Chad Johnson, aka Ochocinco, a wanted man

Placed in that context, it's not hard for me to see why she correctly saw this guy as someone who wasn't serious about his serious situation. It's much harder for me to conclude she was having a bad day, or she wanted to "granstand" so every Joe Blow could subsequently light up message boards about what an a++hole she is

The nearly universal judgment of those people who are involved with the law and the court system believe that this judge overreacted in the courtroom and exhibited poor judgment. Explain the variance in opinion? You have repeatedly and erroneously portrayed CJ's behavior in the courtroom on that day as bad behavior. Watch the tape. He didn't act out of order and he didn't intend to act disrespectfully.

Just because you don't like a person doesn't mean that that person should be treated unfairly in court. CJ is out of jail earlier than the judge's ruling not because the judge made a wise ruling but because it was apparent even to her after a deluge of criticism that she made a poor ruling.

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The nearly universal judgment of those people who are involved with the law and the court system believe that this judge overreacted in the courtroom and exhibited poor judgment. Explain the variance in opinion? You have repeatedly and erroneously portrayed CJ's behavior in the courtroom on that day as bad behavior. Watch the tape. He didn't act out of order and he didn't intend to act disrespectfully.

Just because you don't like a person doesn't mean that that person should be treated unfairly in court. CJ is out of jail earlier than the judge's ruling not because the judge made a wise ruling but because it was apparent even to her after a deluge of criticism that she made a poor ruling.

Link me to the local DA's comments of disapproval.

John, I already listed the reasons the judge listed as to why she withdrew his parole deal. It wasn't just he slap. It was the unwanted touching of the prosecutor and the fact that he promised in his previous sentencing hearing that he would abide by the rules of parole. He completely, repeatedly blew them and the court off. At some point, Chad has to stop being Chad (if that's your argument about the butt slap). That time was at his least appearance in court. Well....he didn't stop and the judge simply had enough. You may quibble with it but I see the logic to it. That's all I'm saying.

Link me to the local DA's comments of disapproval.

Do you think that the local DA is going to publicly criticize the judge in a court that he/she and colleagues on a regular basis appear in? Of course not. They are being smart in not speaking out. You certainly haven't heard from he DAs that she acted wisely. As I have stated in prior posts the universal point of view of those who are involved with the law and are knowledgeable about the court system believe that this judge performed very badly in this particular case. Fans can afford to make judgments based on emotions. Those associated with the legal system recognize that this judge acted in a manner that tarnished the system.

John, I already listed the reasons the judge listed as to why she withdrew his parole deal. It wasn't just he slap. It was the unwanted touching of the prosecutor and the fact that he promised in his previous sentencing hearing that he would abide by the rules of parole. He completely, repeatedly blew them and the court off. At some point, Chad has to stop being Chad (if that's your argument about the butt slap). That time was at his least appearance in court. Well....he didn't stop and the judge simply had enough. You may quibble with it but I see the logic to it. That's all I'm saying.

You are creating a wider context that affected her intemperate reaction on that particular court date. Her injudicious response was to a particular court reaction to a specific CJ act that caused the courtroom to snicker. That was the basis for the changing of his sentence, not the prior behavior you alluded to.

I'll repeat what I said in the prior post: CJ is out sooner than the judge's tantrum ruling not because the judge was right in her judgment but because the avalanche of criticism she received from those who are familiar with the legal system forced her to back off from that atrocious and out of proportion ruling she made on that particular day.

Edited by JohnC

Do you think that the local DA is going to publicly criticize the judge in a court that he/she and colleagues on a regular basis appear in? Of course not. They are being smart in not speaking out. You certainly haven't heard from he DAs that she acted wisely. As I have stated in prior posts the universal point of view of those who are involved with the law and are knowledgeable about the court system believe that this judge performed very badly in this particular case. Fans can afford to make judgments based on emotions. Those associated with the legal system recognize that this judge acted in a manner that tarnished the system.

You are creating a wider context that affected her intemperate reaction on that particular court date. Her injudicious response was to a particular court reaction to a specific CJ act that caused the courtroom to snicker. That was the basis for the changing of his sentence, not the prior behavior you alluded to.

