James Walker uncharacteristally upbeat about rookie class

If for nothing else he might be rooting for the only minority hire so far in Doug Whaley, but then so am I.

"New Bills GM Doug Whaley was an "integral" part of drafting E.J. Manuel.

"I was the person that handled the draft process and setting up the board," Whaley said. "We think that we did enough due diligence and the information pointed us all to this point that E.J. would be the guy we feel will take the Buffalo Bills into the future." Buddy Nix's successor is setting himself up to take the credit — or blame — for Manuel's career. A major project compared to most recent first-round quarterbacks, there's no guarantee Manuel will make a positive impact as a rookie. It's entirely possible Whaley's reign as GM in Buffalo will be defined by Manuel's success or lack thereof."

http://www.rotoworld.com/headlines/nfl/261955/new-

bills-gm-open-to-starting-manuel-in-wk-1?rw=1

While its refreshing to have a younger GM now at the helm, and someone who comes from a team with a storied history of winning year after year in the Pittsburgh Steelers.

I just wonder how Doug Marrone fits into all this and who's choice was he, Brandon's, Buddy Nix's?

I hope I am wrong but the Alonso and Goodwin picks had the feel of past reaches for need that have failed. That's how you end up with guys like Aaron Williams and Kelvin Sheppard in your starting lineup.

This draft was a textbook case of drafting to fill holes.

The immediate saving grace is that they realized that they needed to take a chance on a quarterback. That's the one need you can't ignore and if Manuel is a hit, the draft was a success even if every other pick fails.

But the strength of this draft was on the lines and the Bills came up with nothing there.

Right now, the Bills appear stronger on the lines than at any other positions but that can change with a few injuries.

If Alonso and Goodwin turn out to be the kind of so-so players that their modest college careers indicated they will be(as Williams and Sheppards did as well)..... then the Bills could have ended up passing on some much better long term investments just to fill holes........that they didn't actually end up filling.

In that regard, this draft certainly had the look of Buddy's other drafts.

I hope I am wrong but the Alonso and Goodwin picks had the feel of past reaches for need that have failed. That's how you end up with guys like Aaron Williams and Kelvin Sheppard in your starting lineup.

This draft was a textbook case of drafting to fill holes.

The immediate saving grace is that they realized that they needed to take a chance on a quarterback. That's the one need you can't ignore and if Manuel is a hit, the draft was a success even if every other pick fails.

But the strength of this draft was on the lines and the Bills came up with nothing there.

Right now, the Bills appear stronger on the lines than at any other positions but that can change with a few injuries.

If Alonso and Goodwin turn out to be the kind of so-so players that their modest college careers indicated they will be(as Williams and Sheppards did as well)..... then the Bills could have ended up passing on some much better long term investments just to fill holes........that they didn't actually end up filling.

In that regard, this draft certainly had the look of Buddy's other drafts.

The proof of the pudding is in the eating. If Alonso and Goodwin succeed, impressions of the draft before the players get a chance to prove themselves are as worthless as draft grades immediately after the draft.

I thought Ralph was cheap.

http://forums.twobillsdrive.com/topic/158450-james-walker-uncharacteristally-upbeat-about-rookie-class/#entry2812715

The proof of the pudding is in the eating. If Alonso and Goodwin succeed, impressions of the draft before the players get a chance to prove themselves are as worthless as draft grades immediately after the draft.

Yeah but learning from mistakes is an important step in not repeating them. And make no mistake, the Bills know that they have made a lot of mistakes. That is why they are making changes in how they scout players(introducing analytics for example). If the way they've always done it was working, they wouldn't need to.

When you keep drafting for need you end up with a roster that continually tempts you to do it again, and again. Examples: Aaron Williams was followed by Gilmore and now Sheppard was followed by Alonso. While you need multiple players at those positions, I don't think it is coincidental that both Williams and Sheppard didn't impress early on(and still haven't) and that their specific positions(boundary corner and ILB) were targeted as needs in very subsequent drafts.

There is some element of nearly every draftable prospects bio that can rationalize an early selection. In Alonso's case, he had a good season last year while playing for a trendy college program that the pro's are trying to draw from. The downside is that he is not real big or physical, has had injury problems and off-field problems and only had one good season. To me......that's not a second round prospect. That is a guy you take in the 4th-5th round if he is on the board. If he's not, then so be it. If he is and he pans out....great. But the Bills had a need so they risked an early chip on him. Red flag.

