RIP Ray Manzarek

Chef Jim

One of my favorite tracks, ever...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OCaDjpwuh08

Got to meet John Densmore just a few weeks ago...he did a book signing at the music store I work at. Super nice guy... I know that he was in a decades long feud with Ray and Robbie Krieger, but from Densmore said, they had kind of patched things up...sounded like the notion was out there that they might work together again...alas....

Edited by Buftex

I'm sure I'm in the minority, but it's my opinion that the Doors were one of the most overrated bands of the greatest era of music. I think there was individual talent ... especially Ray Manzarek ... but overall, I think their music was "blah." I consider Jim Morrison to be a mildly-talented lyricist and a terrible singer. He was a poser. A showman ... which he was very good at. But he was no top tier singer/writer.

Either way, RIP.

I never heard of The Doors before I saw the movie Apocalypse Now, but after that I was hooked. One of my favorite bands.

Really? You gotta be around the same age as me? Didn't your parents listen to them? My father liked the whole Jim Morrison/Native American Indian schtick... Crap, even when I went to Arizona alone in 1979 (age 11) to visit my friend, he had me wanting me to find him one of those metal "gaucho belts" Morrison would wear... No wonder I am so screwy. Mom and Dad weren't hippies (a bit older) but, sympathized with them... LoL... As early as I remember listening to stuff like "Riders on the Storm" cranked when it came on the radio... He'd always take me to the Coast Guard Station in BFLO to get his smokes @ the CGX/PX... It was the highlight of the trip if The Doors came on... It usually got cranked up!

Anyway... I never knew that Morrison's dad was a high ranking Naval officer... Figures... Military brat grows up to rebel against "the system." Who'd a guessed? ;-)

Great band! Every album was great. Robbie had that distintive sound

Waiting for the sun, morrison's hotel and LA woman all killers. The first song on LA woman changling is the doors.

I'm sure I'm in the minority, but it's my opinion that the Doors were one of the most overrated bands of the greatest era of music. I think there was individual talent ... especially Ray Manzarek ... but overall, I think their music was "blah." I consider Jim Morrison to be a mildly-talented lyricist and a terrible singer. He was a poser. A showman ... which he was very good at. But he was no top tier singer/writer.

Either way, RIP.

You are indeed in the minority.