Chad Johnson, aka Ochocinco, a wanted man

and because of those cameras likely was A LOT more sensitive towards the idea of a star showing her up.

on an aside, im also pretty surprised he didnt atleast wear a suit, or get a little more formal for the event (say, sleeves for instance). i guess it speaks to what a casual event he and his lawyer expected it to be.... ooops.

I was told by a well known lawyer in the area that when in court, dress for success at all times, no matter what the reason why you are there.

It shows the court you have respect for the Judge, which can't be a bad thing to do.

Edited by Bufcomments

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I usually agree with your posts but not this time.

She changed her mind on the spot because it was clear to her that Chad was not taking it seriously. You just don't do anything in COURT. Don't you think she was giving Chad a break by just giving him more probation?

She even knew she was giving him a 2nd chance. She didn't have to accept the plea deal. But Chad, being the fool he is, did something that none of us normal people would ever think about doing in Court.

He was grandstanding in a courtroom, you cant do that to a judge who has the power to send you to jail, and she did lol

I don't disagree with you that she interpreted CJ's slap and resulting laughter as a sign of disrespect toward her and the court. I don't disagree with you that she interpreted his behavior as a lack of seriousness on the defendant's part.

However, after watching the clip I am convinced that he didn't act or intend to act in a frivolous way. When the judge told him that he should be thankful that his attorney worked out a deal very favorable to him he then responded with his discreet backslap.He intended to show his attorney that he appreciated his efforts. In his way he was acknowledging the point that the judge made in stating that his attorney did a good job on his behalf.

Chad is a fool. No one is disputing that. He wouldn't be appearing in this court if that wasn't the case. But in my view the judge overreacted and over-interpreted a gesture that he in no way intended to be disrespectful and frivolous. In my view she should have admonished the bailiff and those in the courtroom for their lack of decorum instead of acting out of irritation.

As I stated in prior posts if the judge decided to send CJ to jail I would not question her judgment. But to send him to jail after she agreed to a plea deal because of his backside slap was in my opinion unfair.

and because of those cameras likely was A LOT more sensitive towards the idea of a star showing her up.

on an aside, im also pretty surprised he didnt atleast wear a suit, or get a little more formal for the event (say, sleeves for instance). i guess it speaks to what a casual event he and his lawyer expected it to be.... ooops.

Chad Johnson is an unsophisticated dope. He and his attorney went to court with an expectation that the prearranged plea deal would be enacted. Although his dress was not very formal (suit and tie) he wasn't dressed inappropriately. He was in a lower Florida court where his neat and casual attire is considered to be very acceptable. This was supposed to be a very quick and routine proceeding. Much to his surprise he got entagled with a tempermental judge.

Edited by JohnC

I was told by a well known lawyer in the area that when in court, dress for success at all times, no matter what the reason why you are there.

It shows the court you have respect for the Judge, which can't be a bad thing to do.

obviously, you leave as little to chance as possible.... but it doesnt mean that a good judge should let things like that effect them. they are human, but when they let their ego get in the way of a just outcome things have gone terribly wrong.

she said thank your lawyer, and he gave a little thank you tap to his lawyer - i think as much as being a little playful, it was meant to be a quiet acknowledgement that he was appreciative of his lawyers work and listening to what she had to say. it wasnt smart, and he left the door open but that doesnt mean she had any business running through the way she did.

@BonnieBernstein

Chad Johnson jail time: zero to do w domestic violence; everything to do w judge feeling she lost her courtroom. Abuse of power

a few lawyers ive heard chime in have said the same. honestly, ive yet to hear a legal opinion really come out on her side on this yet. a lot of fans backing her, but the "legal experts" seem to be saying she made it about something other than the law which isnt fair.

Edited by NoSaint

I don't disagree with you that she interpreted CJ's slap and resulting laughter as a sign of disrespect toward her and the court. I don't disagree with you that she interpreted his behavior as a lack of seriousness on the defendant's part.

