I'm glad now that we didn't sign Darrius Heyward-Bey

So many great responses! I agree wholeheartedly about having so much young WRs vs signing veterans, I think that we'll be much better off choosing and developing young players while employing our own specific scheme(s). Not only will we be able to get more years out of the younger players but also doing it at a much more reasonable pay rate. I was one of the ones who was hopeful that we would be able to sign the likes of Heyward-Bey, Meachum and any other veteran that I thought would improve our roster but I must admit that I unexpectedly find myself being intrigued with the fresh, bright direction that this franchise appears to be moving towards. Here's to us hopefully starting to lay the groundwork to turning the corner this year. I can't prove or validate that we are going to be good because I do understand that we have been promised so many times for so many years now that we are going to be different but I find myself gaining confidence under this new regime. I'm starting to Billieve again and it feels good! Hopefully this time I'm not wrong and the Bills will provide us with different results.

Go Bills!

C'mon, how can you say you wouldn't take DHB over Graham or Brad Smith. I'm iffy on Goodwin since we haven't seen what he can do but DHB is pretty much a more experienced version of him. Everyone is seriously undervaluing him right now. He's not a great wide receiver but he is a pretty solid speedster and probably around what Lee Evans was. I would take Stevie and Woods over him for sure as well as Rogers for now, but DHB is a better receiver than everyone else on the roster.

Evans > DHB, not even close

And I said I would not trade any of those guys for DHB who is one dimensional, unreliable, and has shaky hands. I at no point said the other WR's are more accomplished, I said I would not trade any of them for DHB as I think DHB has a lower ceiling than our young guys and isnt better than our Vets Stevie or Smith (although I think him and Smith are about equal...as DHB is probably slightly better WR, but Brad Smith has ST and Wildcat value).

Edited by Alphadawg7

I'd trade Easley for DHB in a heartbeat. One could be a great #3 based on his actual production thus far. The other is making a living on promise and size for the fourth straight year. I respect you as a poster but don't get where you're coming from on this one. Easley love is really hilarious around here. It's not even like the guy has straight up owned a preseason. If I said that Troup is the next Warren Sapp just waiting for the opportunity people would rightly think I'm nuts.

I can not fault you for your thoughts on Easley, and I am sure the majority agree with you and I am not here to change your mind. But here is my reasoning on why I think he still has potential and why I would not trade him for DHB...just my 2 cents.

A) Easley had bad luck with the first year injury and the undiagnosed heart ailment his second year. Last year our stubborn staff failed miserably to utilize players properly on both sides of the ball. His teammates and Fitz were raving about Easley in the off season workouts together, yet the staff stuck with the lame ducks guys they felt safe with. One could argue that Easley was at fault for not cracking the rotation, but given how poorly Gailey made decisions on how to use talent on this team (like giving Spiller 3 carries in the 2nd half of games where he was averaging 7+ yards per carry), I dont hold that entirely against Easley as I have little trust in Gaileys decisions last year. Once Easley got on the field on ST late in the season he started making plays.

B) DHB for me is at best a #3 WR. He has a low ceiling with suspect route running, inconsistent hands, and his one dimensional style of play. Now look at the Bills...I would much rather have Stevie and Woods as 1 and 2 obviously, and I like our combination of young guys for the 3rd and 4th WR spot (Goodwin and Graham). So, that makes DHB a #4 or #5 WR for me on this squad at best. As a 4th, 5th, or 6th WR, I would prefer a guy like Easley, who is bigger, about as fast, stronger, and a guy who has potential as a more dangerous and complete WR than DHB and will cost pennies compared to DHB.

Skip to this offseason...both the FO and the new staff praised Easley in various comments. So for me, bad luck the first 2 years, and he had only one season here really as an active player, and it was buried in Chans stubborn ways. How much of that was Chans fault and how much of it was Easleys is yet to be seen as Chan has lost all credibility with me in talent evaluation and talent utilization. So I am giving the kid this season to show he isnt just camp fodder.

I stand by my belief that I think he will be a surprise player in camp and that it will cost Smith his roster spot. I fully understand I am the minority on this and why. I was high on this kid coming out of college, as was I on Stevie.

That being said, IMO this is going to be a TOUGH place to get a roster spot this year at WR. Stevie, Woods, Goodwin are locks as far as I am concerned, Graham has apparently played himself into being close to a lock this off season, but that play will have to continue through training camp. I think Rogers will definitely make this team assuming he doesn't lose his spot off the field, which I don't think he will. So that leaves one spot IMO between Kaufman, Smith, and Easley assuming we keep 6 (which I think we will). So, it will be an uphill battle for sure for Easley to make this team, but I think the potential is still there.

It is TJ Grahams SECOND YEAR in the league for Christ sake.....why is everyone so down on him.

He was constantly open last year and had a QB that couldn't get him the ball

If i remember correctly L. Evans had 1 really good season & after that he was very mediocre & his last impression he left on the NFL was not a good one .

Don't get me wrong a great team guy & good veteran but nothing special when it came to WR's & we over rated him for a bit to long ...

Edited by T master