BREAKING NEWS: 49ers WR Michael Crabtree tears Achilles

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ouch, this could signal Crabtree's exit from SF. He hasn't really produced like a player you would give a big contract to, not to mention he wasn't very fast before the injury.

he had like 1100 yards, 9-10 tds, and played well in the playoffs (though he blew that play in the SB terribly, whether or not you think its a penalty)

i know i said its not devastating, but its not nothing either.

niners need to hope that boldin can step into that role - reliable move the chains guy that isnt going to blow the top off the defense is something i think he has a year or two left doing, so that helps a lot.

SJBF can probably chime in - whats the word on jenkins after what amounted to a redshirt rookie season?

Ouch, this could signal Crabtree's exit from SF. He hasn't really produced like a player you would give a big contract to, not to mention he wasn't very fast before the injury.

In the last 5 games of last year, Crabtree had 3 100-yard receiving games including torching Patrick Peterson for 172 yards and 2 TDs.

In 3 playoff games he had 2 more 100-yard games including the Super Bowl and 3 TDs.

Crabtree's an ascending player who is considered part of the nucleus on that team.

SJBF can probably chime in - whats the word on jenkins after what amounted to a redshirt rookie season?

The word is that he's bulked up and is in "the best shape of his life."

:)

http://blogs.sacbee.com/49ers/archives/2013/05/the-skinny-aj-jenkins-muscled-up-this-offseason.html

he had like 1100 yards, 9-10 tds, and played well in the playoffs (though he blew that play in the SB terribly, whether or not you think its a penalty)

i know i said its not devastating, but its not nothing either.

niners need to hope that boldin can step into that role - reliable move the chains guy that isnt going to blow the top off the defense is something i think he has a year or two left doing, so that helps a lot.

It's not nothing, but it's also not great either. Many WRs have a year or two with 1,000 yards. I'm not convinced that Crabtree, a guy with 1 year of really good production and 4.6 speed, can survive the year+ off and any decrease in explosiveness that comes with the injury. Not to mention this is his 5th year, so unless he was signed recently, this should be his contract year.

Harbaugh will be sniffing around our camp for late WR cuts, no doubt. Like Rosen said, let's make a deal ahead of time for BS.

How about that fast kid from Texas who can't catch for Crabtree straight up? We take the zeroes for a year and then we are set.

WOW, well its a good thing they traded for Boldin then, as they are going to really need him.

I honestly think the 49ers will still be one of the toughest teams in the NFL this year, but that is still a set back given Seattle is in their division. On the flip side, Harvin is injury prone, so hes no lock to make through the season for Seattle.

It might actually give AJ Jenkins a little playing time.

If nothing else it might force Harbaugh to at least dress him for games. Not often you see a first round pick finish the season with 3 games and 0 catches when he was healthy, regardless of who else is on the team at that position.

Edited by biglukes

If nothing else it might force Harbaugh to at least dress him for games. Not often you see a first round pick finish the season with 3 games and 0 catches when he was healthy, regardless of who else is on the team at that position.

I thought he was going to be pretty good coming out of college last year...but apparently he was "too small" and not physical enough for the 49ers. Has to make you wonder why they drafted him in the first place. They say, this off-season, he has added some weight and muscle, and has been working with Kaepernick a lot...so it may not all be for not.