Marcel/Kyle rated #2 DT tandem in the league

Great stuff, Bandit. Love your insight and analysis. Can't wait to recite it verbatim at the water cooler and pretend like I know something about football.

As long as you liberally toss around the phrase "squeeze the hole", you'll sound quite technical.

As long as you liberally toss around the phrase "squeeze the hole", you'll sound quite technical.

HR just warned me about "squeeze the hole". Good while it lasted. Strangely, I'm still allowed to say "fit it up, thunder c#nt" and "you put the knuckle on the $$$hole, f@#$face!".

Edited by Jauronimo

I prefer "Gap Control" and "3-Technique".

What, no love for "run fits?"

HR just warned me about "squeeze the hole". Good while it lasted. Strangely, I'm still allowed to say "fit it up, thunder c#nt" and "you put the knuckle on the $$$hole, f@#$face!".

Now you're getting HIGHLY technical.

Ah so you have one of those dream jobs. I got fired for saying " it's man to man coverage not deep zone". Of course, it would have helped if I taught american football here.

From the article:

"they are better at disrupting plays rather than stuffing the run"

I think the quote above is part of the reason we sucked so badly in run d. They are trying to disrupt the offense and not filling lanes or taking on assignments. That could be a wanny problem and not something inherit in the play of these 2 d linemen.

Definitely a Wanny problem. The scheme last year was tailor made for a MLB to make plays. Unfortunately we didn't have one in the group. Too bad the Panthers took Keuchly last season. He would have made a ton of plays because they were there to be made.

And as bad as we were up the middle, we were that much worse to our rigth side. We didn't have a single DE that could set a corner and hold containment, which is critical in Wanny's defense. For a contrast, look at the job Mario did on the other side; textbook run defense out of that position last season.

People can say Williams and Dareus were the culprits but a closer look reveals they were actually pretty good most of the time. Problem was 99% bad LBs.

GO BILLS!!!

If that's the case, then we're still in deep trouble.

Kyle's great at penetrating, but I think Dareus had an awful season. Carrington played better.

Not sure why you think that...no reason that Bradham shouldn't improve, as his biggest issue last year was over-pursuit, something he can learn to improve. Alonso adds talent, as does Lawson.

Not to mention it's a different scheme altogether.

I think KW is vastly overrated, he is a good pass rusher but a liability vs the run. Since KW has been drafted the bills have

finished no better than 22nd vs the run in 2008.

2012 - 31st

2011 - 28th

2010 - 32nd

2009 - 30th

2008 - 22nd

2007 - 25th

2006 - 28th

The last year the Bills had a good defense was 2004, they finished 7th vs the run. The Bills ran starting Mlb London Fletcher out of town after the 06' season due to the failure of the run D. Fwiw it was Londons only season playing behind KW.

I think KW is vastly overrated, he is a good pass rusher but a liability vs the run. Since KW has been drafted the bills have

finished no better than 22nd vs the run in 2008.

2012 - 31st

2011 - 28th

2010 - 32nd

2009 - 30th

2008 - 22nd

2007 - 25th

2006 - 28th

The last year the Bills had a good defense was 2004, they finished 7th vs the run. The Bills ran starting Mlb London Fletcher out of town after the 06' season due to the failure of the run D. Fwiw it was Londons only season playing behind KW.

I can't fault Kyle for the defensive rankings against the run. He is a very good run defender...PFF did a few articles on him the last few years, in which they rated him in the top 5 DTs in terms of run stops forced. Here's a few links:

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2013/05/02/pffs-top-101-of-2012-30-to-21/

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2011/05/22/kyle-williams-beast/

That said, you are correct that his overall impact on the run D has been less than I'd have liked.

I think they erred by putting Atkins/Peko at #4...they're #1 in my estimation. Both of those guys are studs.

As for Kyle/Dareus, they both need to have strong bounce-back years.

A lot of the run defense in Wanny's scheme fell on the LBs and safeties, and they woefully underperformed (specifically Wilson, Sheppard, and Barnett).

Williams will almost certainly be here and starting come September. Pettine wants him to play the role that Mike DeVito played for him with the Jets, which Kyle is well-suited to play.

This seems an insane statement. Why would a team want to stop the run by its LBs and not by your two most strongest defensive men. I thought people always stopped the run by DTs occupying the space and the LBs simply came in and finished the tackles.

If that's the case, then we're still in deep trouble.

Kyle's great at penetrating, but I think Dareus had an awful season. Carrington played better.

Different schemes with different fronts and different personnel. I'll have to wait and see how Pettine fits his pieces together. But it was no shock to see him get rid of a slow to read, slow to react, slow to move MLB in favor of one that can. There were plays to be made last season because Dareus and Williams did their jobs most of the time and our LBs weren't up to it.

The new defense isn't uncomplicated and it's gonna take the better part of the season before everyone gets comfortable in it.

GO BILLS!!!

Edited by K-9

This seems an insane statement. Why would a team want to stop the run by its LBs and not by your two most strongest defensive men. I thought people always stopped the run by DTs occupying the space and the LBs simply came in and finished the tackles.

Why? Because when executed properly it works. The Bears have done it for years with their LB corps; the problem is that Buffalo didn't have Urlacher and Briggs.

Go look at that film breakdown I posted; it's very telling. Wanny's scheme was ill-conceived AND poorly executed to boot.

Different schemes with different fronts and different personnel. I'll have to wait and see how Pettine fits his pieces together. But it was no shock to see him get rid of a slow to read, slow to react, slow to move MLB in favor of one that can. There were plays to be made last season because Dareus and Williams did their jobs most of the time and our LBs weren't up to it.

The new defense isn't uncomplicated and it's gonna take the better part of the season before everyone gets comfortable in it.

GO BILLS!!!

Indeed, the plays were there to be made