over-rated and under-rated bands: one man's insober list

I think the epitome of a troll is someone who starts a thread and says this:

Let the stepping on toes begin

right, i'm the naive one in assuming what i say is right. i can at least make a case to justify my arguments. you make your case by simply being a contrarian.

i'm not in the position of making everyone happy here. you are making the case that you will do whatever it takes to disagree with me. that's essentially trolling.

jw

Edited by john wawrow

• Replies 502
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hahahahaha....good one....thanks for that reminder...i am grabbing OCMS, Decemberists, Gov't Mule and White Stripes for my google music library...i do love OCMS, Decemberists & Govt Mule, just never had their recordings. Gonna give White Stripes a chance

in my opinion, there's one exceptionally good Old Crow song: "James River Blues."

jw

hell, i'm starting to question whether Jim can cook at all at this point.

right, i'm the naive one in assuming what i say is right. i can at least make a case to justify my arguments. you make your case by simply being a contrarian.

i'm not in the position of making everyone happy here. you are making the case that you will do whatever it takes to disagree with me. that's essentially trolling.

jw

So I speak my true feelings about Rush and The Stones and you feel I did that for one reason only and the was to disagree with you? WTF dude. That's pretty freaky. :huh:

So I speak my true feelings about Rush and The Stones and you feel I did that for one reason only and the was to disagree with you? WTF dude. That's pretty freaky. :huh:

you have every right to speak your opinion. but pardon the rest of us for taking it with a full grain of salt, given that you've announced that your reason for posting in this thread is to specifically knock anyone regarded as a a rock and roll god. you've made your agenda quite clear, so now live with it.

jw

ADD: at this point, it's difficult to differentiate between you providing "your true opinion" and mere trolling.

Edited by john wawrow

hell, i'm starting to question whether Jim can cook at all at this point.

:lol:

you have every right to speak your opinion. but pardon the rest of us for taking it with a full grain of salt, given that you've announced that your reason for posting in this thread is to specifically knock anyone regarded as a a rock and roll god. you've made your agenda quite clear, so now live with it.

jw

Oh I get it. You're upset that I feel that there is nothing as a R&R God. Sorry to hurt your feelings. So let's get to something you really (or at least from what I've heard) know things about. What would you say if I thought that there is nothing as a sports God? :rolleyes:

:lol:

Oh I get it. You're upset that I feel that there is nothing as a R&R God. Sorry to hurt your feelings. So let's get to something you really (or at least from what I've heard) know things about. What would you say if I thought that there is nothing as a sports God? :rolleyes:

no, you've come out and stated:

And that has been my criteria in this thread. If you're treated as a R&R God you're going to get an overrated from me.

given this, your opinions cannot be taken seriously.

jw

ADD: you can continue digging as much as you like, but it's clear that you intend to be disagreeable in this thread. so there's no way i can tell when you are being serious or simply being a contrarian.

Edited by john wawrow

Listen man. I will be the first to admit this is one of the stupidest conversations here. I'm sorry I partook in it and may have been the one the instigated it. Carry on with the purpose of this this thread. It has it's merits. I will not post here again because anything I may say here will not be taken seriously.

Oh and BTW. The Stone suck donkey balls. :nana:

Oh and BTWII in case this above comment is taken seriously the Stones do not suck donkey balls or any balls or any object at all. That is all.......

Edited by Chef Jim

Listen man. I will be the first to admit this is one of the stupidest conversations here. I'm sorry I partook in it and may have been the one the instigated it. Carry on with the purpose of this this thread. It has it's merits. I will not post here again because anything I may say here will not be taken seriously.

Oh and BTW. The Stone suck donkey balls. :nana:

I was the first to say this, and I'll say it again, led zeppelin sucks.

i am not a led zepplin fan, never have been, but i'd never go so far as to say they suck...not in even to me...i just don't dig 'em

I never really got into Zep, it's just not my thing. I don't get all the love for them. Plants voice irritates the heck out of me. I just figured I'd troll to the max to back Chef up (even though I really did nothing to help his cause, and he didn't need my help to begin with).

hahahahaha....good one....thanks for that reminder...i am grabbing OCMS, Decemberists, Gov't Mule and White Stripes for my google music library...i do love OCMS, Decemberists & Govt Mule, just never had their recordings. Gonna give White Stripes a chance

Touché.

I think if you spin a few of their CDs next to a few Mumford you'll see what I'm saying. A lot more willing to both embrace the roots of the genres they play as well as at times really push the boundaries of their comfort zones. Mumford by contrast just seems packaged for easy consumption. Beyond the clothing choices, and using the now popular retro instruments, mumfords songs are structured in really basic predictable/repetitive fashions even across CDs.

