June 1st cap space

Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't the Bills gain an additional $7 million dollars in cap space on June 1st, because we designated Fitzpatrick as a June 1st release?

If so, who will the Bills use that extra money on? I'm guessing Jairus Byrd and possibly another offensive lineman and possibly another linebacker, assuming some cap strapped teams release players at those positions for cap relief.

Thanks for bringing that up. The last I heard the Bills were approx. $13.5M under the cap, but still needed to account for their draft picks and Byrd (franchise tag). If you do the math, the draft picks will account for approx. $5M and Byrd about $6M. That means that they will have approx. $2.5M plus the $7M that you mentioned plus even more when final cuts are made and only the top 51 salaries count against the cap.

We haven't seen a lot of activity from the Bills as of late because I think they're waiting for June 1st to see what veteran players will be released around the league. The Bills could certainly use at least one vet CB, a TE, an ILB, and possibly an OG.

That would give us approx. $9.5M to spend from June 1st through the preseason to add veteran FA players.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't the Bills gain an additional $7 million dollars in cap space on June 1st, because we designated Fitzpatrick as a June 1st release?

If so, who will the Bills use that extra money on? I'm guessing Jairus Byrd and possibly another offensive lineman and possibly another linebacker, assuming some cap strapped teams release players at those positions for cap relief.

I'm thinking they already gained the salary cap space when they designated Fitz as a june 1st release. I don't think the actual date had to arrive to get that cap room.

This report is generated 4 times per day...

http://www.nflplayers.com/reports/RunPublicReport.aspx?report=top51

I'm thinking they already gained the salary cap space when they designated Fitz as a june 1st release. I don't think the actual date had to arrive to get that cap room.

That's what I thought too until I read on Rotoworld that the Falcons will gain extra cap space on June 1st for the release of Tyson Clabo.

Falcons waiting until June to sign Seymour?

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000206996/article/richard-seymour-atlanta-falcons-waiting-for-june-1?campaign=Twitter_atl

Edited by NoJustice

That's what I thought too until I read on Rotoworld that the Falcons will gain extra cap space on June 1st for the release of Tyson Clabo.

Falcons waiting until June to sign Seymour?

http://www.nfl.com/n...ign=Twitter_atl

Well, bookmark the link I posted. The NFLPA puts out the cap space for each team 4 times each day. We shall see if it goes up on June 1

Well, bookmark the link I posted. The NFLPA puts out the cap space for each team 4 times each day. We shall see if it goes up on June 1

I will check it out then. Hopefully we use that additional space (if available) to help fill out the roster. Like another poster said, we can use some help at OG, CB, ILB, and TE. If we can address those areas I believe we can make the playoffs this year.

I will check it out then. Hopefully we use that additional space (if available) to help fill out the roster. Like another poster said, we can use some help at OG, CB, ILB, and TE. If we can address those areas I believe we can make the playoffs this year.

From your link it does appear the cap space is created on June 1. That would be very good for the Bills

UPDATE: I stand corrected, with the new rules you dont get that space until June 1st when designating a player as a June 1st cut

they get the cap space immediately, designating a player as a June 1st cut just means they spread the cap hit over 2 years instead of just the current year

the Bills have plenty of cap room and can always gain more if needed but just because they have cap room doesnt mean they are going to use it either

Edited by Max997

That's what I thought too until I read on Rotoworld that the Falcons will gain extra cap space on June 1st for the release of Tyson Clabo. Falcons waiting until June to sign Seymour? http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000206996/article/richard-seymour-atlanta-falcons-waiting-for-june-1?campaign=Twitter_atl

You are correct. Here’s a few more links to help explain the rule and Fitz’s situation. We have not yet received any cap relief from cutting Fitz. As of today, his salary counts against the cap as if he were still on the team but that changes June1.

http://overthecap.com/explaining-the-june-1st-designation/

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/03/17/bills-use-post-june-1-designation-to-minimize-fitzpatrick-cap-hit/

“With the post-June 1 designation, $3 million will count against the cap in 2013 for Fitzpatrick, and $7 million will apply in 2014. By rule, the Bills will still carry Fitzpatrick’s $4.25 million base salary on the books until June 1, getting a cap bump in that amount thereafter.”

Forget Byrd and make sir you've got money in the next year for CJ. The kid is going to be MVP and demand a lot of money going forward.

I'm getting the feeling that Byrd does not want to be here. I'm inclined not to sign him at this point and save the money for Wood and CJ. Both want to be here. Hopefully one of the rookie safety's steps up and Byrd can fly away at the end of the season. He's great, don't get me wrong, but you can't break the bank for him with the other players that are coming up.

