Time to visit your Farmers Market

boyst

i'm told there were strawberries and rhubarb at our market today but i missed it. damn, i can almost taste the awesome crumble with whipped cream they would have made. hope they have some left for saturday. speaking of cream, anybody bought whole unpasteurized milk from a farmer? it's not easy due to the laws but we bought a share in a cow for a while and got it. tried to make cheese but was only successful with soft cheeses like mozzarella. didn't like drinking whole unpasteurized milk at all. it's very different from the stuff at the supermarket.... so, no longer own a share in a milk cow.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ours had a small quantity of strawberries...seemed to be plenty of rhubarb...that will be this weekends haul..ours also has a goat milk stand...i haven't tried it yet...might be our last week for asparagus...booooo

i'm told there were strawberries and rhubarb at our market today but i missed it. damn, i can almost taste the awesome crumble with whipped cream they would have made. hope they have some left for saturday. speaking of cream, anybody bought whole unpasteurized milk from a farmer? it's not easy due to the laws but we bought a share in a cow for a while and got it. tried to make cheese but was only successful with soft cheeses like mozzarella. didn't like drinking whole unpasteurized milk at all. it's very different from the stuff at the supermarket.... so, no longer own a share in a milk cow.

something to look for - we have a family that grows and sells mostly herbs. fresh lemongrass is amazing (mostly in asian dishes) and can be snipped and grown in a window for further use. buy a pint sized pot and you'll have it for weeks and maybe months.

along these lines...i have a bunch of herbs started on my balcony...i went to amazon and bought a lot of 26 3-gallon nursery style pots from amazon...about a buck a piece...hopefully i can get a bunch of the herbs transferred and have herbs for a long long long time

something to look for - we have a family that grows and sells mostly herbs. fresh lemongrass is amazing (mostly in asian dishes) and can be snipped and grown in a window for further use. buy a pint sized pot and you'll have it for weeks and maybe months.

ours had a small quantity of strawberries...seemed to be plenty of rhubarb...that will be this weekends haul..ours also has a goat milk stand...i haven't tried it yet...might be our last week for asparagus...booooo

In CA we have strawberries up the wazoo. And if you get goat milk I'll give you a recipe on making fresh goat cheese. It's fricken easy!

Post it up here my friend

Half gallon goat milk. Pasturized but not ultra-pasturized

1/2 cup cider vinegar

Kosher salt

Slowly heat the milk to 190 degrees. Slowly stir in the vinegar. The milk will coagulate. Line a strainer with cheesecloth and ladle the milk in and drain. Tie the corners of the cloth and hang over sink until it drains to the desired consistancy. I usually go about 1-2 hours. Place in a bowl and mix with salt to taste and roll into a log and wrap in cheesecloth or plastic and refrigerate overnight. You can roll in black pepper or herbs before refrigerating if you like. Most recipes I've seen call for 1/4 of vinegar but I've found that's not enough to coagulate the milk. And that is it!!

Edited by Chef Jim

I will get my girlfriend to post on this, she knows better then I... but she uses a lot of herbs planted in the landscape to make foods. From Lemon Balm and Bee Balm to Pansie Candy (no, not a delicious sugar coated Beerball), to strawberry jam. As we speak she is making rhubarb, mint, and rose jelly.

Oh, and speaking of milk, the next time you are out of buttermilk - just take lemon juice and milk to supplement it.

Anyone in NC or surrounding look for Goat Lady Cheese. Chef, if you feel like splurging I am sure its available online somewhere. http://www.goatladydairy.com/

I will get my girlfriend to post on this, she knows better then I... but she uses a lot of herbs planted in the landscape to make foods. From Lemon Balm and Bee Balm to Pansie Candy (no, not a delicious sugar coated Beerball), to strawberry jam. As we speak she is making rhubarb, mint, and rose jelly.

Oh, and speaking of milk, the next time you are out of buttermilk - just take lemon juice and milk to supplement it.