Well if a judge agrees to a plea that gives a recidivist criminal a break and then immediately gets the impression he is not taking this break seriously, isn't she entitled to withdraw the sweet deal she just agreed to? Wasn't the deal intended to give him the benefit of the doubt? Then why on earth would you fault her if she thinks he lacks the seriousness the situation requires (and that the deal demands and is contingent upon)?

obviously, you leave as little to chance as possible.... but it doesnt mean that a good judge should let things like that effect them. they are human, but when they let their ego get in the way of a just outcome things have gone terribly wrong.

she said thank your lawyer, and he gave a little thank you tap to his lawyer - i think as much as being a little playful, it was meant to be a quiet acknowledgement that he was appreciative of his lawyers work and listening to what she had to say. it wasnt smart, and he left the door open but that doesnt mean she had any business running through the way she did.

This wasn't a little tap. It was Chad, in any way he could, showboating. Most men shake hands. He chose to do this instead. It was totally fake, like all public acts of this guy. He opened the door and streaked through. He's proven too stupid to be free.

a few lawyers ive heard chime in have said the same. honestly, ive yet to hear a legal opinion really come out on her side on this yet. a lot of fans backing her, but the "legal experts" seem to be saying she made it about something other than the law which isnt fair.

I doubt the DAs office is complaining.

I have little regard for Chad Johnson as a person. He is an immature and irresponsible person whose life is in shambles because of his own recklessness. But the response he received from the judge for the tap on his attorney was simply outrageous. The judge was very irritated by the laughter of the crowd after he tapped his attorney. He didn't do it to show disrespect to the judge or the court. He didn't tap his attorney to get a response from the people in the court. The judge told Ocho that he should be very thankful that his attorney worked out a favorable plea deal that kept him out of jail. That is when he tapped his attorney.

From what I observed from the clip it was the judge who acted in a very injudicious way. She exercised poor judgment and abused her authority by sending him to jail for behavior that was harmless. When I first heard the story about the judge rejecting the plea agreement I thought that it was for improper behavior in court. From what I saw from the that clip he didn't exhibit any inapproprite behavior or disrespect toward the court. This is a case where the judge should be sanctioned by the legal reviewing authorities for intemperate and injudicious behavior.

Even jackasses should be treated fairly in court. He wasn't in this case. It is a travesty.

He was treated fairly. He was given the chance to take plea and show that he this seriuosly.The poor judgement was on the part of Chad. Total lack of respect for the court system, not just the judge. This is a serious situation that he was given a break for. He just doesn't seem to understand how serious this was. This is a court room and you must act appropriately. To me, he seemed to take this as a joke and so did the judge. This is just my opinion. Guess the joke is on Chad now.

Disagree.

I'm with those who believe she overreacted to the laughter. Some judges don't have the right temperament and even if they do, they sometimes have bad moments.

I think she decided that it was an affront to her authority when it wasn't.

No. I usually agree w/you and against WEO. In this case, WEO is right... IMO :-O

A public defender wouldn't have never bee sniffing freedom for Ocho Stinko. Paying for a hired gun got him the plea and off doing time. Clown act null and voided that pull.

This wasn't a little tap. It was Chad, in any way he could, showboating. Most men shake hands. He chose to do this instead. It was totally fake, like all public acts of this guy. He opened the door and streaked through. He's proven too stupid to be free.

Did you watch the clip? If that is showboating then deep breathing is a criminal offense.

an unstable judge who felt she lost control of the courtroom. i am no fan of johnson, but this judge overreacted, johnson just gave a playful pat on the rear, done in sports lots, judge is a classic a-hole

an unstable judge who felt she lost control of the courtroom. i am no fan of johnson, but this judge overreacted, johnson just gave a playful pat on the rear, done in sports lots, judge is a classic a-hole

Yep. The characterization of Johnson as showboating doesn't jive with the video.

Is 85 clueless? Yes.

Was he trying to be disrespectful? No.

Chad is like a child who'll never grow up because until now he's never had to.

