Smokers (BBQ)

Dr. Fong

FYI those thermometers can be calibrated so look at that before splurging on an expensive probe thermometer.

Agreed, but think the dual probe thing is awesome....obviously more for smoking than grilling. Has made a big difference in the quality of the meats smoke...best $59 I ever spent.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

smoking 2 whole chickens today. brined with paprika in the mixture. smells and looks irresistible....we'll see pretty soon.

btw, we subscribe to cook's illustrated which rates everything from cast iron frying pans to high tech thermometers. and they much like the ones mentioned in this thread. in retrospect, i've probably broken enough old fashioned meat thermometers in the last 5 years to nearly pay for a new fangled one. it's just the thought of the initial outlay that is almost as much as my smoker...

Have you cured lard?

I have pork belly curing now but not full lard (lardo). However the belly is very fatty and the fat just melts in your mouth. So it's on my list. I just need to find the pork fat. Used to get it all the time in the restaurant but used it for pate.

BTW wised up and wrapped the ribs in foil yesterday for the final hour of cooking on the grill. !@#$ing fabulous! Finishing them for dinner tonight.

Edited by Chef Jim

I have pork belly curing now but not full lard (lardo). However the belly is very fatty and the fat just melts in your mouth. So it's on my list. I just need to find the pork fat. Used to get it all the time in the restaurant but used it for pate.

BTW wised up and wrapped the ribs in foil yesterday for the final hour of cooking on the grill. !@#$ing fabulous! Finishing them for dinner tonight.

Did the same with my ribs today. Foiled them with a little mixture of Red's apple ale & cider vinegar. After the hour wrapped up, slathered a little BBQ sauce on half, left the rest dry and finished em off for 30 min or so. Turned out pretty good!

My smoker got a workout this weekend. 10 lb Boston butt, 4 lb beef brisket (first one needed to experiment before I go big), 3 huge racks of baby backs. Also did a bunch of burgers, dogs, and sausages on the Viking out by the pool at the in laws. Diet starts tomorrow....ha

Thanks for replying. I realize I was a bit vague in my question. I was particularly wondering if you'd cured any fatback, unrendered stuff. I hear it's quite a delicacy and I've always wanted to try some. Sounds like it's it'll happen very soon.

The Lunardi's guys here always save their pork bellies for me (frozen) but I've never tried it cured.

We were in Oakland today at my brother's and he smoked some pork ribs using a smoker he made from a terra cota pot with a heating element at the bottom, hickory chips in a foil boat on top of that, and the ribs on a grate above that. The top ("lid") is a terra cota planting dish with a small hole in it in which you stick a quick read thermometer. Quite the improvised rig but it worked really well. A bit of dry rub and a foil wrap to conserve the moisture. Fired it in the oven at the end to solidify the bark.

Great meal with some very nice red table wine from Niner in Paso Robles.

It's weird seeing the first few batches I made had no issues without the fan. I'll be making some in a couple of weeks and we'll see. I've got pork belly curing now.

Two possible causes:

1. Spores which build up over time

2. Humidity change

Fan may help both

Two possible causes:

1. Spores which build up over time

2. Humidity change

Fan may help both

Regarding point 1 I completely scrub the box with tons of bleach before I use it. Not sure that would completely eliminate mold spores bu that was my concern and it hasn't changed much. The fan is the next step.