I'm guessing they address the areas you mentioned in that order. OG should be priority #1 due to possibly having a rookie QB, and keeping the great running game in-tact. CB is okay now, unless anyone gets injured. Need depth there. ILB perhaps is more of a need than CB, but it's close. I like the potential of the guys we have, but potential is unproven. Would be nice to land another guy like Lawson. TE, I could go either way. It would be nice to have another one, but with our WR's and RB, I think the guys we have are adequate. I'd focus on OG, CB, ILB, TE if possible. Also wouldn't rule out a DT for depth if we can find one very cheaply.

I'm getting the feeling that Byrd does not want to be here. I'm inclined not to sign him at this point and save the money for Wood and CJ. Both want to be here. Hopefully one of the rookie safety's steps up and Byrd can fly away at the end of the season. He's great, don't get me wrong, but you can't break the bank for him with the other players that are coming

Byrd won't be here this year. There will be a Peters type holdout and he will be traded for much less than he's worth. Will go on to being the BEST safety in the league and remind everyone of Ed Reed for the rest of his career. And this I'm ok with because we are going to need some serious money for CJ in a year. If they were smart, they'd negotiate with CJ now and hope to get a better rate before he becomes an elite star in this league.

I disagree regarding Byrd. I think the Bills will eventually sign him this year. It's a business from both ends. Byrd is just playing the game. He's a great player and the Bills simply cannot afford to let their young, stud players leave for other teams. We are a much better team with Byrd than without him. I really want to see what he can do in Pettine's scheme since he is always around the ball and more pressure on the opposing QB would most likely mean more "balls up for grabs".

I think that it's conceivable that the Bills are just being patient and waiting for the June 1st date to arrive to see where they stand with the salaray cap. If they do end up having as much as $9.5M to spend on FAs after June 1st then I do expect them to spend some of it to help fill some of their obvious holes.

No. 1 on the list would be CB for me. No. 2 would be OG.

They obviously think they need help at TE (not knowing how Chandler's knee will hold up) as well as knowing that they tried to sign vet TE F. Davis.

Lastly, they have Bradham/Alonzo/Moats/Br. Scott/C. White/Dowtin at ILB. Having Bradham and Alonso is exciting. I think both players have a high upside. I have high hopes for Moats, but I'm not sure he's ready to compete for a lot of playing time at ILB. I've always viewed him as more of a pass rusher. Scott is only in the mix because he can cover the big TEs. White probably won't make the team. Dowtin is an enigma at this point. Thus, obtaining a vet ILB might be a good idea.

I disagree regarding Byrd. I think the Bills will eventually sign him this year. It's a business from both ends. Byrd is just playing the game. He's a great player and the Bills simply cannot afford to let their young, stud players leave for other teams. We are a much better team with Byrd than without him. I really want to see what he can do in Pettine's scheme since he is always around the ball and more pressure on the opposing QB would most likely mean more "balls up for grabs".

I think that it's conceivable that the Bills are just being patient and waiting for the June 1st date to arrive to see where they stand with the salaray cap. If they do end up having as much as $9.5M to spend on FAs after June 1st then I do expect them to spend some of it to help fill some of their obvious holes.

No. 1 on the list would be CB for me. No. 2 would be OG.

They obviously think they need help at TE (not knowing how Chandler's knee will hold up) as well as knowing that they tried to sign vet TE F. Davis.

Lastly, they have Bradham/Alonzo/Moats/Br. Scott/C. White/Dowtin at ILB. Having Bradham and Alonso is exciting. I think both players have a high upside. I have high hopes for Moats, but I'm not sure he's ready to compete for a lot of playing time at ILB. I've always viewed him as more of a pass rusher. Scott is only in the mix because he can cover the big TEs. White probably won't make the team. Dowtin is an enigma at this point. Thus, obtaining a vet ILB might be a good idea.

I agree regarding Byrd. I don't think he doesn't want to be here. I think he wants to get paid, deservedly so, and will get paid.

I believe we need to add a Guard before any other position. I'm happy with Bradham and Alonso at ILB. I'm ok with Gilmore, McKelvin and Brooks as our top 3 CBs. I'm not happy in the least with our current LG. Brown, Young or any others....scare me in that spot. BIGtime. I'd prefer to kick Hairston, Pears or even Sanders in that spot and see what they can do, but then our depth is nil. We need to add a Guard IMO.