Interesting draft take...

I think this is a great idea.

And to help even things out a little more, every year the Super Bowl champion should be able to hand pick any player off the remaining 31 teams rosters and sign them for league minimum.

do you really think only 1 player would be fair? i mean, they just won the superbowl so they need more help than just one player could offer. maybe you should give them the first pick in the draft as well, and maybe a mulligan on the first turnover of the season as well.

Was talking with a Raiders fan the other day and he raised an interesting idea regards the draft.

Why not introduce a reward to the team the drafts well, say either a pick or some coin or other dispensation- maybe a Veteran salary reduction. Something.

So you drafted a 1st rd that was an All-pro still with your team, maybe you could get a reduction on his salary against the cap as a veteran so he could remain at the club at his career end.

Or you drafted a 7th rd who came to be a Probowler you'd get an extra pick, not sure what value in the draft.

Reward a good draft rather than rewarding mediocrity giving them the earliest draft pick.

And remember, this is from a Raiders fan!

Isn't the reward drafting well?

Say you draft somebody who turns out to be be a Pro-Bowler or Hall of Famer...the reward is having a Pro-Bowler or Hall of Famer on the roster, not a back up corner in the 5th.

Not to mention the draft is a reflection on the season, and the season the draft.

do you really think only 1 player would be fair? i mean, they just won the superbowl so they need more help than just one player could offer. maybe you should give them the first pick in the draft as well, and maybe a mulligan on the first turnover of the season as well.

I think the mulligan is a step-too-far. Otherwise, all your points are good.

I think this idea stinks worse than a monkey. Would we as fans really want to see a system in place that rewards teams drafting well with even more consideration to compete? Presumably, most teams that draft well also do pretty well and see the playoffs now and again. Giving to the "haves" is a horrendous idea. I think the NFL draft system works better than any other sport already. There's no reason to revisit it at this point.

so a team that goes through a bad period and needs desperate help to get back on track is punished ?

a team that has been on a tear dominating gets even more ammo to continue its dominance.

this is the absolute worst idea ever