Whale Watching - Amazing!

ajzepp

Amazing what a father and daughter can do with a green screen, some prerecorded whale noises, and video footage from a summer canoe trip....you guys don't honestly believe this is real do you??

There's all sorts of videos on there of people out whale watching. Whales coming up to the boat is not anything unique...pretty common occurrence, and often times they're much larger than those gray whales. Humpbacks are ridiculously massive.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Which part(s) of the country/world did you travel to when you've been out watching these beauties?

Humpbacks in Hawaii on several occasions and Greys/Rights off Cape Cod. I've also been lucky enough to hear them while scuba diving off Lanai. We could see the probable whale doing tail slaps off in the distance but he wasn't close enough to see while I was down there.

And yes their breath is HORRIBLE :sick:

y'all are messing with us right? they clearly say its 'going under' the boat, 'gonna hit' the boat, don't know us over, he says it stinks when it blows out the blowhole...then the sucker fish....

i love this comment

LD1FB 2 months ago

I would have sunken the canoe -- with all the bricks I'd have sh***ed!

I was speaking more to the, "oh my God! Oh my God! Oh my God! (heavy breath, heavy breath, heavy breath), There it is! It's coming! It's coming!"

Humpbacks in Hawaii on several occasions and Greys/Rights off Cape Cod. I've also been lucky enough to hear them while scuba diving off Lanai. We could see the probable whale doing tail slaps off in the distance but he wasn't close enough to see while I was down there.

And yes their breath is HORRIBLE :sick:

That' so awesome...I'm always surprised how many people say they didn't go whale watching when they were in Hawaii...then I feel bad describing the experience to them, cause they start realizing they SHOULD have gone while they were there and may not get the chance to go back :blush: Whale watching and Pearl Harbour are the two things I always tell people should be priorities on their trip...laying on the beach is great, but those two opportunities should just not be missed, IMO.

Hopefully one day I'll get to be close enough to get a whiff of that stank breath!

There's all sorts of videos on there of people out whale watching. Whales coming up to the boat is not anything unique...pretty common occurrence, and often times they're much larger than those gray whales. Humpbacks are ridiculously massive.

I was just kidding aj....remarkable video. Definitely makes you appreciate the beauty of this creature.

Going back to Hawaii next month! Unfortunately the whales are not there in the summer but I'm super psyched to be going anyway.

heck yeah, Hawaii rocks!

I was just kidding aj....remarkable video. Definitely makes you appreciate the beauty of this creature.

:thumbsup:

LOL, no WAY! That's the best video I've ever seen...the quality of that is spectacular! I would have been freaking out and excited as hell, both at the same time if I had been on that raft. Absolutely unbelievable.

goodness gracious i would love for someone to nudge my little dinghy....it's been a while....

:lol: :lol:

goodness gracious i would love for someone to nudge my little dinghy....it's been a while....

Reminds me of the "Cheers" where they got stranded on a boat and Carla yells, "Sam, the dinghy!!!" And Sam, says, "yeah, honey, I'm gonna miss it, too."

• 3 weeks later...

went whale watching in Monterey a couple of years back. Saw a couple of greys from a great distance as the seas were pretty rough that day. Swells way over the top of the boat. Lots of hurling (thankfully not from me or my wife). Hoping for better luck up in Alaska next week. Leaving Friday for a cruise and land tour which includes a whale watching excursion in Juneau. Can't wait.

Back from Alaska. The whale watching in Juneau was great. The highlight was observing a pod of 8 Orcas for 30-45 minutes at close range. Just amazing. I actually took a pretty good video of it and will try to post it on youtube and link it here in the next few days. The cruise and land tour lived up to the hype, as the wildlife, glaciers and mountain ranges provided one thrill after another. And to top it off, the weather was uncharacteristically dry and warm for this time of year.

P.S. -- Jim in Anchorage, we found your city to be a little gem. The people were very friendly and very proud of their little corner of the world. We hope to return someday.

Back from Alaska. The whale watching in Juneau was great. The highlight was observing a pod of 8 Orcas for 30-45 minutes at close range. Just amazing. I actually took a pretty good video of it and will try to post it on youtube and link it here in the next few days. The cruise and land tour lived up to the hype, as the wildlife, glaciers and mountain ranges provided one thrill after another. And to top it off, the weather was uncharacteristically dry and warm for this time of year.

P.S. -- Jim in Anchorage, we found your city to be a little gem. The people were very friendly and very proud of their little corner of the world. We hope to return someday.

Wow, what an amazing experience...can't wait to see the video!!!

Thanks, glad you enjoyed it. Yes you sure hit good weather, I can't remember the last time it rained. Did you get to Anchorage on the train from Seward?

Thanks, glad you enjoyed it. Yes you sure hit good weather, I can't remember the last time it rained. Did you get to Anchorage on the train from Seward?

We got off the ship in Whittier and took the train 9 hours north to Denali Park. Made our way back via bus with a stop at another lodge near Denali (the mountain). Just amazing scenery.