Time to visit your Farmers Market

boyst

Well, folks, it's a little past due, but I am just now getting to it! Spring is a busy time of year in the Ag world, and this year is no different. The rain kept coming and finally has given me 7 days of dry skies - I've been working my butt off two get 4 fields done. 10 more to go!

This is the time of year when the local farmers around you start to haul their stuff to the local markets. Strawberries are in across most of the country by now, lettuce, spinach, potatoes, and other things are coming and going.

http://localfoods.ab...Veg.htm Spring foods can be found here

http://localfoods.ab...Veg.htm Summer foods can be found here

Meat producers, honey, and dairy products will be available any time of year in most cases.

Tips for the Farmers Markets

• Ask as many questions as you would like and need to in order to feel comfortable with what you are purchasing. A bad experience can really taint the whole concept. As an example I spoke with a local farmer who would take their extra produce to the market and customers would generally accept what was available. However, there was a mother of 3 children who did not understand the difference sweet corn and feeder corn. She bought 2 dozen ears and threw them on the grill only to come back the next weekend and complain to management that his product was poor quality.

• Do not molest the food products. The more you handle any food product the more likely you are to damage it. When you go to your Super Market you do not have to worry if you drop an apple, or squish a tomato too hard. At the farmers market it is different. Every piece you damage is a loss of income to the farmer. Ask the farmer or representative at the booth the best way to identify good product. Also, if you have young children keep them from touching everything possible. All too many times I have seen children pick up fruit, drop it, throw it, etc. If you or your children damage any product, offer to purchase the product!

• If you want the best deal talk to the farmer. Ask if there is a mailing list, a method to purchase bulk amounts, or if it is possible to purchase the product at this farm. For instance, I sell my beef individually at set prices, but if you buy a bulk purchase you will save a lot of money. To buy 1/2 cow my current price is $4.85/lbs. To buy 1 lbs. of my ground beef it is $4.50. One third of an animal is steaks, another roasts and stew beef, and another ground beef. So, you end up paying a good price to get some great steaks... but a 1/2 cow is 240 lbs.

• Ask the farmer what his processes are, ask him methods for raising his product, etc. Ask about any certifications he may have, such as Animal Welfare Approved, American Grassfed Association, USDA Organic, USDA certified or inspected, etc. This is most important when dealing with any processed food - meats, jams, jellies, butters, etc.

• If the farmer does not have what you want ask him if he knows where you might be able to find it. Farmers are in a big network - they know someone who knows someone who can get you anything. As long as it is legal, they will help. If it is not legal...they still might. Just be nice and ask. A good farmer will always promote another farm and NEVER think of another farmer as competition.

• If the farmer makes claims that seem a little far fetched or seem too good to be true - be weary. Check with your local Agricultural Extension office if you have any questions or concerns. There is one in every county in this country and they serve as a regulatory service in loose terms on farming activity.

• This is my personal motto. If a farmer talks poorly about another farm do not shop him. A farmer who cannot respect his colleague in Ag is a farmer I do not have respect for, regardless of what he may do. Just because a farmer has better tomato's doing it one way does not mean he is better or worse.

• Bring your own bags. Farmers cannot recycle bags from Kroger, Food Lion, Walmart, etc. We must buy fresh bags per order due to Gov regulations. The same goes for taking pamphlets, business cards and other items. Just because they are there does not mean you need to take them. Any farmer would rather have you not take them and never contact them then to take them and still never call. For every 30 business cards I hang out I get 1 call, and I am stingy about giving them out, otherwise it'd be every 50.

In my sig line is a link to find your local farmers market. Anyone in Western New York looking for an Ag source, feel free to PM me. My cousin and her husband set up a Cost Share Agricultural program outside of Brockport at a family farm. I have not been up there in a few years, but can pass along their info. They are just starting out, but have a very large farm and are off to a great start - as her brother in law is an Ag Extension Agent up that way.

Edited by jboyst62

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here in Cbus area (Worthington) the market just moved from their indoor winter location to the "town center" outdoors. Produce is a bit thin at this time, but in June a tidal wave will begin. CSA's seem to be the current trend. Too much food at one time for only me and not enough neighbors to share.

Edited by BuffaloBud

Tomorrow will be the 3rd week in a row my son are going. This is great advice/info, Boyst, thanks. The Farmer's Market is one of my favorite parts of summer. I might even bring the dog with us tomorrow.

Here in Cbus area (Worthington) the market just moved from their indoor winter location to the "town center" outdoors. Produce is a bit thin at this time, but in June a tidal wave will begin. CSA's seem to be the current trend. Too much food at one time for only me and not enough neighbors to share.

I pass through CBus at least twice a year to Toleito. If you ever wanna get some beefs, let me know.

The Worthington Market is very nice. There is another one, I think toward Gahana that is more rural but offers a lot more variety and the authentic kind of feel. I don't like YUPY markets. :nana:

http://www.localharvest.org/mccracken-farms-M43479 Cousins farm in WNY. If the Mods feel it is inappropriate to post, just remove the links.

https://www.facebook.com/mccrackenfarms

Edited by jboyst62

Rock on jb. We have a ton of them around us and go frequently. Last year my wife signed us up for one of those produce shares where you pick up a bushel of whatever they're harvesting that week. Yummy.

