With conclusion of OTAs, 53 man projections.

The Bills now have a lot of very young, talented players. It's interesting to make projections at this point and then look back at them just prior to the start of the season to see how things have changed, which players have risen to the top, and which have fallen.

With that, here is who I would project onto the Bills' 53 man roster from what I've seen and heard as of today (with NO FA vet additions):

Offense - 24

QB: Kolb/Manuel/T. Jackson.

RB: Spiller/F. Jackson/Choice/B. Smith (Smith makes the team because of his versatility and ST contributions; listed at RB because there are already 6 listed at WR).

TE: Chandler/L. Smith/Gragg.

WR: Johnson/Woods/D. Rogers/Graham/Goodwin/Kaufmann.

O-line: Glenn/Urbik/Wood/Young/Pears/Hairston/C. Brown/Sanders.

ST - 3

K/P/LS: Hopkins/Powell/Sanborn

Defense - 26

D-Line: Dareus/K. Williams/Branch/Carrington/Troup/Gilbert.

DE/OLB: Ma. Williams/Lawson/Anderson/Hughes/Pough.

ILB: Bradham/Alonso/Moats/Dowtin/Br. Scott.

CB: Gilmore/McKelvin/Brooks/Rogers/Butler.

SS: A. Williams/Searcy/D. Williams.

FS: Byrd/Meeks.

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Here is who I would project onto the Bills' 53 man roster from what I've seen and heard as of today (with FA vet additions):

Offense - 24

QB: Kolb/Manuel/T. Jackson.

RB: Spiller/F. Jackson/M. Owens/B. Smith (Owens gives us a big ball carrier for short yardage/goal line situations).

TE: Chandler/L. Smith/Gragg.

WR: Johnson/Woods/D. Rogers/Graham/Goodwin/Kaufmann.

O-line: Glenn/B. MooreUrbik/Wood/Young/Pears/Hairston/C. Brown (Moore gives us a vet OG who can nearly match Levitre's performance level).

ST - 3

K/P/LS: Hopkins/Powell/Sanborn

Defense - 26

D-Line: Dareus/K. Williams/Branch/Carrington/Troup/Gilbert.

DE/OLB: Ma. Williams/Lawson/Anderson/Hughes/Pough.

ILB: Bradham/Alonso/Moats/Dowtin/Br. Scott.

CB: Gilmore/Sh. Brown/McKelvin/Brooks/Butler (Sheldon Brown gives us another proven NFL CB).

SS: A. Williams/Searcy/D. Williams.

FS: Byrd/Meeks.

The projected vet FAs RB/FB M. Owens/OG B. Moore/CB Sh. Brown would replace RB T. Choice/OT/OG Z. Sanders/CB Rogers respectively.

Owens is particularly strong near the goal line and has the body type of a MJD. he's also a 2 time Pro Bowl ST player.

Moore is older at 33, but is still very good and he was molded by Marrone himself.

Sh. Brown is a solid all around vet CB who is better and more proven than McKelvin/Brooks/Rogers/Butler/Robey.

I'm more hoping they will at this point. They have interest in all three.

They have kicked the tires on Owens and really want him as much for his ST prowess as anything else.

I happened to follow Owens pretty closely last year because I was short on RBs in my FFL. When MJD and Jennings went down Owens got his chance to carry the ball and looked good. In fact, if I'm not mistaken, I think he scored two TDs vs Buffalo last year. The guy is a young, upcoming player who could really help us. I happen to think that we really need a big back to carry the ball in short yardage and goal line situations. Spiller and Jackson are not built for that. The image of Wilfork bouncing Spiller like a ping pong ball at the goal line last year is all the reason you need.

Moore is a very talented vet OG who could help us to comfortably forget Levitre. He wanted a lot of money (about $3M per season) earlier in the year, but if he's willing to come down on the price, which is bound to happen, i think there's a good chance that the Bills will pick him up because of Marrone's familiarity with him. Otherwise, we may be looking at the revolving door that is C. Brown/Young/Sanders/C. Scott/D. Snow at LG.

Sheldon Brown is the best vet FA CB on the market currently. He has good size and speed and more than held his own against the best WRs in the league when he played for Cleveland last year. Bringing him in would improve our depth at CB and allow McKelvin to contribute more on ST.

The staff has said they like our guys at both Guard and DB, so I doubt we sign anyone else. Owens I can see being signed to anchor the ST.

I think there is no way Brad Smith is kept as a RB. He will be cut IMO because we now have guys that can do what he does cheaper and younger with way more upside. Owens gets his spot. I also think Easley is the 6th WR and Kaufmann goes to PS for a season.

The staff has said they like our guys at both Guard and DB, so I doubt we sign anyone else. Owens I can see being signed to anchor the ST.

I think there is no way Brad Smith is kept as a RB. He will be cut IMO because we now have guys that can do what he does cheaper and younger with way more upside. Owens gets his spot. I also think Easley is the 6th WR and Kaufmann goes to PS for a season.

Think so too...

I happened to follow Owens pretty closely last year because I was short on RBs in my FFL. When MJD and Jennings went down Owens got his chance to carry the ball and looked good. In fact, if I'm not mistaken, I think he scored two TDs vs Buffalo last year. The guy is a young, upcoming player who could really help us. I happen to think that we really need a big back to carry the ball in short yardage and goal line situations. Spiller and Jackson are not built for that. The image of Wilfork bouncing Spiller like a ping pong ball at the goal line last year is all the reason you need.

7 carries, 29 yards, zero TDs vs Bills last year. He's also 29 years old.

i really can't venture too far into the final 53 at this time because there is a long, long way to go. the 53 that the op has seem to make pretty good sense right now, but who knows who will be added to the team after other teams' cuts and who will emerge seemingly out of nowhere? i am actually thinking that brad smith and marcus easley may be battling for the same roster spot. hope they make it interesting.