Smokers (BBQ)

Dr. Fong

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've never owned one, but I really have the urge to get one and smoke something this weekend. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

this will probably get shipped to the other forum, but if you share what your interested in doing with it you will likely get advice that is more awesome

this will probably get shipped to the other forum, but if you share what your interested in doing with it you will likely get advice that is more awesome

I didn't post it in the Consumer's forum solely because I feel like nobody looks in there, but oh well.

I'd love to do ribs. That's probably my favorite thing that I haven't figured out how to do real well on my grill. Maybe a pork butt or some chicken as well. Experiment with some fish maybe.

I am not an experienced smoker, but I will offer this simple advice. Go cheap until you know you really like to do it. I'm sure there are affordable ones out there that will do a respectable job. I'm certain someone here on TBD will be able to guide you if the thread stays here.

Good luck!

I've never owned one, but I really have the urge to get one and smoke something this weekend. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

You've got a few choices.

1. The cheapest way to begin is with your standard bullet smoker, Probably about $40 for a stand up unit. You can make damn good BBQ on one, but refueling is a pain unless you modify. Thats how I got started. Good way to figure out how into BBQ you are.

2. Weber Smoky Mountain. Its a much better built bullet model, gets rave reviews, and its 10 times as expensive. Never used one, but refueling remains a challenge due to the design.

3. You can get a barrel smoker with an offset firebox. For $250 to $300 you can get a decent model. My friend has a Brinkmann Trailmaster and after a few sheet metal modifications to direct heat evenly, the results are great and its easy to maintain consistent temps. If you know this is going to be a life long pursuit, I'd get a Trailmaster or something like it made with thick steel.

Once you've got that figured out, we can talk technique, rubs, mops, injections and everything else under the sun.

You've got a few choices.

1. The cheapest way to begin is with your standard bullet smoker, Probably about $40 for a stand up unit. You can make damn good BBQ on one, but refueling is a pain unless you modify. Thats how I got started. Good way to figure out how into BBQ you are.

2. Weber Smoky Mountain. Its a much better built bullet model, gets rave reviews, and its 10 times as expensive. Never used one, but refueling remains a challenge due to the design.

3. You can get a barrel smoker with an offset firebox. For $250 to $300 you can get a decent model. My friend has a Brinkmann Trailmaster and after a few sheet metal modifications to direct heat evenly, the results are great and its easy to maintain consistent temps. If you know this is going to be a life long pursuit, I'd get a Trailmaster or something like it made with thick steel.

Once you've got that figured out, we can talk technique, rubs, mops, injections and everything else under the sun.

So you would definitely stick with a charcoal model?

I would. I like to burn whole logs.

Thinking of going with a propane unit?

The thought had occurred to me. I have a charcoal grill and a gas grill. The charcoal rarely gets used because I find it more of a pain in the ass than it's worth. So based on that I was thinking propane would be the way to go, but do you have any input?

The thought had occurred to me. I have a charcoal grill and a gas grill. The charcoal rarely gets used because I find it more of a pain in the ass than it's worth. So based on that I was thinking propane would be the way to go, but do you have any input?

Charcoal or wood is worth the pain in the ass. Good BBQ is a "pain" but I find the work very theraputic. Cooking is great therapy for me now. It's amazing how when I did it professionally how it almost killed me now it keeps me alive. I can spend the whole day in the kitchen. Give me a good bottle of wine (or two) some music and I'm good. My wife and I were laughing at how much time I spent on dinner last weekend making homemade pasta and everything else and how quickly we were able to wolf it down. :lol:

My first smoker was an Electric rig, and it did fine. Was easy as pie as just soak a chunk of wood for a hour or two, place it up agaisnt the element,and away you go.Plus you would not have to worry about tank running out

http://www.homedepot...de=cii_45538312

Have an Egg now, , and love it

Edited by plenzmd1

Gas or even electric has got to be way less maintenance and easier to maintain even heat. Theoretically, there shouldn't be a taste difference since the lump charcoal shouldn't be contributing any flavor and wood is wood, but in practice I'm not sure if thats the case.

