Smokers (BBQ)

Dr. Fong

I have the "smoke vault" made by camp chef. I've had it for about a year and a half and I recommend it for a good all around, entry level smoker that won't break the bank too bad. I like the propane heating element, makes controlling the temperature a lot easier. Usually just set the temp to medium and let it go. Seems to stay fairly steady around 225. Usually have to replenish the wood chips/chunks every 1.5-2 hrs. Have done lots of ribs, pork shoulder, and believe it or not burgers. Haven't done a brisket yet but may this weekend. I love having it and experimenting with different dry rubs, types of wood, and sauces.

After i get a little more experience ill probably step up to the BGE or something a little more high end.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a Brinkman vertical gas smoker. It uses propane and is the easiest thing thing in the world to use (although I would imagine that theTraeger is pretty easy). It's also super easy to keep at 250 degrees.

Best of all it was only $150 at home depot. This will be my 4th summer with it.

I just smoked 8 lbs of baby back ribs this past weekend. Awesome. 4hrs of smoke and then 2 hrs wrapped in foil. Fall off the bone tender and GREAT as leftovers.

Have an electric one. Wasn't expensive but it's working we'll after several years. It's SLOW but that's the point I think. Bought the jack Daniels wood chips last time and made both beef brisket and pork butt, dry rub on both. Used cheap cuts for both and they came out really good. Biggest problem is pulling the pork (joke not intended).it'salot of work but chopping it just ain't the same. Only thing that's needed changing was the lava rock and that was a cheap fix.

Looked it up. Brinkmans, 80 bucks at Home Depot . Won't stay as shiny as its pictured for long but who cares?

Edited by birdog1960

It needs to pop up more often. Just sent my wife an email saying "we're smokin' this weekend baby!!!!" :thumbsup:

...so many angles to go with this post I do not even know where to spin. As if the allergies did not have my head going in circles enough...

1. First, why are you sending your wife an email to communicate?

2. Are you sure she will understand which method and item you are planning to smoke?

3. Still unsure why the email to wife?

4. How much can you actually get done in just 1 weekend of smoking without already curing it?

...so many angles to go with this post I do not even know where to spin. As if the allergies did not have my head going in circles enough...

1. First, why are you sending your wife an email to communicate?

2. Are you sure she will understand which method and item you are planning to smoke?

3. Still unsure why the email to wife?

4. How much can you actually get done in just 1 weekend of smoking without already curing it?

1. I work from 7:00am until 8:00pm on Wednesday so that's the only way we can talk today.

2. Up the meds :huh:

3. See 1.

4. On second thought lower the meds. :huh: :huh:

Have an electric one. Wasn't expensive but it's working we'll after several years. It's SLOW but that's the point I think. Bought the jack Daniels wood chips last time and made both beef brisket and pork butt, dry rub on both. Used cheap cuts for both and they came out really good. Biggest problem is pulling the pork (joke not intended).it'salot of work but chopping it just ain't the same. Only thing that's needed changing was the lava rock and that was a cheap fix.

Looked it up. Brinkmans, 80 bucks at Home Depot . Won't stay as shiny as its pictured for long but who cares?

To what temp are you cooking your pork butt? Anything below 190 internal typically makes pulling a chore. Get it up to 195 or 200 and you can just push down with your palm and it will almost shred itself. Use a probe thermometer to removed the guess work. Letting the meat rest for a while helps too and you don't burn the hell out of your hands...as much.

For pork shoulder and brisket, I usually smoke for about 5 hours, insert the probe thermometer to ring when it hits 195, then wrap the cut in foil and place it in the oven to finish off. The meat will really only absorb smoke to about 140 degrees internal, so you don't lose anything by transferring to the oven. Foiling really speeds up the process, otherwise your butt will plateau around 165 for 90 minutes and make you think your probe is broken or you've lost your mind. Only downside to foiling is that your bark isn't as crispy. But peeling the foil back and exposing to 15 minutes or so of dry heat will remedy that issue.

