over-rated and under-rated bands: one man's insober list

• Replies 502
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Overrated: The Stones. Now this whole overrated thing is mainly bands you don't like and that's cool. I'm sitting here listening to Phil Lesh play Gimme Shelter and I love it. Hate Stones Version (can you have a version of your own song??). Mick? Really?? The chicken walk/dance??? You're going to be 70 next month.

geez, you've been trying to pick fights ever since i questioned Jethro Tull and, of course, by extension, had it in for you, Jim.

as part of my research, i went into it wondering, "geez, how do i get under Chef Jim's skin, because I really think he needs to be knocked down a few pegs." so, i called up a few people you knew, privately polled a bunch of people on the board, and voila, i came up with Jethro Tull.

"yep, that'll get him."

but, i figured, i won't put them at the top of my over-rated list, because then what would be the point. making them No. 1, would ruin the whole purpose of this thread, because after all, it's all about you Jim. and in order to get your attention right off the bat, i came up with the idea of putting Jethro Tull 10th on the over-rated list. that way, we can all put up with the whining right from the beginning.

yep, mission accomplished.

the stones over-rated. couldn't have timed it any better.

jw

Edited by john wawrow

geez, you've been trying to pick fights ever since i questioned Jethro Tull and, of course, by extension, had it in for you, Jim.

as part of my research, i went into it wondering, "geez, how do i get under Chef Jim's skin, because I really think he needs to be knocked down a few pegs." so, i called up a few people you knew, privately polled a bunch of people on the board, and voila, i came up with Jethro Tull.

"yep, that'll get him."

but, i figured, i won't put them at the top of my over-rated list, because then what would be the point. making them No. 1, would ruin the whole purpose of this thread, because after all, it's all about you Jim. and in order to get your attention right off the bat, i came up with the idea of putting Jethro Tull 10th on the over-rated list. that way, we can all put up with the whining right from the beginning.

yep, mission accomplished.

the stones over-rated. couldn't have timed it any better.

jw

So you think me putting The Stones as overrated has something to do with you? No, it has nothing to do with you Mr. Wawrow and everything to do with the fact I'm not crazy about them. Never have been. Gimme Shelter covered by Phil Lesh and friends just happened to come up on Pandora and I thought how much I liked it versus the Stones and thought I'd mention that. So make that post about you if you may, it just goes to show that this thread was started by you as a LAMP. I'm a music snob and you all know nothing about music. :lol:

Edited by Chef Jim

Bittersweet Symphony is by The Verve, they 'use' a hook from The Stones Last Time

"Gimme Shelter" is my favorite Stones tune (next to "Bittersweet Symphony"). I can't imagine someone doing it better. Have a link?

I would swap them, personally. Michael Jackson was genuinely gifted. Garth Brooks, not so much.

Yes he was but he stopped using his gifts to make music at an early age and instead turned into a paranoid nut-job for the last 30 years of his life.

Yes he was but he stopped using his gifts to make music at an early age and instead turned into a paranoid nut-job for the last 30 years of his life.

Off the Wall, Thriller and Bad were all great albums. Dangerous was pretty good, too. After that (1992-ish), he didn't do much that I can recall.

Finally, if you really want to understand the over-rated aspect ask 5 people under the age of 30 three questions:

1) Do you really like the Beatles (inevitably the answer is yes)

2) Why? (you'll get something close to "just because")

3) Tell me the titles of two of their best songs that never made it into the billboard charts (you'll get a blank stare)

The final point just exposes the fact that as time moves forward the Beatles popularity is more a function of historical momentum than a true appreciation for the work.

As I would expect. Ridiculous standard to dismiss opinions of anyone who doesn't have the weekly top 40 lists from half-century ago committed to memory.

Bittersweet Symphony is by The Verve, they 'use' a hook from The Stones Last Time

Thank you! I was waiting for someone to talk about the song. Actually the song uses a significant portion of Andrew Loog Oldham's orchestral version of "The Last Time." Hence The Stones sued and won, and the writing credits went to Jagger, Richards, and Richard Ashcroft (lead singer of "The Verve"), but all of the royalties from the song went to The Stones.

"Gimmie Shelter" by the Rolling Stones may be one of my favorite recordings ever.... :w00t:

I can say this about Gimmie Shelter. Having seen the Stones multiple times on the 50 and counting tour. The 5/25/13 TO show's version may be the best one I ever heard the band perform. Being there was surreal. The audience was stunned. Even Keef banged out the opening riff correctly, and with proper timing,cadence and effing soul. No small deal these days. Bravo! Lads.

There is no explanation, hence the crickets. Troll.

Sorry for not explaining soon enough to your standards. I work 7pm-7am and needed to go to sleep. There are two lead singers that have voices that are like nails on a chalkboard, Geddy Lee and Robert Plant.

Both bands have great musicians but I can't stand the lead singers voices.

Sorry for "trolling". I'm trying to find humor in a rather stressful time in my life right now. It'll never happen again.

"Gimmie Shelter" by the Rolling Stones may be one of my favorite recordings ever.... :w00t:

I love it too. When I was little, I misunderstood the lyrics. Instead of "it's just a shot away," I heard it as "it's just a shadow honey," like a parent consoling a child who was scared of a monster in his/her room.