When you show up to a courtroom with the intent of making a plea bargain, you don't act "playful". It's disrespectful to the judge and just shows that CJ thought he was above it all. Let's be fair here too. There was no deal accepted and then somehow taken away. His attorney was requesting the plea deal from the judge that would have kept him out of jail. He got 30 days, but could have gotten as many as a YEAR. I would say if anything, that he was lucky she didn't throw the book at him. Her anger and comments may have been an overreaction, but her sentence clearly was not.

Yep. The characterization of Johnson as showboating doesn't jive with the video.

Is 85 clueless? Yes.

Was he trying to be disrespectful? No.

Chad is like a child who'll never grow up because until now he's never had to.

yea, totally agree.

When you show up to a courtroom with the intent of making a plea bargain, you don't act "playful". It's disrespectful to the judge and just shows that CJ thought he was above it all. Let's be fair here too. There was no deal accepted and then somehow taken away. His attorney was requesting the plea deal from the judge that would have kept him out of jail. He got 30 days, but could have gotten as many as a YEAR. I would say if anything, that he was lucky she didn't throw the book at him. Her anger and comments may have been an overreaction, but her sentence clearly was not.

of course you dont! BUT SHE ASKED HIM THE QUESTION!.. he just answered it, nothing to do with the plea deal.the judge seems to be in way over her head if something like that throws her off after she precipitated it. Edited by dwight in philly

yea, totally agree.

of course you dont! BUT SHE ASKED HIM THE QUESTION!.. he just answered it, nothing to do with the plea deal.the judge seems to be in way over her head if something like that throws her off after she precipitated it.

And he could have politely said "yes". Instead he butt slaps his attorney. Not appropriate behavior for the courtroom. It doesn't matter what the judge asks you. You don't treat it like a game. His fault.

Edited by Luxy312

And he could have politely said "yes". Instead he butt slaps his attorney. Not appropriate behavior for the courtroom. It doesn't matter what the judge asks you. You don't treat it like a game. His fault.

just because a judge CAN do something, doesnt mean a judge SHOULD do something. we trust them with HUGE amounts of power over the lives of people, and she came up short in that regard this time around.

just because a judge CAN do something, doesnt mean a judge SHOULD do something. we trust them with HUGE amounts of power over the lives of people, and she came up short in that regard this time around.

As I said before, I significantly disagree. He could have gotten up to a 1 year sentence and he got 30 days when CJ's attorney was asking for 0. She didn't split the difference or give him the maximum. People have gotten 30 days in jail for flipping off a police officer. That's over reaching. His penalty was NOT because of the butt slap, but for probation violation on a domestic violence case involving his then wife. Like many, you're just not understanding what the penalty was for and trying to attribute one to the other.

As I said before, I significantly disagree. He could have gotten up to a 1 year sentence and he got 30 days when CJ's attorney was asking for 0. She didn't split the difference or give him the maximum. People have gotten 30 days in jail for flipping off a police officer. That's over reaching. His penalty was NOT because of the butt slap, but for probation violation on a domestic violence case involving his then wife. Like many, you're just not understanding what the penalty was for and trying to attribute one to the other.

i am under the assumption that johnson, his attorney, and the D A had a deal worked out that only needed the judge's approval, which almost 100 percent of the time happens. again, this judge has issues if she sends a guy like johnson to jail after a deal has been agreed upon.

i am under the assumption that johnson, his attorney, and the D A had a deal worked out that only needed the judge's approval, which almost 100 percent of the time happens. again, this judge has issues if she sends a guy like johnson to jail after a deal has been agreed upon.

While it's true that the plea bargain was worked out between the attorneys, it always needs to be approved by the judge. That's the point here. Attorneys are merely advocates and nothing more. The judge takes into account statements from both sides and enters a judgement. He plead no contest to domestic violence previously, which carries a sentence of up to a year. This plea bargain sought to keep him out of prison. He originally plead no contest to domestic battery. He took a deal to avoid jail time then and got 12 months probation instead of jail (which he should have gotten then IMO). Maybe it's just my opinion, but I think if you do the crime that you should be guaranteed doing the time. In this case, he ultimately ends up with a little slap on the wrist for hitting a woman. Pretty minor in the grand scheme of things.