Thoughts and prayers to those in Oaklahoma

mead107

It's times like this that the phrase, "ignorance is bliss," rings truest. Sometimes, I just think being unaware would put me in a happier place. God bless these poor people.

It was sad when I heard my 5 yr old nephew talking about it to me on the phone.

YEP!!! 2-3 hours due north and way too soon

after Granbury and Cleburne!!!

51 dead and still searching.

So sad.

True!!!

my daughter lives 20 miles west of Moore. More warnings today.

I live about 20-25 miles NW of Moore. NW corner of OKC. I work about 7 miles away from where the tornado went through.

This tornado followed a very similar path to the F5 tornado from May 1999 that hit Moore. That one had 300+ mph winds.

I believe this one is being categorized as an EF4 with 200 mph winds.

I live about 20-25 miles NW of Moore. NW corner of OKC. I work about 7 miles away from where the tornado went through.

This tornado followed a very similar path to the F5 tornado from May 1999 that hit Moore. That one had 300+ mph winds.

I believe this one is being categorized as an EF4 with 200 mph winds.

Wow... All our hearts and love go out to those in need!

Do they have basements in the area? One thing that amazes me about moving here to Illinois is how many houses and schools do NOT have basements. Many in my village are just slabs. They always talk about safe rooms and what not, I made sure to get a basement. Growing up in Western New York... I think most houses had them. You'd think schools in the tornado allys would be mandated to have a shelter like that ala "Wizard of Oz." Maybe it was just the gathering of all the wrong elements... :-( :-(

Do they have basements in the area? One thing that amazes me about moving here to Illinois is how many houses and schools do NOT have basements. Many in my village are just slabs. They always talk about safe rooms and what not, I made sure to get a basement. Growing up in Western New York... I think most houses had them. You'd think schools in the tornado allys would be mandated to have a shelter like that ala "Wizard of Oz." Maybe it was just the gathering of all the wrong elements... :-( :-(

Very few basements in OK. Due to high water table and clay dirt, basements flood like crazy. Only very old, or very expensive homes likely have basements. The best most people have is a storm/tornado shelter, a big steel box that's usually either placed under the slab foundation in a garage or in the backyard. Some people have concrete safe rooms, although from my knowledge when the big EF5 types hit, those safe rooms still aren't as safe as the underground shelter.

It's crazy, a state that gets more tornadoes than most has the least amount of protection for the people that live there.

From what I've seen and read, 1elementary school had a basement, the other didn't. The one that did had children drown from the flooding of the basement they were hiding in. Source:CNN.

Very few basements in OK. Due to high water table and clay dirt, basements flood like crazy. Only very old, or very expensive homes likely have basements. The best most people have is a storm/tornado shelter, a big steel box that's usually either placed under the slab foundation in a garage or in the backyard. Some people have concrete safe rooms, although from my knowledge when the big EF5 types hit, those safe rooms still aren't as safe as the underground shelter.

It's crazy, a state that gets more tornadoes than most has the least amount of protection for the people that live there.

I suppose that is the issue here... We also have very hard clay soil... Water table not so much a problem... BUT you really have to stay on top of your sump pump/drain situation! You get a little bit of rain and that drain is running!

Stay safe... I gotta check what we are gonna get... Skies turning from full sun to gloomy in the west!

From what I've seen and read, 1elementary school had a basement, the other didn't. The one that did had children drown from the flooding of the basement they were hiding in. Source:CNN.

Crazy... I can't even read the story, it will tear me up... So tragic and the flooding thing is just hideous!

Besides living there and calling the place home why live there if you know you may be six feet under. I feel for those folks. If buffalo had earthquakes, mudslides and f4 tornado's would you stay

To quantity my below post I am from buffalo so tornadoes are not something I'm used to.

I was in witchita falls tx (just south of OK) for a few months in the spring during tornado season. And the super cell thunderstorms were unreal. I had not even been in weather that compared and I have traveled my fair share. I saw a funnel cloud (a tornado that never touched down) and massive rotating wall clouds. As well as the sky literally churning and lots of hail.

The first time I ever heard a tornado siren and had to take cover was pretty surprising and scary.

I am fascinated by weather and I was still nervous. I cant even imagine what it would be like to try and survive a massive tornado that is leveling everything in its path.

Besides living there and calling the place home why live there if you know you may be six feet under. I feel for those folks. If buffalo had earthquakes, mudslides and f4 tornado's would you stay

I hear you. I guess it is risk assesment. Cleveland area was studied to be one of the safest places when it comes to natural disasters. Here in IL, not so bad... BUT we are over due for a big tornado (probably the only disaster to worry about)... Had some microbursts (tore only one neighbor's roof partially off) through the time I was here and had one skip over high. 1990 or so was the one in Plainfield (Joliet) and from what I hear, my immediate area had a bad one in 1968. Way over due here in Illinois... But man, down there in OK and say MO... They are constantly in the line of fire! My prayers go out!

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

That's !@#$ed up.