One of my favorite comparisons that I've heard come out of conversation is that Mumford is a group of guys that will stand in the mirror for hours making sure they are just the right amount of messed up while old crow will show up unbathed and drinking moonshine.

On that note, ocms with Gillian welch just come on my rotation with the song wrecking ball - not changing the world with it but boy did they make most of that collaboration.

(Ps Dawes put on a very good show the other night, shovels and rope were great opening, and I am sure ill still have a good time at Mumford next week)

Edited by NoSaint

I don't recall if they've been mentioned, but U2 is (or was) about as overrated as a band has ever been. Not saying they suck, but they have 2 or 3 good songs and dozens of decent but forgettable songs, and for the better part of a decade they were considered one of (if not the) greatest rock bands in the world.

Their greatest achievement has been staying relevant for the last 25 years. And while there's something to be said for that, it's hard for me to justify their place in music history. They are to music what stat compilers are to sports. A guy who plays consistently for 15 years and never really dominates but has impressive career stats because he was ok for so long.

Plus they never had the impact or influence so many others have had. Say what you will about Nirvana, but they ushered in a new era of music. The Beatles took the world by storm. Zeppelin & The Stones were both iconic bands that largely defined the music of their time. U2 was just kind of there.

And their lead singer is the biggest dump ever taken.

I don't recall if they've been mentioned, but U2 is (or was) about as overrated as a band has ever been. Not saying they suck, but they have 2 or 3 good songs and dozens of decent but forgettable songs, and for the better part of a decade they were considered one of (if not the) greatest rock bands in the world.

Their greatest achievement has been staying relevant for the last 25 years. And while there's something to be said for that, it's hard for me to justify their place in music history. They are to music what stat compilers are to sports. A guy who plays consistently for 15 years and never really dominates but has impressive career stats because he was ok for so long.

Plus they never had the impact or influence so many others have had. Say what you will about Nirvana, but they ushered in a new era of music. The Beatles took the world by storm. Zeppelin & The Stones were both iconic bands that largely defined the music of their time. U2 was just kind of there.

And their lead singer is the biggest dump ever taken.

How to play a guitar solo like The Edge:

Play a fifth. Then a fifth. Then a fifth. Then a fourth. Then a fifth. Then a fourth. Then a fifth. Then a fourth. Repeat for four bars.

But he's "brilliant," because he's "minimalist." No, he's not. The Police were minimalist. He's just an introductory guitar lesson.

i am not a led zepplin fan, never have been, but i'd never go so far as to say they suck...not in even to me...i just don't dig 'em

I use these very words with my son all the time about "his" music. He's listening to alot of different stuff right now, trying to find out what he really likes I think. So if it's something I don't like that's what I say. I don't say "it sucks" or they have "no talent". I just say I prefer other things.

so, let me get this straight, you've essentially acknowledged that you're trolling this thread. ... thanks, then, for making that clear. that certainly explains the schizophrenic nature of your posts.

jw

I gotta say I agree with you here. Why would you come out and say you are calling every band that is treated like a God overrated?

I gotta say I agree with you here. Why would you come out and say you are calling every band that is treated like a God overrated?

I know I said I was done here but I also have to defend myself. Read what you just wrote. Slowly and especially the bolded part. Now it's your turn to explain why a bunch of guys and gals that are just playing music SHOULD be treated as Gods? For God's sake (pun unintended) the girls screamed so loudlu for the Beatles you couldn't hear the band. That's just a bit over the top don't you think? And here's the funniest part. Most all of the so called gritty down and dirty R&R musicians would cringe at their icon status and consider that reverence as overrated.

And finally my opinion is just that. And if having an opinion that is contrarian makes me a troll then there are a shitload of trolls on this board.

I know I said I was done here but I also have to defend myself. Read what you just wrote. Slowly and especially the bolded part. Now it's your turn to explain why a bunch of guys and gals that are just playing music SHOULD be treated as Gods? For God's sake (pun unintended) the girls screamed so loudlu for the Beatles you couldn't hear the band. That's just a bit over the top don't you think? And here's the funniest part. Most all of the so called gritty down and dirty R&R musicians would cringe at their icon status and consider that reverence as overrated.

And finally my opinion is just that. And if having an opinion that is contrarian makes me a troll then there are a shitload of trolls on this board.

FWIW I did a GvG on this and the big man agrees more with Jim than he does with Mr. Wawwrowrowwrow on this. And the big man tends to be a pretty big fan of music.

Sitting here waiting to get my haircut and the Cranberries came on the radio. Talk about over rated. Not around for very long and they were one of the most popular bands when I was in high school.