzepp

Excellent game. Best I've seen them play as a unit in a while. I can't name a single player that did not have a good game. Cameron had some boneheaded passes to nobody going forward, especially in the first half, but he handled his number one responsibility perfectly and that was to work with Bradley to control the middle of the field. That was the key to the game. Bradley was dominant.

Men of the match: Bradley, Altidore, Besler.

Honorable mention: Eddie Johnson, Geoff Cameron (both surprised me with their quality)

Panama looked clumsy and lost, so I think that helped the USA look so good. Nevertheless, Klinsy's choices have paid off and we're back in good position in the Hex. Next up: Honduras in Utah on June 18.

Fans singing "we are going to Braziillllllll...."

The crowd was really great. Michael Bradley called it the best atmosphere for a USMNT game that he's ever experienced. Taylor Twellman said on the broadcast that it raised the hairs on the back of his neck. They had strong chants going all throughout. Pretty gool. The players definitely appreciated it. Big props to Seattle.