To what temp are you cooking your pork butt? Anything below 190 internal typically makes pulling a chore. Get it up to 195 or 200 and you can just push down with your palm and it will almost shred itself. Use a probe thermometer to removed the guess work. Letting the meat rest for a while helps too and you don't burn the hell out of your hands...as much.

For pork shoulder and brisket, I usually smoke for about 5 hours, insert the probe thermometer to ring when it hits 195, then wrap the cut in foil and place it in the oven to finish off. The meat will really only absorb smoke to about 140 degrees internal, so you don't lose anything by transferring to the oven. Foiling really speeds up the process, otherwise your butt will plateau around 165 for 90 minutes and make you think your probe is broken or you've lost your mind. Only downside to foiling is that your bark isn't as crispy. But peeling the foil back and exposing to 15 minutes or so of dry heat will remedy that issue.

thanks for the advice. i do use a meat thermometer but i think i only got it to 185. i'll try the foil in oven thing. pushing with the palms and the meat falling apart sounds alot better than wht i did last time.

Edited by birdog1960

thanks for the advice. i do use a meat thermometer but i think i only got it to 185. i'll try the foil in oven thing. pushing with the palms and the meat falling apart sounds alot better than wht i did last time.

Its pretty remarkable what a few more degrees will do. Theres one tough and dry muscle near the blade bone which will always be a chore to pull, but the rest should just fall apart if you and your guests have the patience to wait for 195 internal and give it a while to rest.

Its pretty remarkable what a few more degrees will do. Theres one tough and dry muscle near the blade bone which will always be a chore to pull, but the rest should just fall apart if you and your guests have the patience to wait for 195 internal and give it a while to rest.

additionally its amazing how precise a process that most chalk up as just a bunch of guys around a fire getting drunk really can be.

additionally its amazing how precise a process that most chalk up as just a bunch of guys around a fire getting drunk really can be.

Indeed. It's definitely an artform, in my opinion.

BTW, whatever smoker you go with , you need this

http://www.amazon.com/Maverick-Wireless-BBQ-Thermometer-Set/dp/B004IMA718

Almost 100 % of the thermometers in grills and smokers are for chit. The one in my egg was off almost 60 degrees. First 3 months I kept over cooking stuff, till I got that maverick

This is great as you set ranges for grill temp, as well as continually taking the meat temp at same time.

As they say, "if you are looking, you ain't cooking.

My first smoker was an Electric rig, and it did fine. Was easy as pie as just soak a chunk of wood for a hour or two, place it up agaisnt the element,and away you go.Plus you would not have to worry about tank running out

http://www.homedepot...de=cii_45538312

Have an Egg now, , and love it

Had to give up my BGE when we moved to Chicago (high rise condo). I've been crying ever since. It was an awesome device.

I'm going to check that out on the Interwebs, Jauronimo, but please summarize what Modernist Cuisine at Home in your own words and why you personally recommend it.

Speaking of, I've been playing around with Modernist Cuisine at Home, very cool book. Modernist mac and cheese is a mainstay at my BBQs and now I can't imagine not owning a pressure cooker.

Well I was referring more to the chemistry between the guys sitting around watching the smoke and drinking. But I get your point too. :D

I'm going to check that out on the Interwebs, Jauronimo, but please summarize what Modernist Cuisine at Home in your own words and why you personally recommend it.

Its a more accessible version of the Modernist Series which is basically an all encompassing scientific review of cooking methods, equipment, and ingredients. Modernist at Home is really good at breaking down why you do what you do so you're not chained to recipes. It does provide some nice base recipes and frameworks from which you can add your own spin.

I'm not sure you really need to own it, as much of it is dedicated to sous vide cooking, but if you can I'd suggest sitting down and reading it at a book store and taking a few phone pics of recipes. It got the ball rolling for me in terms of the possibilities of pressure cooking, ghetto sous vide rigs, and cooking with substances you normally wouldn't see outside of a highschool chem lab, but I don't reference it that often. Plenty of sites on the web explain the same concepts for free now that I know what I'm looking for.

http://modernistcuisine.com/cooks/forum/g-m/mac-and-cheese-3-387-and-6-192/

http://forums.egullet.org/