I'll repeat what I said in the prior post: CJ is out sooner than the judge's tantrum ruling not because the judge was right in her judgment but because the avalanche of criticism she received from those who are familiar with the legal system forced her to back off from that atrocious and out of proportion ruling she made on that particular day.

The DA is not going to criticize a judge who gives a criminal a harhser sentence--any more than a kid would complain about getting more presents than they wanted at Christmas.

And I certainly have not "created a wider context"---I'm quoting the context given by the judge herself, explaining her decision on that day. You know this, so why are you attributing this to me?

And your claim that the entire legal community feels this judge "tarnished the legal" system is certainly a conclusion you made up.

The DA is not going to criticize a judge who gives a criminal a harhser sentence--any more than a kid would complain about getting more presents than they wanted at Christmas.

The DA's office is not going to get involved in a public spat with a judge that they often appear before. The DA's office and CD's defense attorney worked out a plea deal that they and the judge were agreeable to. There are without a doubt many cases and circumstances where DAs believe that a sentence was disproportionate to the crime, especially when the defense is cooperating with the prosecution.

And I certainly have not "created a wider context"---I'm quoting the context given by the judge herself, explaining her decision on that day. You know this, so why are you attributing this to me?

We are just going to respectfully disagree on this point. My position is that this judge changed her initial ruling because of a particular act on a particular day. You believe otherwise. Let's leave it at that.

And your claim that the entire legal community feels this judge "tarnished the legal" system is certainly a conclusion you made up.

I didn't say the entire legal community believed such and such. I did state that the near universal opinion of the legal community is that this judge exhibited poor courtroom presence and judgment. It certainly is my opinion (have repeated it in many ways) that this judge did diminish the reputation of the court with her intemperate behavior and poor judgment.

The DA's office is not going to get involved in a public spat with a judge that they often appear before. The DA's office and CD's defense attorney worked out a plea deal that they and the judge were agreeable to. There are without a doubt many cases and circumstances where DAs believe that a sentence was disproportionate to the crime, especially when the defense is cooperating with the prosecution.

It is worth noting that this was the second deal he was offered; the second time he was allowed to avoid jail time--despite the fact that he utterly ignored and violated the terms of his first deal.

I can't imagine a single case where the DA thought the sentence was too harsh. Remember, as a violator of parole, Johnson was facing a maximum of 1 year in jail. There is simply no way I will believe that the DA was in any way against this sentence.

We are just going to respectfully disagree on this point. My position is that this judge changed her initial ruling because of a particular act on a particular day. You believe otherwise. Let's leave it at that.

You can disagree, but the judge has been explicit in her explanation of why she ruled that way on that day. It has nothing to do with my beliefs--I'm just repeating what she gave as her reasoning. I happen to understand her reasoning and the context which she provided, which is crucial to interpretting her actions on that day.

I didn't say the entire legal community believed such and such. I did state that the near universal opinion of the legal community is that this judge exhibited poor courtroom presence and judgment. It certainly is my opinion (have repeated it in many ways) that this judge did diminish the reputation of the court with her intemperate behavior and poor judgment.

With all due respect, John, that's a distinction without a difference. But I respect your opinion.

You can disagree, but the judge has been explicit in her explanation of why she ruled that way on that day. It has nothing to do with my beliefs--I'm just repeating what she gave as her reasoning. I happen to understand her reasoning and the context which she provided, which is crucial to interpretting her actions on that day.

Chad Johnson is out of jail now, prior to the end of her 30 day sentence. Obviously she wasn't steadfast in having him complete her disproportionate sentencing. Maybe the deluge of criticism she received from the legal community was a factor in her backtracking a bit?????

With all due respect, John, that's a distinction without a difference. But I respect your opinion.

The overwhelming view of the legal community (not the emotional and reactionary fanbase ) (not putting you in that category) believes that the judge exhibited poor judgment and behavior on that particular day. You might not accept that view but from what I have read and heard it is easy for me to make that assessment and be comfortablewith my position. If you think differently, then so be it.

This case has struck a nerve with me because I felt after watching the video clip that an easy target, a very unlikeable and obnoxious person, was treated unfairly by a judge who has a lot of authority over the lives of people. Saying that she abused her authority might be too strong, but without a doubt she exhibited poor judgment; at least that is how I see it. Clearly you see it differently. Let's just chalk it up to respectful disagreement..

Edited by JohnC