Unpopular movie opinions

Talley56

Then you haven't seen Showgirls.

Yeah, Showgirls takes it to another level of suck. Take out the nudity and it's like a long form Mentos commercial. The behavior of the actors is just inexplicable and disorienting. You might think that could make it interesting in an ironic way, but no.

• Replies 255
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bloodsport is the worst acted, worst written, and worst directed movie of all time, but I love it and can't help but what watch it whenever it's on.

It's great that young forest Whitaker plays one of the military agents/police. I would say that he has come a long way.

like I said before, I have never met anyone who doesn't love bloodsport.

Yeah, Showgirls takes it to another level of suck. Take out the nudity and it's like a long form Mentos commercial. The behavior of the actors is just inexplicable and disorienting. You might think that could make it interesting in an ironic way, but no.

There was an absolutely epic review of Showgirls (and Jade, both Joe Esterhaz movies) written in the Buffalo News Gusto section years ago. I used to have it, but it's long since decayed away. I've found it in online archives, but haven't wanted to pay the $10 to access it.

But I might. The review was SO hilariously scathing that I'm tempted to buy a copy.

I don't think so. Ghostbusters and SCTV aside, that was Rick Moranis' finest work.

Which is kinda like saying aside from Pretty in Pink and St. Elmo's Fire, Weekend at Bernies was Andrew McCarthy's best work.

PS - Moranis was better in Honey I Shrunk the Kids

Edited by JÂy RÛßeÒ

I hate Anchorman as well as pretty much anything with Will Ferrell, Steve Carell, and Seth Rogen

Superhero movies dont do it for me and I wish they would stop.

The Godfather is boring and overrated.

There Will Be Blood was unmitigated, boring trash

Edited by May Day 10

Which is kinda like saying aside from Pretty in Pink and St. Elmo's Fire, Weekend at Bernies was Andrew McCarthy's best work.

And Parenthood.

The Godfather is boring and overrated.

I'm not even going to ask the mods for permission.

You're an idiot.

You forgot Less Than Zero and the underrated Heaven Help Us. No Andrew McCarthy expert are you!

There Will Be Blood was unmitigated, boring trash

Good God yes. 2 hours into that movie I was still wondering when it was going to start. Just awful.

Can I just say here, for one moment, that Spaceballs sucks?

Young Frankenstein, Blazing Saddles, Spaceballs: Spaceballs is in a DISTANT third.

Pretty much like Starship Troopers.

Starship Troopers is wonderfully hokey. Yes, the acting is silly bad. But the writing, by no means, is subpar.

Allow me to toss this on the fire:

Speaking of Ron Howard, Apollo 13 kinda sucked.

Here's one... I actually enjoyed the movie version of Get Smart with Steve Carrel, Anne Hathaway, Dwayne Johnson, and Alan Arkin.

That was very good. Very faithful to the series, without trying to BE the series. Alan Arkin was great in that.

"Are you thinking what I'm thinking?"

"I don't know. Were you thinking 'Holy ****, holy ****, a swordfish almost went through my head?' If so, then yes."

Except for three moments (when he finds Natalie Portman in the bathtub, the "Neil is gone" scene after the shootout, and "You do not get to watch my television set!"), I thought Pacino's performance was slightly annoying. Mostly because I consider that the start of his "SCREAM EVERY LINE!!!" method of acting.

And Dennis Haysbert is seriously underappreciated in Heat. Small part, but possibly the best performance in the movie.

You make a good point about Pacino, although I would also like to add to the scenes you mentioned, the moment when he is talking to his wife ( Diane Venora) at the night club about his work and how he keeps that side of his life to himself. Venora is great in that scene too as we see how their relationship is slowly but surely breaking apart.

I totally agree on your comment on Dennis Haysbert. For a small part, he made the most of it.

You make a good point about Pacino, although I would also like to add to the scenes you mentioned, the moment when he is talking to his wife ( Diane Venora) at the night club about his work and how he keeps that side of his life to himself. Venora is great in that scene too as we see how their relationship is slowly but surely breaking apart.

Forgot that. And I'd add the hospital scene with Pacino and Venora, Again, a great performance by the both of them combined to provide audience the sense that they've reached some closure in admitting together their relationship is over.

(Side note: how the hell did I get to be such a movie geek? This must be why my wife doesn't go to the movies with me anymore.)

I'd just like to go on record as saying I thought Any Given Sunday sucked ass. Al Pacino overacted his part like he has in every movie since [and including] the Devil's advocate, and it went way over the top into the realm of absurdity by trying to get too "real". I remember my then gf's dad telling me "that's how it really is" as though this fat !@#$ has some kind of inside knowledge about life in the NFL. (this is the same ass hole that told me I needed to check out Universal Soldier 2).

I also never got the Star Wars thing. I thought they were good movies, but I never got the mystical experience of the trilogy.

And I thought the Divine Secrets of the Ya Ya Boredomhood was some of the most over-rated, poorly acted, self-satisfied pile of cinematic Lifetimeesque crap I've ever been made to sit through. It made the Notebook seem inspiring by comparison.

Edited by Rob's House

And Parenthood.

I'm not even going to ask the mods for permission.

You're an idiot.

Parenthood is a great movie.

Always loved Fletch. Thought that was underrated

That was very good. Very faithful to the series, without trying to BE the series. Alan Arkin was great in that.

"Are you thinking what I'm thinking?"

"I don't know. Were you thinking 'Holy ****, holy ****, a swordfish almost went through my head?' If so, then yes."

"I'm telling you what we're not, we're not people who jam staples into other people's heads, that's CIA crap!"

I also never got the Star Wars thing. I thought they were good movies, but I never got the mystical experience of the trilogy.

Star Wars lost me the moment "I hear this is going to be amazing!" quickly turned into "Is it me, or is Yoda just a muppet in need of some tweezers?"

Now, for an unintentional segue, I should add that, as a person who grew up watching "The Muppets" on TV, I thought Jason Segel absolutely nailed the movie "The Muppets" a couple of years ago. But that could just be the part of me that thinks Amy Adams makes anything really good.