Small Business Software

Dante

Looking for suggestions on software for a small business. Basic accounting stuff. Also to issue invoices and so on. No payroll needed, as yet anyway as it's my wife and I. Free would be great as long as it did the job. Would be nice to keep out of a subscription if possible. Trying Fresh Books right now but it is a subscribe cloud service. Seems not bad though.

Edited by Dante

I've used QuickBooks and Peachtree (which is apparently now Sage 50). Peachtree SUCKED. A lot. QuickBooks was much better.

The only other one I know of is Postbooks, which is open source and free. Never used it, though.

And honestly...if you've never done any business accounting before (maybe you have, I don't know), the best idea is to read an intro book on it and do it by hand for a while. When I started, I found any business software to be unusable because I didn't have even the basic context.

Hey Dante, check out NCH software Express Invoice. My wife & I started a biz 2 years ago and recently switched to Quickbooks for payroll reasons.

Also a bit off topic but check out Google Apps For Business to host your email, they also have plug in CRM: Pipeline. For a bigger teleco presence check out ring central's hosted VoIP which can make your biz more professional: vanity #, 800 number, extension creation. For website 1and1 is the best & most robust for small business. Develop a YouTube video channel & link to your website. Vistaprint is the bomb for cheap quality biz cards. They also sell a lot of the goodies you could use in your marketing.

Good luck!

You can probably find cheaper and most basic options than QBs if your needs are really simple, but QB is definitely the standard so if you plan on growing and adding employees it might be worth just getting that going now.