I've only ever used charcoal and wood. If you're using wood and coal you really need to be around and ready to refuel as lump burns hot and fast. I like setting things on fire and standing around watching my temperature rise while slamming some cold ones, so that works for me. If you want to set and forget, go with gas.

I reference this site pretty often and found a discussion on the merits of gas vs. coal.

http://www.amazingribs.com/BBQ_buyers_guide/smokers/gas_smokers.html

Just speaking grilling, here .. the experience of maintaining the charcoal, moving it, adding to it, etc., is what makes the actual grilling fun and enjoyable to me. I'd imagine it would be the same for smoking.

I guess it depends on your goal. If it's just to have great food, I guess as long as you're making smoke, you'll get there whether it's with electric, propane or wood.

The Orion is awesome. Convection, steam, smoke. Can do six racks and a baloney in 1:15. Follow the cook times in the recipe book, and don't crack the seal till the time is up. We did a large Turkey a couple of years ago in under two hours. Very good, very Smokey flavor. For me though, It doesn't leave enough bark on the ribs so ill finish off in an oven or on a grill. It is truly a "set it and forget it" cooker. Its small enough to take camping too. It would work great at a tailgate. I haven't used mine yet this year. Might have to hit the meat market after work today!

The Orion is awesome. Convection, steam, smoke. Can do six racks and a baloney in 1:15. Follow the cook times in the recipe book, and don't crack the seal till the time is up. We did a large Turkey a couple of years ago in under two hours. Very good, very Smokey flavor. For me though, It doesn't leave enough bark on the ribs so ill finish off in an oven or on a grill. It is truly a "set it and forget it" cooker. Its small enough to take camping too. It would work great at a tailgate. I haven't used mine yet this year. Might have to hit the meat market after work today!

75 minutes is awfully fast for ribs. What temp are you cooking at?

75 minutes is awfully fast for ribs. What temp are you cooking at?

Don't know. Check it out here

It works exactly like they say. I totally understand those who enjoy the traditional process, but this is very convenient, and it makes awesome BBQ. My fave is smoked chicken. You can do three at a time on the Orion, and its nearly impossible to screw up so long as you watch the timer. I save teh left over smoked chicken for a number of other dishes. Damn, Im hungry now.

There are four different people that I know of here at work who've bought one. Everyone that I know swears by it. It's quality stainless steel, easy to assemble and made in America. I paid $149 three years ago at Lowes.

EDIT: I will say that cleaning the drip pan can be quite disgusting if you let it sit for a few days or months :-(

Edited by Stranger in a Strange Land

Don't know. Check it out here

It works exactly like they say. I totally understand those who enjoy the traditional process, but this is very convenient, and it makes awesome BBQ. My fave is smoked chicken. You can do three at a time on the Orion, and its nearly impossible to screw up so long as you watch the timer. I save teh left over smoked chicken for a number of other dishes.

Damn, Im hungry now.

EDIT: I will say that cleaning the drip pan can be quite disgusting if you let it sit for a few days or months :-(

Weird. Does it vent? I would be concerned about smoke buildup within the chamber forming creosote.

Reminds me of trash can cooking that my uncle was raving about. Someone he knows puts a turkey on a stake in the ground, covers it with a metal trash can and then surrounds the base and covers the top with coal.

Weird. Does it vent? I would be concerned about smoke buildup within the chamber forming creosote.

Reminds me of trash can cooking that my uncle was raving about. Someone he knows puts a turkey on a stake in the ground, covers it with a metal trash can and then surrounds the base and covers the top with coal.

It vents some around the lid. I don't know about the creosote. Its sealed off, so the lack of oxygen would not allow any flame inside. Besides, the creosote just adds to the flavor, no? J/k I clean it occasionally with oven cleaner.

Edited by Stranger in a Strange Land