We Make Laws For You, Not For Us

I ran across this story by accident and even though it's 2 years old it boggles the mind. Don't know why there wasn't more clamor about it when it happened.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2011/jun/6/one-law-for-us-another-for-you/

The California state Senate voted 28-8 Wednesday to exempt itself from the pointless gun-control laws that apply to the rest of the populace. Legislators apparently think they alone are worthy to pack heat on the streets for personal protection, and the masses ought to wait until the police arrive.

This is just one of many bills Golden State politicians used this legislative session to set themselves apart from the little people, the ones who pay their inflated salaries. Annual compensation for legislators averages about $140,000, not counting luxurious perks such as taxpayer-funded cars and free gasoline. By comparison, the average Californian earns $50,000 a year, and the unemployment rate is 11.9 percent - far above the national average. Exact salaries for state assemblymen and senators are obscured by the use of a “per diem” payment scheme that shelters a significant chunk of income from taxation.

State legislators average $140K? If true wow, that is nuts.

Try this one on:

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-08-01/police-chief-s-204-000-pension-shows-how-cities-crashed.html

Stockton, California, Police Chief Tom Morris was supposed to bring stability to law enforcement when he was appointed to the job four years ago.

He lasted eight months and left the now-bankrupt city at age 52 with an annual pension that pays more than $204,000 -- the third of four chiefs who stayed in the position for less than three years and retired with an average of 92 percent of their final salaries.

Fairfield, Inglewood, Pomona and other municipalities including Compton are on a list of cities “on the precipice” compiled by Matt Fabian, a managing director for Concord, Massachusetts-based Municipal Market Advisors, who cited news reports in identifying them in a July 23 research note.

Fairfield’s White said the city isn’t approaching bankruptcy because it doesn’t have a lot of debt in its general fund. He said he expected pension costs to ease because benefits for new employees are less generous than before.

Six Figures

Across the state, former city managers and public-safety employees are collecting six-digit annual pensions for life at taxpayers’ expense as cities slash staff and basic services such as police and fire protection and library hours to keep up with the payments.

In San Bernardino, two former police chiefs are among those who receive six-figure pensions, according to Calpers. Keith Kilmer, who retired last year, gets a pension of $216,581, Calpers said. He now serves as interim chief of the Seal Beach, California, Police Department. Michael Billdt, his predecessor, who receives $205,014 annually, took a medical retirement in 2009 after two no-confidence votes by officers.

Billdt, who had no college degree, was accused of trying to induce an officer to withdraw a union grievance in exchange for the department dropping an internal-affairs investigation into his conduct. Billdt didn’t return a telephone call seeking comment, and Kilmer declined to comment.

Possible Bankruptcy

In Compton, where the treasurer raised the possibility of bankruptcy at a July 17 meeting, former city managers Barbara Kilroy and Charles Evans were fired by their city councils, records show. Kilroy, who worked in government for more than 34 years, is collecting an annual pension of $172,917, while Evans receives $136,712 after almost 22 years in the public sector, according to Calpers data.

Edited by 3rdnlng

I wonder what the poor people are doing tonight.

Blaming Republicans, what else? Plenty of geniuses on this board will tell you that's the answer to all ails.

Try this one on:

http://www.bloomberg...es-crashed.html

Stockton, California, Police Chief Tom Morris was supposed to bring stability to law enforcement when he was appointed to the job four years ago.

He lasted eight months and left the now-bankrupt city at age 52 with an annual pension that pays more than $204,000 -- the third of four chiefs who stayed in the position for less than three years and retired with an average of 92 percent of their final salaries.

Fairfield, Inglewood, Pomona and other municipalities including Compton are on a list of cities “on the precipice” compiled by Matt Fabian, a managing director for Concord, Massachusetts-based Municipal Market Advisors, who cited news reports in identifying them in a July 23 research note.

Fairfield’s White said the city isn’t approaching bankruptcy because it doesn’t have a lot of debt in its general fund. He said he expected pension costs to ease because benefits for new employees are less generous than before.

Six Figures

Across the state, former city managers and public-safety employees are collecting six-digit annual pensions for life at taxpayers’ expense as cities slash staff and basic services such as police and fire protection and library hours to keep up with the payments.

In San Bernardino, two former police chiefs are among those who receive six-figure pensions, according to Calpers. Keith Kilmer, who retired last year, gets a pension of $216,581, Calpers said. He now serves as interim chief of the Seal Beach, California, Police Department. Michael Billdt, his predecessor, who receives $205,014 annually, took a medical retirement in 2009 after two no-confidence votes by officers.

Billdt, who had no college degree, was accused of trying to induce an officer to withdraw a union grievance in exchange for the department dropping an internal-affairs investigation into his conduct. Billdt didn’t return a telephone call seeking comment, and Kilmer declined to comment.

Possible Bankruptcy

In Compton, where the treasurer raised the possibility of bankruptcy at a July 17 meeting, former city managers Barbara Kilroy and Charles Evans were fired by their city councils, records show. Kilroy, who worked in government for more than 34 years, is collecting an annual pension of $172,917, while Evans receives $136,712 after almost 22 years in the public sector, according to Calpers data.

Go Unions! :thumbsup:

We drink the blood of Christian babies on Saturday night. On Sunday nights we club illegal immigrants with dead baby seals.

I won't be able to make it next Sunday...we have truckload of school lunches for kids that we are burning in the village square.

Edited by BringBackFergy

I won't be able to make it next Sunday...we have truckload of school lunches for kids that we are burning in the village square.

Make sure you douse 'em with lots of crude oil, so they burn really thoroughly.

Make sure you douse 'em with lots of crude oil, so they burn really thoroughly.

All we could find was the two tanks of fuel oil at Whispering Pines Nursing Home...senior citizens don't need it, they wear 5 sweaters minimum and they can crochet a blanket in about 12 minutes.

Blaming Republicans, what else? Plenty of geniuses on this board will tell you that's the answer to all ails.

Go Unions! :thumbsup:

I know a woman who retired as the Santa Clara library with a $150k pension and full benes. :doh:

State legislators average $140K? If true wow, that is nuts.

I do not have a problem with paying people in position like this $140K or more. I do have a problem with the pensions that are typically provided at the state and federal level and more importantly, the performance of the people in these jobs. If they performed better, it would be worth paying them a bunch.

I do not have a problem with paying people in position like this $140K or more. I do have a problem with the pensions that are typically provided at the state and federal level and more importantly, the performance of the people in these jobs. If they performed better, it would be worth paying them a bunch.

You clearly have no close experience with State bureaucracy and the monkey army that does the work....

Edited by SameOldBills

Did you click on the thumbnail in my post #14 of this thread? $600,000 pension for a school administrator? It'll be 1.3 million per year when they figure he croaks.