Goodwin is super-fast but his production at Texas was poor. This pick was only a third rounder but even that late it was a significant gamble based on his lack of projectable production. This guys game did not include much route running or the slot work that he is reportedly being projected to do. Fast guys that are straight-linish get really worthless, real fast. Ask former Jets and Bills speedster David Clowney. To Goodwins credit, he impressed in the bowl game and the draft process as a whole....and scouts are very aware of the folly of projecting track guys to the football field so maybe the Bills are right and he will turn into a legitimate #2 or #3 wide receiver in the NFL. Still......we've seen this type of pick before. If TJ Graham doesn't show suspect hands and fail to impress with his route running is this pick even made? Again a case where the team reached for need.

The upside in all of this is that there is a huge margin for error when evaluating talent in the NFL. As Belichick has said......in order to be bad in the NFL you have to do a lot of things bad. It's not a blown draft pick or two that curses a franchise to 13 years of losing. The Bills have been that team that does a lot of things bad for a long, long time.........but if they can at least minimize the amount of bad moves they make they have the same shot of making the playoffs that every team has, even if it is just once every 3-4 year period.

Yeah but learning from mistakes is an important step in not repeating them. And make no mistake, the Bills know that they have made a lot of mistakes. That is why they are making changes in how they scout players(introducing analytics for example). If the way they've always done it was working, they wouldn't need to.

When you keep drafting for need you end up with a roster that continually tempts you to do it again, and again. Examples: Aaron Williams was followed by Gilmore and now Sheppard was followed by Alonso. While you need multiple players at those positions, I don't think it is coincidental that both Williams and Sheppard didn't impress early on(and still haven't) and that their specific positions(boundary corner and ILB) were targeted as needs in very subsequent drafts.

There is some element of nearly every draftable prospects bio that can rationalize an early selection. In Alonso's case, he had a good season last year while playing for a trendy college program that the pro's are trying to draw from. The downside is that he is not real big or physical, has had injury problems and off-field problems and only had one good season. To me......that's not a second round prospect. That is a guy you take in the 4th-5th round if he is on the board. If he's not, then so be it. If he is and he pans out....great. But the Bills had a need so they risked an early chip on him. Red flag.

Goodwin is super-fast but his production at Texas was poor. This pick was only a third rounder but even that late it was a significant gamble based on his lack of projectable production. This guys game did not include much route running or the slot work that he is reportedly being projected to do. Fast guys that are straight-linish get really worthless, real fast. Ask former Jets and Bills speedster David Clowney. To Goodwins credit, he impressed in the bowl game and the draft process as a whole....and scouts are very aware of the folly of projecting track guys to the football field so maybe the Bills are right and he will turn into a legitimate #2 or #3 wide receiver in the NFL. Still......we've seen this type of pick before. If TJ Graham doesn't show suspect hands and fail to impress with his route running is this pick even made? Again a case where the team reached for need.

The upside in all of this is that there is a huge margin for error when evaluating talent in the NFL. As Belichick has said......in order to be bad in the NFL you have to do a lot of things bad. It's not a blown draft pick or two that curses a franchise to 13 years of losing. The Bills have been that team that does a lot of things bad for a long, long time.........but if they can at least minimize the amount of bad moves they make they have the same shot of making the playoffs that every team has, even if it is just once every 3-4 year period.

Speaking specifically of Alonso and Goodwin, I don't view them as need-reaches, but instead view their selections as being similar to their selection of Manuel. There were other options, but they took a guy who others thought could/would/should have gone later. I'd prefer that to "well, they took the highest-rated guy left on the board according to NFL.com/Kiper/McShay/Mayock/a monkey throwing darts at a board." There is no telling where they might have been picked had the Bills not taken them and again they are only mistakes if they don't pan out.

Very upbeat - especially from him.

I still think he's an arrogant d-bag and an awful "journalist."

I understand that it is probably impossible for ESPN to find someone the caliber of Tim Graham, and having to replace someone as good as Tim is difficult, but please. How does Walker have a job?

James Walker isn't someone I read anymore. The other day this moron was saying how there is a Bills QB controversy now, cause Marrone had Tarvaris Jackson taking first team snaps. Anyone with a clue knows that that was the Bills plan all along...to rotate the QBs. It's just a lame attempt to get attention to his articles when we all know there is no story at all to be had.

Exactly.

IF you don't read what he wrights then how do you know what he said? :unsure:

IF you don't read what he wrights then how do you know what he said? :unsure:

Cause people link to his blog in the threads. DUH! 0:)