I think the Bay Area probably has some of the best farmer's markets in the country. I agree with your first bullet point 100%. Ask a ton of questions. I've seen things at markets and had no idea what they were. Usually types of greens. And if it's a bin of greens take a taste and if you like it ask the farmer "ok, what the hell do I do with these?"

It's on our agenda tomorrow. Oh and I planted my first vegetable garden this spring. Three types of tomatoes, three types of peppers, zucchini, eggpland and cucumbers. I have tons of wild blackberrys on my property along with an apple tree and a lemon tree. You country folk may roll your eyes at me but us city folk don't often have the chance to plant a garden.

Tomorrow will be the 3rd week in a row my son are going. This is great advice/info, Boyst, thanks. The Farmer's Market is one of my favorite parts of summer. I might even bring the dog with us tomorrow.

bring the dogs every week. most of the regulars (especially the farm kids) know them well.

Good advice jboys. i'm amazed people need to be told not to handle the produce. i think the best rule to remember is that these are your neighbors. treat each other well. i've never had a farmer tell me a tall tale. he/she'd be run off once and forever from the other vendors and word would get around fast. it'd be like an old fashioned shunning.

I think the Bay Area probably has some of the best farmer's markets in the country. I agree with your first bullet point 100%. Ask a ton of questions. I've seen things at markets and had no idea what they were. Usually types of greens. And if it's a bin of greens take a taste and if you like it ask the farmer "ok, what the hell do I do with these?"

It's on our agenda tomorrow. Oh and I planted my first vegetable garden this spring. Three types of tomatoes, three types of peppers, zucchini, eggpland and cucumbers. I have tons of wild blackberrys on my property along with an apple tree and a lemon tree. You country folk may roll your eyes at me but us city folk don't often have the chance to plant a garden.

bought 2 lbs of fat back Monday. And a total of 20 lbs. Of other pork stuff. Including country bacon. Its country ham like bacon. Mm mm. No idea what I'll do with the fatback. I literally bought it just to make you jealous.

i think it's incredibly satisfying to eat what you grow yourself . sort of channeling the inner hunter gatherer. good luck. watch out for the flea beetles with eggplants- you might need some covers to protect them. the rest are usually pretty easy where we live. an 80 yo friend just dropped off my yearly tomato plants he grows from seed. he always tells me he won't give them to me til it's safe to put them out...and he's always right.

bought 2 lbs of fat back Monday. And a total of 20 lbs. Of other pork stuff. Including country bacon. Its country ham like bacon. Mm mm. No idea what I'll do with the fatback. I literally bought it just to make you jealous.

fry up the fatback and saute some fresh spinach in the fat. add some vinegar and you'll be happy.

I pass through CBus at least twice a year to Toleito. If you ever wanna get some beefs, let me know.

The Worthington Market is very nice. There is another one, I think toward Gahana that is more rural but offers a lot more variety and the authentic kind of feel. I don't like YUPY markets. :nana:

http://www.localharvest.org/mccracken-farms-M43479 Cousins farm in WNY. If the Mods feel it is inappropriate to post, just remove the links.

https://www.facebook.com/mccrackenfarms

Hear ya - but it the closest to the house. Drop me a PM when you head up this way. I'm up for some NC beefs. Piggie for that matter too.

just got back, got some chard, asparagus, white trumpet mushrooms and some spring onions...lets see if i can incorporate those all into one outstanding dish....oh and i fondled everything i could get my hands on and used their bags....

just got back, got some chard, asparagus, white trumpet mushrooms and some spring onions...lets see if i can incorporate those all into one outstanding dish....oh and i fondled everything i could get my hands on and used their bags....

Kind of a funky combo you got there. All I could imagine would be a frittata. Add some spicy Italian sausage.

i had no plan...the chard was pretty cool looking so bought it.,..the particular mushrooms, this is their last week here, i love asparagus, and who can't use spring onions...i do like the spice italian sausage with the chard though....

Kind of a funky combo you got there. All I could imagine would be a frittata. Add some spicy Italian sausage.

i had no plan...the chard was pretty cool looking so bought it.,..the particular mushrooms, this is their last week here, i love asparagus, and who can't use spring onions...i do like the spice italian sausage with the chard though....

Actually pancetta or bacon and garlic go well with the chard.

Ok just got back and here's what a got:

Pork belly

frisee

spring onions

shitake mushrooms

sweet peas

Point Reyes farmhouse cheese

Durum wheat flour

Navel oranges

Eggs

Strawberries

Here's what I'm making

To start: Frisee salad with sauteed pork belly and poached egg. (Classic Lyonnaise salad)

Main: Fresh pasta with seafood (not sure what, need to head to the fish market later) peas, spring onions, shitake mushrooms topped with grated Pt Reyes farmhouse cheese. I'm not a big fan of topping seafood pasta with cheese but what the hey, the cheese looks great

Dessert: Fresh strawberries with sour cream and brown sugar

Drinks: Fresh squeezed orange juice with coconut water and rum

Oh and I'll only use a small part of the pork belly for the salad. I'll cure the rest.

One of the things I miss about WNY are the farms and orchards. You take for granted how plentiful local fruit and vegetables are when you live someplace without them. Yes, there is local produce and farms in NH but not on the same scale. And you see that reflected in the quality of the farmer's markets. They are pretty lame affairs compared to, say, Rochester.

How do you expect her to slop the hogs in those heels?

PTR

Edited by PromoTheRobot