JarHeadJim

I hope your right....

I need to see it in print

200974[/snapback]

Dallas Morning News Reports:

Sources: UT's Robinson headed to Syracuse

06:38 PM CST on Monday, January 10, 2005

By CHIP BROWN / The Dallas Morning News

AUSTIN – Texas co-defensive coordinator Greg Robinson will be named the new head football coach at Syracuse, according to two sources close to the Longhorns' program.

Robinson, 53, was offered the job Monday and accepted after interviewing with new Syracuse athletic director Daryl Gross in Los Angeles on Friday, the sources said.

Gross, the former associate athletic director at USC, received a strong recommendation to hire Robinson from USC head coach Pete Carroll.

Carroll, who recommended Robinson to Texas coach Mack Brown last year, played and coached with Robinson at Pacific and also coached with Robinson at North Carolina State (1980-81) and the New York Jets (1990-94).

Gross said he wanted to hire a defense-minded coach with NFL experience – basically in the mold of Carroll – and probably has found that in Robinson.

The biggest difference between Carroll and Robinson, however, is that Carroll was a two-time NFL head coach before landing the USC job, while Robinson will be taking his first job as a head coach at Syracuse.

Robinson said when he arrived at Texas that his ultimate goal was to become a college head coach and that he didn't want to return to the NFL. Robinson spent 14 seasons in the NFL, including stints as defensive coordinator with the Kansas City Chiefs and the Denver Broncos, where he won Super Bowl rings in 1997 and 1998.

"I'm making a career change," Robinson said when he was announced as Brown's co-defensive coordinator at Texas last year.

Robinson, who has a reputation as a super recruiter dating to his days as an assistant coach under Terry Donahue at UCLA (1982-89), helped oversee a Texas defense this season that reduced its points allowed from 21.5 in 2003 to 17.9 (18th nationally) in 2004. UT also allowed just 107.4 yards rushing per game (16th nationally) this season compared to 152.5 yards rushing per game last season.

Texas players credited Robinson with injecting the team with enthusiasm and discipline while increasing the hitting in practice to help make the Longhorns a better tackling defense than in years' past. Even players on offense said Robinson helped them with pointers and encouragement.

Tuesday or Wednesday.

http://www.mackbrown-texasfootball.com/pag...f/robinson.html

200966[/snapback]

Greg Robinson? Everybody likes him, but then they fire him. I can't believe he was the architect of that horrendous Chiefs defense of 2003 and now he is going to get a promotion. The Broncos won SB's in spite of him and finally had to shittcan him once they couldn't just chopblock everyone into submission anymore. I find it very hard to believe they couldn't do any better than finding somebody who just LOOKS like Pete Carroll. I hope he does well, and in fairness, being a lousy coordinator does not preclude him from becoming a good HC, but this ain't right. They could have gotten a better qualified candidate, the Syracuse job ain't exactly USC or Miami, but it's good enough to do better than this.

I'm not sure what to think about this.

His KC defense obviously stunk, but based on their dreadful year this season after he left, that clearly had more to do with personnel.

I'm not sure Bo Pelini or whatever would've been a better choice.

In any case, it's good to see the new administration look around for the best candidates rather than hiring some stiff from within.

On another note, how worthless are Syracuse reporters? Nobody EVER found out what happened to Billy Edelin last year; and now a Dallas paper scoops them on THEIR new head coach?

On another note, how worthless are Syracuse reporters? Nobody EVER found out what happened to Billy Edelin last year; and now a Dallas paper scoops them on THEIR new head coach?

In fairness, he is the DC at Texas... But yes, syracuse's reporters are worthless. Looks like JarHeadJim should apply for sports columnist

In fairness, he is the DC at Texas... But yes, syracuse's reporters are worthless.  Looks like JarHeadJim should apply for sports columnist

201127[/snapback]

LOL I know what happend in that situation as well but in fairness to Billy and His Dad I won't be posting that on any fourms.

:w00t: