Time to visit your Farmers Market

boyst

I know it's not the norm, but the prices are at least double, and sometimes triple, the prices at the supermarket. It's never been like this in years past.

I've never really noticed because many times in the FM I buy stuff you never find at the super market. I just load of a bag of stuff and it's usually $2-3. Now the meat is crazy expensive but it's also fantastic stuff. Grocery store meat sucks.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've never really noticed because many times in the FM I buy stuff you never find at the super market. I just load of a bag of stuff and it's usually $2-3. Now the meat is crazy expensive but it's also fantastic stuff. Grocery store meat sucks.

People do not realize how crazy expensive it is to raise meat, especially beef. Or the value of things that are out of the ordinary. Getting some exotic vegetables for $9/lbs. might not be for everyone. That's the way it is.

One thing I have against a local market here is that they have caps on prices. You cannot sell for more or less then they permit - if you close in 5 minutes and have just 3 lbs. of strawberries left you cannot mark them down just to sell them. The same goes for labels, and with my certifications that really upsets me. I have worked hard to obtain the right to claims about my product and it is not justifiable to me that I must sell my product for the same price as someone who just does standard freezer beef.

Got some asparagus at the supermarket for $1.98/LB. yesterday. I'm gonna hit the farmers market again next Saturday, but I don't think I can justify the ridiculous mark ups. We'll see.

The mark up is justified. They offer a product that others do not, even if the red thing at the grocery store is labeled a strawberry.

People do not realize how crazy expensive it is to raise meat, especially beef. Or the value of things that are out of the ordinary. Getting some exotic vegetables for $9/lbs. might not be for everyone. That's the way it is.

One thing I have against a local market here is that they have caps on prices. You cannot sell for more or less then they permit - if you close in 5 minutes and have just 3 lbs. of strawberries left you cannot mark them down just to sell them. The same goes for labels, and with my certifications that really upsets me. I have worked hard to obtain the right to claims about my product and it is not justifiable to me that I must sell my product for the same price as someone who just does standard freezer beef.

The mark up is justified. They offer a product that others do not, even if the red thing at the grocery store is labeled a strawberry.

It's asparagus, man. They didn't reinvent the wheel. There's not a damn thing that can justify charging double for asparagus. I totally get what you're saying about the meat; I really do. But asparagus???

It's asparagus, man. They didn't reinvent the wheel. There's not a damn thing that can justify charging double for asparagus. I totally get what you're saying about the meat; I really do. But asparagus???

it takes 2 years plus to get a harvest off of a plant. And then its done. Not many farms can commit the acrage to do that. You are paying for something else more profitable to be planted or in other words two years worth of any other item.

I mean, meat gets headlines but with genetically modified plants, and crazy chemicals, and then of course being seasonal/local vs shipped from Argentina... There are things that change quality. Whether its worth the gap your seeing, who knows and likely depends who you ask.