College Student Kills 17-ft Burmese Python in Florida

Burmese pythons are invasive species and are REQUIRED to be killed on sight.

I'm pretty sure Burmese Pythons didn't get together and say "Let's invade Florida!"

Oh well. Sucks to be a python in Miami I guess.

So dude is driving along and he sees part of a big snake, which is just minding its own business, under a bush. So he takes his knife out and decides to kill it.

:thumbdown:

This was my initial reaction. I get that they are over-populated and are invasive, and the govt has a program that rewards killing them... but I always find it a bit sad when an animal has survived for so long, to grow so big, and some dummy just takes it out. Oh well. Nature.

So dude is driving along and he sees part of a big snake, which is just minding its own business, under a bush. So he takes his knife out and decides to kill it.

They are destroying the everglades and eat everything in sight. They are wiping out birds and out competing alligators. The public is encouraged to hunt them

I'm sure you'd have a different sentiment if you had to live around these things.

With the help of his friends, Leon wrestled and killed the snake with a knife, Segelson said.

So what have you all done today?

I'm pretty sure Burmese Pythons didn't get together and say "Let's invade Florida!"

Oh well. Sucks to be a python in Miami I guess.

http://myfwc.com/wildlifehabitats/nonnatives/reptiles/burmese-python/

Burmese pythons are one of the most destructive invasive species introduced in to North America.

Can't we kill the irresponsible snake owners that let them loose in the first place?

I read that an exotic pet store that was demolished by a hurricane might have also been a contributor to the introduction.

This was my initial reaction. I get that they are over-populated and are invasive, and the govt has a program that rewards killing them... but I always find it a bit sad when an animal has survived for so long, to grow so big, and some dummy just takes it out. Oh well. Nature.

It is not that they are over populated, it is that they don't belong, have no natural enemies there & are wiping out a good portion of the rest of the wildlife in everglades. I am not an expert on it but from what I have read they are a big time problem down in South Florida.

New dolhags name? Miami Pythons, They can wear yellow and be good since there is no competition against them. Plus a new logo of one of those snakes would be pretty awesome, BTW they have them here in Thailand and I actually saw a big one 15 foot or so once (not near my house though). The King Corbras are more worrisome though and we have had a few little ones on our street. There is also a mentor lizard, that is about 7 foot long and I would guess 200lbs that lives up the street just a bit. The poison spitters worry me.

I know you're kidding, but there's something about a :thumbsup: reply to a post about killing people that I find a bit creepy.

I get your point, and I do not condone killing.

As I've gotten older I have become less tolerant and forgiving of @$$holes who just get away with stuff like this, and it just pi$$e$ me off.