Anyone in NC or surrounding look for Goat Lady Cheese. Chef, if you feel like splurging I am sure its available online somewhere. http://www.goatladydairy.com/

There is some incredible artisanal cheeses being made in this country. Lots of it in Sonoma an hour or less from me so I get my fair share. Where's Oliver in France so I can rub his smug grenouille nose in some of the best cheese being made. And it's not in France. I'm trying to find a dairy to sell me sheep's milk. I love sheep's cheese.

i'm betting you've got a treasure there jboys...enjoy!

Now I know why when I saw your girlfriend all I could think was "that's gotta be jelly, 'cause jam don't shake like that!"

1/2 cup cider vinegar

Kosher salt

Slowly heat the milk to 190 degrees. Slowly stir in the vinegar. The milk will coagulate. Line a strainer with cheesecloth and ladle the milk in and drain. Tie the corners of the cloth and hang over sink until it drains to the desired consistancy. I usually go about 1-2 hours. Place in a bowl and mix with salt to taste and roll into a log and wrap in cheesecloth or plastic and refrigerate overnight. You can roll in black pepper or herbs before refrigerating if you like. Most recipes I've seen call for 1/4 of vinegar but I've found that's not enough to coagulate the milk. And that is it!!

Thanks! I will say, each time I dabble into cheese or sausage that I wish I was better equipped to go deeper but a crowded apartment and questionable ability to build out a fridge for aging always stops me before I start. Some basic fresh cheeses and sausages are still nice to have on file though, and always impress people.

Thanks! I will say, each time I dabble into cheese or sausage that I wish I was better equipped to go deeper but a crowded apartment and questionable ability to build out a fridge for aging always stops me before I start. Some basic fresh cheeses and sausages are still nice to have on file though, and always impress people.

Look at some mozzarella, fromage blanc, lemon cheese. All easy and fresh. No aging required.

Look at some mozzarella, fromage blanc, lemon cheese. All easy and fresh. No aging required.

I've done mozzarella before, ricotta, creole cream cheese (I'd say you might enjoy checking out if unfamiliar on the west coast)... A few others.... Not a ton. Actually did a basic fresh cheese class with Leah chase and another local chef last summer. Just wish I could delve deeper, but making the best of what I can do. Such is city life sometimes... Quarters are tight, in and around the French quarter.

Appreciate the suggestions and will be tossing them onto my to-do list. Need to stock up on some supplies before my next experiments.

Edited by NoSaint

I've done mozzarella before, ricotta, creole cream cheese (I'd say you might enjoy checking out if unfamiliar on the west coast)... A few others.... Not a ton. Actually did a basic fresh cheese class with Leah chase and another local chef last summer. Just wish I could delve deeper, but making the best of what I can do. Such is city life sometimes... Quarters are tight, in and around the French quarter.

Appreciate the suggestions and will be tossing them onto my to-do list. Need to stock up on some supplies before my next experiments.

You can make Cambembert and age it in your refrigerator. You can place it in a large zip lock bag and keep it filled with with air. You want to keep if full of humid air to help in the mold formation and keep it from drying out. Best moist air to use? Yes, blow into it. A little spit on your cheese never hurt anyone. The first batch I made was so runny we had to eat it with a spoon. :thumbsup:

i got a small amount of goat milk, i'll cut the recipe accordingly and give it a shot and let you know...thanks...also got some brocolli, beets and spring onions today...

1/2 cup cider vinegar

Kosher salt

i got a small amount of goat milk, i'll cut the recipe accordingly and give it a shot and let you know...thanks...also got some brocolli, beets and spring onions today...

Don't do it with a small amount. The yield is not huge. A half gallon will only make one 6-8 inch log. Keep in mind the majority of milk is whey.

Just got back from the farmers market. Does $5.99/lb. for asparagus sound a bit steep? Asparagus is heavy. I feel like I got taken.

And for you cheese makers ... Is there a good reference book that you use? Sounds like a lot of fun.

Just got back from the farmers market. Does $5.99/lb. for asparagus sound a bit steep? Asparagus is heavy. I feel like I got taken.

Yeah that is steep for asparagus. It's usualy $5/lb in the grocery store here in CA so the farmers markets should be a lot less.

Yeah that is steep for asparagus. It's usualy $5/lb in the grocery store here in CA so the farmers markets should be a lot less.

I friggin' knew it.